Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Microwaves
Unregistered 04:47 AM 09-23-2013
Do you need a microwave in the baby room of a center?
Lil'DinoEggs 04:51 AM 09-23-2013
maybe to sanitize pacifiers and toys? or personal use?
racemom 04:58 AM 09-23-2013
We have one in or baby room. But we also have a little kitchen area with a refrigerator and sink. We use it to heat water for breastmilk and warm baby food. It makes it easier than trying to share the main kitchen.
Unregistered 05:05 AM 09-23-2013
We are not allowed to heat baby food in them or use it to heat water for bottles...i'm just wondering if there were any other reasons. i'm thinking of taking it out of our baby room to give them more room on the counters.
Willow 06:56 AM 09-23-2013
There would be zero reason it would be a requirement.

I refuse to use ours 99% of the time because of what they've shown to do to food. And people seriously wonder why cancer is so rampant? I absolutely believe that's one (major) catalyst.

Take it out.
Willow 06:58 AM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by Lil'DinoEggs:
maybe to sanitize pacifiers and toys? or personal use?
I've not heard of using a microwave for sanitation purposes and would not advise putting any toys or pacifiers in one.

The risk of shortages and fires would be astronomical.....
Play Care 09:18 AM 09-23-2013
I have used my microwave to quickly warm water if I need to defrost breast milk ASAP - obviously I would NEVER warm a bottle or breast milk in the microwave.

If you have a small crock pot (Little Dippers) you could keep the water warm in that though. Didn't get mine until after the kids were done with bottles...

What about staff needing to warm up their lunches?
daycarediva 09:21 AM 09-23-2013
I don't even own a microwave. NOT necessary, at ALL.
My3cents 09:33 AM 09-23-2013
I guess I will be the only weirdo that likes the microwave. I cook in it often- frozen vegetables a big one. I reheat in it too.

I don't use it for bottles or toys and agree you run a high chance of starting a fire or damaging your stuff.
Cradle2crayons 09:36 AM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I guess I will be the only weirdo that likes the microwave. I cook in it often- frozen vegetables a big one. I reheat in it too.

I don't use it for bottles or toys and agree you run a high chance of starting a fire or damaging your stuff.
I use my microwave quite often.

The way I figure it if the microwaves don't kill us something else will lol
Luna 11:57 AM 09-23-2013
I use the microwave a lot too, at least once a day. I just wear my tinfoil hat and its ok.
I don't see how it could possibly be a necessity though.
Lil'DinoEggs 12:24 PM 09-23-2013
What interesting viewpoints. I could live without mine ....but I don't want to! As for sanitation purposes I have a sanitizer I put the pacifier and water in it and in minutes it's clean.
tratliff 01:23 PM 09-23-2013
I personally view microwaves as unhealthy and wouldn't want a provider heating up my son's food in one. You can't use them for heating up bottles, especially not breastmilk. Also, not good for water that you plan to use for cooking/drinking. But, I can see how it might be useful to heat the water and use that water to warm an already made bottle. Hmmmm, I've been hoping my personal microwave will give out so I can toss it and just not buy a new one.
Cradle2crayons 01:37 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by tratliff:
I personally view microwaves as unhealthy and wouldn't want a provider heating up my son's food in one. You can't use them for heating up bottles, especially not breastmilk. Also, not good for water that you plan to use for cooking/drinking. But, I can see how it might be useful to heat the water and use that water to warm an already made bottle. Hmmmm, I've been hoping my personal microwave will give out so I can toss it and just not buy a new one.
Wait... I know I live in the woods and I'm a redneck and I don't watch the news much.....

BUT... when did microwaves become dangerous to heat water for cooking and drinking....

Did I miss a memo somewhere... Not that I'd be surprised...

Shhhh nap time is almost over and I think I'm going to go warm some water and drink it... Just because....
Willow 02:08 PM 09-23-2013
There have been studies C2C where water and or soil heated in a microwave then used to grow plants drastically alters the life sustained within it compared to the control group that received to exposure.

I'm not sure if that's what tratliff is talking about but those are a couple I know of in regards to what you're asking.

I'm not usually one of those paranoid types but with cancer striking younger and seemingly healthier people everyday I do buy into the idea that it could be a reason. Especially because near everyone has a microwave, if not access to several (home, work, activity groups, family members homes, friends homes etc.)
Lavender 02:18 PM 09-23-2013
I'm a baby room teacher and we only have a crock pot. Fresh water is put in each day at opening and it is kept on low all day.
littlemissmuffet 02:29 PM 09-23-2013
At the risk of being flamed... I totally heat my dd's bubs in the microwave. As a matter of fact, we have a second microwave in our room so we don't have to run down and heat bottles in the main floor kitchen microwave in the middle of the night if she gets up.

My mom heated my formula bubs this way and my MIL heated hub's formula bubs this way. We're fine. We just shake the bottle and check it every time to make sure it doesn't have hot spots.

I KNOW I'm not the only one here either
Cradle2crayons 02:32 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
There have been studies C2C where water and or soil heated in a microwave then used to grow plants drastically alters the life sustained within it compared to the control group that received to exposure.

I'm not sure if that's what tratliff is talking about but those are a couple I know of in regards to what you're asking.

I'm not usually one of those paranoid types but with cancer striking younger and seemingly healthier people everyday I do buy into the idea that it could be a reason. Especially because near everyone has a microwave, if not access to several (home, work, activity groups, family members homes, friends homes etc.)
ahhhhhhh well being as just stepping outside of my house can dramatically alter my life.... I guess I can't worry too much about microwaves.

Don't get me wrong, I grew my own food. Including chickens. I buy beef and pork etc local and know what they eat and how they are slaughtered and packaged. I can my own veggies. I wouldn't even know the newest boxed products. I am not so sure I do it because that's how I grew up and that food just tastes better or if it's because I truly do believe our food is contaminated.

Point being though, I can't spend my life being paranoid. I used to be like that and all it got me was ulcers and emergency ulcer surgery and I just can't be that way anymore.

As my granny always says, ya gotta die somehow. and believe me, after avoiding sure death 12 years ago, things like microwaves just dont' bother me too much anymore.
littlemissmuffet 02:35 PM 09-23-2013
oops double post
Hunni Bee 04:00 PM 09-23-2013
I could definitely live without ours, and we have two. I might use it once a week.

And I always heat dds bottles either on the stove or in a container of hot water.
craftymissbeth 04:46 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
At the risk of being flamed... I totally heat my dd's bubs in the microwave. As a matter of fact, we have a second microwave in our room so we don't have to run down and heat bottles in the main floor kitchen microwave in the middle of the night if she gets up.

My mom heated my formula bubs this way and my MIL heated hub's formula bubs this way. We're fine. We just shake the bottle and check it every time to make sure it doesn't have hot spots.

You are NOT the only one
EchoMom 07:16 PM 09-23-2013
Ok, so I know I've heard it before, but please remind me...

WHY is it bad to heat a formula bottle in the microwave?
WHY is it bad to heat breastmilk in the microwave?

I know about heating plastics with food and never do that. In fact, we just threw out all of our China made plastic plates, bowls, and cups that were not marked with their safety information and purchased all new plain white Corelle dishes for the kids.
blandino 07:21 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

You aren't ! I have had parents drop off telling me how many second to microwave a bottle for. Now, I don't do it because it's against licensing regs. but there are a ton of parents who do it.
Tags:microwave
Reply Up