Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom wants me to potty train 1x Week DKC ???LOL
DaisyMamma 05:11 AM 08-22-2012
This DCB comes once a week, all day.
Everyday at pickup she says, any luck with potty training?
(Seriously? That's your job. I see him once every 7 days.)
I just say no, how about you? Then I offer up some recommendations for her.
What would you say?
momma2girls 05:26 AM 08-22-2012
Do you have a policy for potty training in your contract? If not you can add it to a newsletter or a letter to this family. If you would like me to share mine, I will!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:31 AM 08-22-2012
If the mom wants me to take him potty, I would.. as much as I could. Sometimes with other kids that are pottying they decide to do it But, I am in potty training mode right now! Kids peeing their pants doesn't bother me.
Lilbutterflie 06:01 AM 08-22-2012
Who has him the other 6 days? Is it mom?

Next time she asks how the "potty training" is going, kindly let her know that one day per week is not enough to potty train him, and that she should work on it at home and let you know when he has been accident-free all week. Tell her that once he is accident-free for her, you can begin to train him in your care.

There is nothing unreasonable about that request. Potty training cannot be done by just the caregiver, even if he was full time.
DaisyMamma 06:11 AM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
If the mom wants me to take him potty, I would.. as much as I could. Sometimes with other kids that are pottying they decide to do it But, I am in potty training mode right now! Kids peeing their pants doesn't bother me.
I have no problem taking him into the bathroom. He sits and does nothing. He wears pullup so I don't really care, I just find it funny that she asks me that!
Yes, he is with mom 6 days. She doesn't work. I've told her that she needs to stay home for 4 days straight and tell him he is going to use the potty now, and tqke his pullup away. Then put him on the toilet every half hour. I get the impression she does nothing to encourage him and that she is the one who isnt ready to do potty training, not him, but is embarrassed that he is three and in diapers.
momma2girls 06:55 AM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I have no problem taking him into the bathroom. He sits and does nothing. He wears pullup so I don't really care, I just find it funny that she asks me that!
Yes, he is with mom 6 days. She doesn't work. I've told her that she needs to stay home for 4 days straight and tell him he is going to use the potty now, and tqke his pullup away. Then put him on the toilet every half hour. I get the impression she does nothing to encourage him and that she is the one who isnt ready to do potty training, not him, but is embarrassed that he is three and in diapers.
Potty traning needs to be started at home, and child making good progress before I will start with it here. Pullups are required at all times, til child is totally potty trained, this means goes on their own, without reminders and assistance from myself, and be accident free for quite some time.
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
This DCB comes once a week, all day.
Everyday at pickup she says, any luck with potty training?
(Seriously? That's your job. I see him once every 7 days.)
I just say no, how about you? Then I offer up some recommendations for her.
What would you say?
If it were me, I would keep saying what you are saying. Hopefully she will get it sooner or later.

I would probably explain to her that potty training is HER job and I will happily assist but other than having the toilet available, there isn't much I can do on my end if the child doesn't tell me they need to go.
crazydaycarelady 07:31 AM 08-22-2012
I have a similar mom. She keeps wanting to know when we should switch dcb into underwear. Mom is home on maternity leave so I keep telling her to do it over a long weekend. Even with a new baby it's going to be easier for her than for me here with 8-9 kids, THREE of which are babies!
cheerfuldom 08:14 AM 08-22-2012
I would say "Oh I am happy to continue with a plan once you have started at home.....let me know what he is doing at home specifically once you get started"

Then every time she asks, I would repeat that I will do my best to follow the plan they have started at home so let me know when you come up with a plan.

She is looking for any easy out here.....hoping you have some babysitter magic that keeps her looking good and not having to do any hard work. Turn it back on her and follow up a question with a question and keep the ball in her court.
MaritimeMummy 08:28 AM 08-22-2012
I would say, "I would love to follow whatever method is working for you since he's only here once a week!" With emphasis on the "working for you" part. ;-)
DaisyMamma 08:33 AM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would say "Oh I am happy to continue with a plan once you have started at home.....let me know what he is doing at home specifically once you get started"

Then every time she asks, I would repeat that I will do my best to follow the plan they have started at home so let me know when you come up with a plan.

She is looking for any easy out here.....hoping you have some babysitter magic that keeps her looking good and not having to do any hard work. Turn it back on her and follow up a question with a question and keep the ball in her court.
So true! Yes, that's what I'm going to say.
Actually this morning I asked HER how it was going! LOL
JenNJ 08:41 AM 08-22-2012
I would just say that consistency is the key to PTing. Since he is with her consistently, she needs to work on it. I wouldn't be taking him unless he asked.
Reply Up