Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Dumping Toys Is Driving Me Insane!!
Crazy8 11:19 AM 06-16-2014
I have a young group, oldest is JUST newly 3 years old - others are anywhere from 4 months to 2 1/2. We have those cubeicals with the fabric bins in them in the playroom and all they seem to do is dump them on the floor and then move on. They don't actually play with what they dumped out (blocks, trains/cars, little people, etc.).

I know its a stage and eventually they get the hang of playing and putting away, etc. but the smaller ones have no concept of how to clean up yet and they are doing most of the dumping so me and the 2.5 & 3yo's get stuck doing the clean up.

Should I just remove some of these toys for now? Are there better ideas on toys to have available for a daycare that rarely has a child over 3?? Even the toy kitchen - doors get opened and closed and food gets tossed everywhere but the younger ones (10m-18m) just have no clue how to really play with things yet.

I need to have some toys available for playing - what are some good non-dumpable toys???
Mom o Col 11:33 AM 06-16-2014
I know this isn't helpful but you just reminded me of when my son and the kids I used to care for would do this. I called it the dump and run. No matter what I did I couldn't make it stop. I took pictures of the mess (I don't know why). But now that my boy is almost 11 I'm glad I did, it seems funny now. It isn't funny when you are going through it though.

Heidi 11:38 AM 06-16-2014
-Make sure there is one thing they are allowed to dump. "We don't dump blocks, but you can dump this bucket...and fill it...and dump it...and fill it...lol

-Remove a lot of the toys and rotate toys.

-I got these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and velcro'd them down to my shelves with heavy-duty velcro. Not even my "hulk" has gotten them off yet...it's been 6 or 7 weeks since I got them.
Childminder 11:40 AM 06-16-2014
Streamline and put almost all of the toys away for awhile just keeping out a few. Rotate weekly or biweekly until they get a bit older and let them use their imagination more. This time of year we are outside more than in, they play better and naps are better and longer.

Also if you have clear containers and they are labeled cleanup is so much easier. I have my toys in clear containers with a photo and a word on each container. There is also a photo and label on each shelf. The clear containers also have a lid that most children can't get off with out asking so they have to clean up one before I'll open the next.

Head Start is laid out this way and based on HighScope which you can research online. I have been doing daycare a looonnnngggg time and went with the HighScope lay out about 5 years ago, amazing how cleanup time has improved.
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
-Make sure there is one thing they are allowed to dump. "We don't dump blocks, but you can dump this bucket...and fill it...and dump it...and fill it...lol

-I got these:

and velcro'd them down to my shelves with heavy-duty velcro. Not even my "hulk" has gotten them off yet...it's been 6 or 7 weeks since I got them.

Yes this... allow them to dump certain things.

The rest, fasten down or put it up so those things aren't available for dumping.
DaisyMamma 11:44 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I have a young group, oldest is JUST newly 3 years old - others are anywhere from 4 months to 2 1/2. We have those cubeicals with the fabric bins in them in the playroom and all they seem to do is dump them on the floor and then move on. They don't actually play with what they dumped out (blocks, trains/cars, little people, etc.).

I know its a stage and eventually they get the hang of playing and putting away, etc. but the smaller ones have no concept of how to clean up yet and they are doing most of the dumping so me and the 2.5 & 3yo's get stuck doing the clean up.

Should I just remove some of these toys for now? Are there better ideas on toys to have available for a daycare that rarely has a child over 3?? Even the toy kitchen - doors get opened and closed and food gets tossed everywhere but the younger ones (10m-18m) just have no clue how to really play with things yet.
It may be just a phase, but when they grow out of it, other kids grow into it.
I finally got to the point where I went out and bought a huge cabinet. All the toys are in it. They can take out whatever they want, but for some reason, they dont dump and pull more out. They play with what they take out, regardless of age.
Crazy8 02:22 PM 06-16-2014
how would a 10 month old know what bin he can dump and which he can't though????

I already took away all the board books because I was tired of the 15 month old pulling them all out and ripping them. Yes, I tried telling him we don't rip books, etc. but he would go right back to them an hour later like I didn't say a word.

The older ones (2.5 & 3) are great about knowing where all the toys go, and I had them both since they were younger so I know it gets better and they do learn but I will always have a few that are under 18 months, when the 10 month old starts to understand the now 4 month old will be into that stuff and there will be a new baby right behind him. Feel like its never ending!!
Crazy8 02:24 PM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Yes this... allow them to dump certain things.

