Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default New Little Guy And Road Rash

This is my new little guy who started with me still being nursed and sleeping with mom and needing one on one attention every minute of daycare otherwise would be crying.

Well I finally got him to sleep in a pack and play only he is now screaming for the first 5 minutes and then he sits facing the mesh side of the pack and play and rubs his head on the mesh until he falls asleep in a sitting position. He is getting the worst looking road rash on his forhead because of this. He came again on Monday with it almost cleared up ( because he is sleeping with mom) and after nap on Monday it is back again!!!! Looks terrible. I told mom what it was and she gets the big sad doe eyes and is really upset for him.

I just want to shake her and tell her she cAused this whole scenario but as you know we all have to be Mary freaking Poppins all the time so we can't tell them the truth about how they are screwing up their kids. Can you tell I am stressed?

Other than duct taping him to the middle of the pack and play mattress (just kidding) I don't know how to keep him from rubbing his head. All four side are mesh!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is my new little guy who started with me still being nursed and sleeping with mom and needing one on one attention every minute of daycare otherwise would be crying.

Well I finally got him to sleep in a pack and play only he is now screaming for the first 5 minutes and then he sits facing the mesh side of the pack and play and rubs his head on the mesh until he falls asleep in a sitting position. He is getting the worst looking road rash on his forhead because of this. He came again on Monday with it almost cleared up ( because he is sleeping with mom) and after nap on Monday it is back again!!!! Looks terrible. I told mom what it was and she gets the big sad doe eyes and is really upset for him.

I just want to shake her and tell her she cAused this whole scenario but as you know we all have to be Mary freaking Poppins all the time so we can't tell them the truth about how they are screwing up their kids. Can you tell I am stressed?

Other than duct taping him to the middle of the pack and play mattress (just kidding) I don't know how to keep him from rubbing his head. All four side are mesh!!!
I'd start calling for pick up after he cries for X amount of minutes.

His routine at home is 100% different than your expectations in care. Poor little dude is injuring himself because you are not doing what he has been trained to do.

Instead of putting yourself and him in this position (which has the potential of being bad) I'd give the issue back to the person that created it. MOM.

"Sorry DCM but I can not allow Billy to cause injury to himself because he has not been provided the tools he needs to thrive in group care.

Since you have created a routine at home that I cannot replicate in care I have no other option other than calling for pick up when I have exhausted all efforts to get Billy to sleep. I will NOT allow him to continue to cause injury to himself as a result of this.

Please plan accordingly should he be required to be picked up daily."


NO way would I allow myself to be put in that position.
I am sorry you are dealing with this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2017, 08:55 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Oh man that is rough. I do not understand why parents that use daycare think kids like this will be ok for 8+ hours a day. My two most difficult babies are babies that are nursed. I suspect co-sleeping and all night nursing(so mom can sleep). They have improved otherwise I would be calling for pick up or terminating care. How old is he?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,272
Default

You could sew a couple of towels over sides of mesh.That way he won't injure himself.Even a old sheet basted over the mesh would work.I repaired a ripped side once with a flat sheet .I used big ,multiple stiches worked great.Mom probally won't not sleep with him.You can bet eventually she will be upset about the rash.Another idea for now would be to coat his head with Vaseline.Messy but would do the job.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
You could sew a couple of towels over sides of mesh.That way he won't injure himself.Even a old sheet basted over the mesh would work.I repaired a ripped side once with a flat sheet .I used big ,multiple stiches worked great.Mom probally won't not sleep with him.You can bet eventually she will be upset about the rash.Another idea for now would be to coat his head with Vaseline.Messy but would do the job.
Check with licensing first.... in my state if you are caught with blankets even hanging on the edge of a PNP (even when not in use) you could be fined for unsafe sleep practices. Fines here range from $200 to $1000 depending.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:17 PM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,272
Default

I think if the material is sewn on it would become part of the pack and play.I might be wrong but if child can not get material off then it would be safe.Thats why I did not suggest double sided Velcro,for fear child would just rip it off.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
I think if the material is sewn on it would become part of the pack and play.I might be wrong but if child can not get material off then it would be safe.Thats why I did not suggest double sided Velcro,for fear child would just rip it off.
We can't have PNP's here with any repairs or alterations.

New and in same condition as purchased.
My state is super strict on this topic.

Honestly, I'd just opt for a mini-crib or regular crib instead of using a PNP.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Can't use a proper crib because mom says he bangs his head against the side until he bruises. That is why he is sleeping with them. UGGGGG
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-2017, 03:04 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

I think this child may be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'm picturing him rubbing his forehead until he makes sores that leave scars.

Can you transition him to a mat?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2017, 03:07 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,050
Default

How old is he? Time for a cot or a mat. Sit next to him patting his back or rump until he falls asleep.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,272
Default

I would sit next to him and rub his back or verbally shush him until he fell asleep.I would have the parents sign off on Vaseline and coat his head where he has been rubbing.My state was not that specific about new and in original condition for pack and plays.We could only have 3 under 2 and only 6 children. I was able to sit in napping room crocheting or eating my lunch while everyone fell asleep.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM
HappyEverAfter's Avatar
HappyEverAfter HappyEverAfter is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 424
Default

What if you applied a barrier cream or ointment to his face so that the friction wouldn't cause a rash? Like what marathon runners use on their thighs and upper arms.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,748
Default

Has the parent discussed this behavior with the child's pediatrician?

Depending on the whole child, this behavior could indicate a neurological issue or developmental delay....

I know it is and can be common but when it interferes with sounds sleep on a daily basis it should be discussed with the child's pediatrician.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...c-body-rocking
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
road rash

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming