Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Any Of You NOT Use Swings, Bouncers, Exersaucers, Etc.?
SunflowerMama 11:48 AM 06-22-2011
I'm adding some infants over the next few months and just wondering who gets through their day without the use of baby swings, bouncy chairs, exersaucers, etc.

We didn't have much for our girls when they were infants and they spent most of their day on the floor...which I think is great.

I have limited space so I don't want to get too many additional items if we didn't necessarily need them. Just don't know if I may need something for while I'm preparing lunch or working with the preschoolers if they get tired of floor play but I want to get the bare minimum as far as equipment.

What do you use every day for for the infants and what could you live without? They will both be 3 months old when they start.
Cat Herder 11:57 AM 06-22-2011
We are not allowed to use any restraint devices with infants in care for pay.

Mats, good quality toys and lots of gravity are just what they need.
wdmmom 12:33 PM 06-22-2011
I only use exersaucers.

I take the infants off the floor to let the toddlers play and when the toddlers have breakfast, lunch, snack, the infant has the floor.

Works out great!
MarinaVanessa 12:37 PM 06-22-2011
I'm in CA and we aren't allowed to use bouncy seats, excersausers or walkers. We can use swings but that's about it. When my son was born and up to about 6 months the swing was a lifesaver. Here we can't keep a baby in a pack n play or play yard (licensing considers them cribs) unless they're sleeping and we can't keep an infant in a baby swing if they're sleeping so I would alternate back and forth from the two depending if he was awake or not when I made meals, cleaned up and did activities with the DC kids. The swing was really helpful to me. Other than that the baby just hung out on the floor near me on his own blanket or baby gym which was his "space".
littlemissmuffet 12:37 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Mats, good quality toys and lots of gravity are just what they need.
Agreed. No restraint devices used here either.
Meyou 12:57 PM 06-22-2011
I have an exersaucer but I rarely use it. It's been in storage for over a year now. I prefer a mat on the floor and lots of fun toys. Sometimes I'll use a pack and play for safety with itty bitty babies but only if my crew is having a rowdy day.
cheerfuldom 01:07 PM 06-22-2011
I have one bouncer, one excersaucer and two swings (and 3 babies). I don't think my state restricts restraint devices for licensed places but I am not licensed anyway. I would at least have a pack n play or gated off area with toys as a safe place to put baby. My older kids are not rough with the babies but things do happen on accident and I don't put little ones on the floor until they can crawl (unless I am right there with direct supervision)
mac60 01:54 PM 06-22-2011
I have a baby swing, and a walker, which I don't use much due to space. Definately use bouncy seats for infants. I don't understand why these items are called "restraints", as just what is an infant supposed to do/sit in, etc, all day. Some of the statements make these items sound bad. They have been around for many many years.
youretooloud 01:58 PM 06-22-2011
I have a rocker baby seat, and a bouncy seat. (a walker on bungee cords)

The rocker gets way more use than the bungee thing... although the bungee does seem like more fun.

Otherwise, I just use slings, wraps or mei tais.
sharlan 02:48 PM 06-22-2011
No, I guess CA finds it safer for the infant to be on the floor with older children running around.
MarinaVanessa 03:56 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
No, I guess CA finds it safer for the infant to be on the floor with older children running around.
Yeah really, tell me about it .
kathiemarie 04:09 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
We can thank providers that would leave them in boucey seat etc. all day.
AnythingsPossible 07:09 AM 06-23-2011
I only use an excersaucer when we are outside playing. Once I get my infant outdoor area figured out, I won't use it anymore. No swings or bouncers.
greenhouse 12:18 PM 06-23-2011
I have a swing and exersaucer- one baby screams his head off when not being held so I was using the exersaucer when I needed to put him down to change other babies diapers, etc. because he crawls all over me if I don't put him "in" something. I just switched to using his highchair instead and he never cries when he's in it.
Tags:bouncers, exersaucer, swingset
Reply Up