The rest, fasten down or put it up so those things aren't available for dumping.
I'd be putting almost everything up high, LOL!!! So I guess my real question is what toys SHOULD I have for my daycare since smaller toys in bins just don't work well for us???
Leanna 02:53 PM 06-16-2014
Since you have a lot of littles, try to put out toys that are "one piece." Things like:
Wire bead mazes
Dolls
Stuffed animals
Large cars & trucks
Jack-in-the-Box
Balls
Other ideas:
http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Busy...p+toy+for+baby

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-...sh+down+turtle

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGGB5JQ?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...2Ck%3Atryangle

Then I would only have a few baskets of things that they CAN dump such as blocks, pop beads, or duplos and a variety of rattles, teethers, etc. for the little babies.

If you can perhaps you could arrange your room so that the older ones and the little ones each have a separate space. This would give the older ones access to things the younger ones aren't quite ready for and it would allow a safe place for the little to explore their toys.

I also agree that taking a photo of whatever goes in the bin and labeling the shelves are great ways to help kids learn what goes where. It is a process, but they do learn eventually!
Heidi 02:55 PM 06-16-2014
how would a 10 month old know what bin he can dump and which he can't though????

I already took away all the board books because I was tired of the 15 month old pulling them all out and ripping them. Yes, I tried telling him we don't rip books, etc. but he would go right back to them an hour later like I didn't say a word.

The older ones (2.5 & 3) are great about knowing where all the toys go, and I had them both since they were younger so I know it gets better and they do learn but I will always have a few that are under 18 months, when the 10 month old starts to understand the now 4 month old will be into that stuff and there will be a new baby right behind him. Feel like its never ending!!
I have it set up like this:

4 of those baskets that are fastened down have a rotation of smaller toys. Currently, they have musical instruments, stacking wooden robots, plastic animals, and multi-cultural people. If it's available and attractive in wood vs. plastic, that's what I've gotten.

The other shelf has some sensory bottles (soda bottles with oil, water, and glitter in various colors), a large juice bottle with some round wooden clothes pins, and a basket of balls. I also have part of my wooden kitchen, with 2 plates, 2 cups, a few utensils, a pot with a lid, a frypan, and an oven mitt. There is also a low table with a large basket of duplos. There is also a coat tree with several hats, and a mirror mounted at toddler height on the wall. That's the playroom. Out of reach, there are assorted bins of other things, plus a some toy kitchen appliances (coffee maker, toaster, mixer). They have to "ask" for those. I don't micro manage their use, but when I find them abandoned on the floor, I put them back up. I also have a toddler sized table and 6" high chairs. Oh, and baby dolls with a blanket and a cradle. I also currently have a "circus tent" from IKEA that is filled with pillows and stuffed animals.

In the living room, I have 2 kids chairs and a rack of books. Books that are thrown on the floor go up right away. In the dining area, I have (out of reach) various table-top items like wooden puzzles, shape sorters, simple art supplies (more in storage), and clay supplies. They don't have free access to those things, although if they "ask", I will help them up to their chairs and they can use them. When I make lunch, they get a chance to use the puzzles, etc, too.

We also have a covered front porch...which serves as a 2nd playroom. Out there are the "Little People" toys. A house, a barn, and a garage, plus various cars and such. Lastly, I have a Step 2 sensory table, which I only use for water on hot days. I don't do sand, etc, because I just won't. I do have a big sandbox in the play yard.

Ok...so, that's my list of toys. Some of the things I have put away right now (because they are too young or to rotate) are wooden unit blocks, tree blocks, Mr. Potato Heads, Lincoln Logs, K'Nex Jr., tons more kitchen stuff, dress up clothes, puzzles for older kids, dress-up bears, bean bags, and a few other things I can't remember. I just ordered Magna Tiles, magnetic gears, a road map rug, bristle blocks, and paint tubs and brushes. If I had more space, I'd have a loft and a light table.

