Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constipation Causing Fever??
Lilbutterflie 03:50 PM 04-05-2012
I sent home 16 mo dcb yesterday b/c he developed a sustained fever of 100.3 (my policy is anything over 100 is excludable from daycare for 24 hrs regardless of the cause). I told dcm I had not noticed any other symptoms, but I had noticed he was straining to have a BM and then crying after.

I texted dcm today to see how he was doing, and she said the fever had not returned after last night; but he was very tired and constipated so she is giving him prune juice. She thinks the fever was caused by the constipation. This is the first I have heard of constipation causing fever, so I thought I would ask if any of you had seen this combination before?
Country Kids 03:53 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I sent home 16 mo dcb yesterday b/c he developed a sustained fever of 100.3 (my policy is anything over 100 is excludable from daycare for 24 hrs regardless of the cause). I told dcm I had not noticed any other symptoms, but I had noticed he was straining to have a BM and then crying after.

I texted dcm today to see how he was doing, and she said the fever had not returned after last night; but he was very tired and constipated so she is giving him prune juice. She thinks the fever was caused by the constipation. This is the first I have heard of constipation causing fever, so I thought I would ask if any of you had seen this combination before?
He may have really not have a fever but getting warm from straining so much? I had one today that was very red, breaking out in a rash, and very warm today. Once he settled down everything was fine.

Could he be constipated from a bug that was causing the fever? Being constipated can be toxic so maybe it is the way his body is reacting to it.
sharlan 03:56 PM 04-05-2012
I had one years ago that would run low-grade fevers when she was constipated.
MarinaVanessa 03:58 PM 04-05-2012
Sorry, I don't agree that constipation caused the fever. More than likely whatever caused the fever is now also causing constipation. Either that or those two symptoms are being caused by different things

Just remember that a fever is a defense mechanism of the body to fight infection.
Lilbutterflie 03:59 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
He may have really not have a fever but getting warm from straining so much? I had one today that was very red, breaking out in a rash, and very warm today. Once he settled down everything was fine.

Could he be constipated from a bug that was causing the fever? Being constipated can be toxic so maybe it is the way his body is reacting to it.
Well, the fever arose after nap. After 45 min of settling down, he still had a fever of 100.3; which is when I called DCM to pick him up. He was still very warm when dcm picked him up, too. It was definitely a sustained fever.

She says the fever had not returned, but he hasn't had a BM yet. So if the constipation had been causing the fever it should still be present, right?? I did read that constipation can be toxic, which can cause a fever; but I just wondered if any of you had experienced that before. This little guy had a big BM for me on Tuesday this week, so it seems weird that it would become such a problem so quickly!
Kaddidle Care 08:25 PM 04-05-2012
My son was the King of Constipation and never had a fever due to it.

Every child is different but IMHO, fever means his body is fighting an infection or has a virus/bug.

I have had my own run a low grade when they were overtired and run down but it was never for a long period of time.
MrsB 05:42 AM 04-06-2012
I have never heard of constipation causing a fever. I would be more inclined to think that a bug is causing the fever which in turn is causing the constipation.

Sounds to me like she might be trying to pull one over on you. I dont know about anyone else, but I get "sick" (hahah no pun intended) of telling parents. "Its not the cause of the fever that I exclude for, its the fever itself"
Lilbutterflie 05:55 AM 04-06-2012
While I do occasionally have a parent that attempts to challenge my illness policy, this parent is one of the GOOD ones! She sent me a text this morning saying she is keeping him home again. She said he doesn't have a fever, but is generally very tired and fussy. Who knows what this little guy is dealing with, but whatever it is I hope he feels better soon. I tend to agree with the rest of you in that I think it's a bug that is causing the fever AND constipation, or maybe the constipation is just a coincidence. He definitely has some kind of bug though.
MrsB 06:20 AM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
While I do occasionally have a parent that attempts to challenge my illness policy, this parent is one of the GOOD ones! She sent me a text this morning saying she is keeping him home again. She said he doesn't have a fever, but is generally very tired and fussy. Who knows what this little guy is dealing with, but whatever it is I hope he feels better soon. I tend to agree with the rest of you in that I think it's a bug that is causing the fever AND constipation, or maybe the constipation is just a coincidence. He definitely has some kind of bug though.
I take back what I said then about her pulling one over on you. I just get alot of those "prepatory diagnosis" from parents when they are prepping me to bring their kid when they aren't feeling 100%.

Yay for you that this parent is taking the responsibility of caring for their sick child.

Hope the little boy is feeling better soon, and that he is able to clean himself out!
Tags:constipation, fever
Reply Up