Sorry that was so long, but you got me thinking! I, too, would take the books away from his reach if he eats/rips them. Maybe you could put them just out of reach, so the other kiddos can get at them, but not him?
greentea78 02:59 PM 06-16-2014
Now that I'm focusing on 0-3, I took almost all of my little bins of toys out. I kept 1 bin with cars and 1 with alphabet blocks. They also have a shape sorter and bigger bucket of megabloks (but they can't dump that). I decided I wanted mostly bigger toys for that reason. They still have toys to play with, but not as much to dump. I have a lot of little people toys (buses, tractors, farms, etc. I also have toys they can push around and play with.

eta- also got rid of my play kitchen and the food that went along with it, they never played with it. It was just taking up room.
Crazy8 07:16 AM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by greentea78:
Now that I'm focusing on 0-3, I took almost all of my little bins of toys out. I kept 1 bin with cars and 1 with alphabet blocks. They also have a shape sorter and bigger bucket of megabloks (but they can't dump that). I decided I wanted mostly bigger toys for that reason. They still have toys to play with, but not as much to dump. I have a lot of little people toys (buses, tractors, farms, etc. I also have toys they can push around and play with.

eta- also got rid of my play kitchen and the food that went along with it, they never played with it. It was just taking up room.
This is what I'm thinking I need to do more of. I like the cubbies as dividers in the room but I may have to get rid of one or two.

I tried to set up a "baby area" in my small playroom but the big kids (who are only 2-3) end up playing over there all the time, they like playing with a lot of the baby stuff since they really aren't that old themselves. My playroom isn't very big but its become very overcrowded as things got added to it. Think its time for a purge!
sally 07:22 AM 06-17-2014
All my kids were horrible at dumping toys out and fighting picking them up. I reduced the number of toys out and they are bigger sizes like another said- dolls, stuffed animals, the beads on a wire toys and such. If my older kids want to play with smaller toys or puzzles I gate off the dining room area for them and the littles stay in the livingroom.
NightOwl 07:45 AM 06-17-2014

-I got these:

This is an EXCELLENT idea Heidi!!
NightOwl 08:06 AM 06-17-2014

-I got these:

I just ordered these!
greentea78 10:19 AM 06-17-2014
This is what I'm thinking I need to do more of. I like the cubbies as dividers in the room but I may have to get rid of one or two.

I tried to set up a "baby area" in my small playroom but the big kids (who are only 2-3) end up playing over there all the time, they like playing with a lot of the baby stuff since they really aren't that old themselves. My playroom isn't very big but its become very overcrowded as things got added to it. Think its time for a purge!
I had a 3 and a 5 year old that would help pick up so all the boxes getting dumped didn't bother as much as when I have to do it myself. Lol. Plus they liked all the little toys. The littler ones just don't play with them as much. My playroom isn't huge either so downsizing a bit on the toys was a good idea.
saved4always 11:30 AM 06-17-2014
I used to have a young group like that who dumped everything. I used those fabric bins, too. I ended up only allowing one bin out at a time and I "hid" the rest where they couldn't get them...either on a high shelf or in the next room. That way they could only play one or 2 types of toys at a time and it was so much easier to clean up. They were perfectly happy and I was much happier, too.
Michelle 12:29 PM 06-17-2014
I think someone mentioned velcro on the bottom,
I am thinking this will help
I used to have the same problem too, but I would take most of their toys away and tell them I am giving them to the daycare next door. ( they have seen them so they know I am not bluffing) lol
I tell them those kids will clean up their playroom
Then after a week i bring them back in the playroom and the kids clean up after themselves
NightOwl 01:15 PM 06-17-2014
The industrial strength velcro or the regular stuff?
Heidi 01:48 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
The industrial strength velcro or the regular stuff?
Industrial stuff. So far, so good! Each basket has one strip about 5-6 inches long on it. If they do get them off, I''ll double it.
Crazy8 10:56 AM 06-18-2014
Ok, so looking at cutting down on the number of bins/cubbies I have and looking at getting a few toys that are just a little too big to put in those cubbies squares so now my question is….. what do you put those toys on/in???

I had put the cubbies in different areas to make "centers" but in all honesty these kids do not get down on the floor and play - they all like to stand and play. The lower 6 cubbie unit they play on top of (24" high) but the taller 9 cubbie storage is 3 ft. high and too high for them to play on.
Crazy8 11:03 AM 06-18-2014
you need to pull the bins out to get to what's inside so don't think the velcro would help me.
Reply Up