Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Heard A Rumor About OH Regulations....
SilverSabre25 06:32 AM 10-29-2013
Finally had a chance to meet another provider in my neighborhood yesterday. She is licensed, and mentioned regs changing "sometime", tightening up to being 1 family or 2 kids unlicensed

I've searched to no avail trying to find more information. If they are going to make a push to tighten up unlicensed care in OH I want to be getting licensed now, before the rush. So I need to know.

But I can't find anything....

Anyone know? Or anyone know how I can find out?
Scout 06:55 AM 10-29-2013
I just looked as well and found updates from June of this year and saw nothing. Now, that doesn't mean that your friend isn't correct but, I am hoping beyond hope that she is wrong! I would think that it would be a very long process to push that through as well...hopefully like 3 years until my youngest goes to kindy! Hopefully, it is just a rumor she has heard that someone else had heard and told her and not based on actual facts of someone involved in the process.
Play Care 07:03 AM 10-29-2013
Did she say how she heard? Often my licensor will make comments about proposed changes before they come out, so it very well may be I the works but not published.
EchoMom 07:05 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Finally had a chance to meet another provider in my neighborhood yesterday. She is licensed, and mentioned regs changing "sometime", tightening up to being 1 family or 2 kids unlicensed

I've searched to no avail trying to find more information. If they are going to make a push to tighten up unlicensed care in OH I want to be getting licensed now, before the rush. So I need to know.

But I can't find anything....

Anyone know? Or anyone know how I can find out?
Ugh, I hope it's only rumor! If it is the case, how will you get licensed and how is your neighbor liscensed? We've had such problems in Franklin county with zoning not allowing it.
SilverSabre25 07:07 AM 10-29-2013
No, we didn't get to talk more about it. My dumb husband let my two year old cross the street to come talk to me and I had to go. I hope to get to chatting more with her about it though.

I agree it would be a long process...and I hope it never comes to pass. I really don't WANT to be licensed. Seems like a lot of dumb bother.
snbauser 07:16 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Did she say how she heard? Often my licensor will make comments about proposed changes before they come out, so it very well may be I the works but not published.
This happens with me all of the time. My licenser will mention a change that is in the works but hasn't been published.
SilverSabre25 07:18 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Ugh, I hope it's only rumor! If it is the case, how will you get licensed and how is your neighbor liscensed? We've had such problems in Franklin county with zoning not allowing it.
I don't know. She's Type B, just a licensed Type B. I called once and through person after person got to someone who knew how to get Type B licensed and I was sent all the regs and applications and stuff. I'm trying to get that again because if there's any truth to this, I need to either change careers, or get licensed. sigh.
Blackcat31 07:22 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
This happens with me all of the time. My licenser will mention a change that is in the works but hasn't been published.
Or a change that is being "considered" or brought up in legislation as a "possible" change.

I've heard from other providers that my state wants to do away with providers who don't live in their child care homes (that would be me) but I've been hearing that for years now and it still hasn't happen or even been mentioned by anyone from higher-up.

@Silver, are you registered? I would assume that if this news were true, the first people that would be notified would be those providers that are registered and not those who are already licensed....because they are already licensed so they aren't the ones needing to be notified....kwim?
SilverSabre25 07:28 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Or a change that is being "considered" or brought up in legislation as a "possible" change.

I've heard from other providers that my state wants to do away with providers who don't live in their child care homes (that would be me) but I've been hearing that for years now and it still hasn't happen or even been mentioned by anyone from higher-up.

@Silver, are you registered? I would assume that if this news were true, the first people that would be notified would be those providers that are registered and not those who are already licensed....because they are already licensed so they aren't the ones needing to be notified....kwim?
Nope! Not registered. No such thing in OH, afaik.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 10-29-2013
Ok, I "think" I have found your info.....

In 2012 Child Care Aware did an assessment of ALL child care in the country. These assessments ranked states according to training requirements, licensing requirements, basic health and safety care and required background checks.

This was in preparation for QRIS to be a nationwide program in all states.

Each state was rated on certain criteria and then ranked. Included in these individual state "reports" were RECOMMENDATIONS to the state to improve their scores. In your states assessment, since your state scored a zero, it says:

■■ Require every family child care home caring for one unrelated child or more for pay to be licensed.
■■ Require everyone present in a family child care home to undergo a comprehensive background check.
■■ Introduce inspections for family child care homes at least annually.
■■ Require family child care providers to complete comprehensive initial training and at least 24 hours annual training.
■■ Require family child care providers to address all recommended health and safety standards

http://www.naccrra.org/sites/default...hio_022712.pdf

I am assuming this is where this provider got her information. I receive TONS of e-mail and updates from Child Care Aware about this stuff and the recommendations made about our state are slowly becoming new rules... so my personal guess is that yes, you WILL eventually be required to be licensed and doing that now before the mad rush is probably a smart thing to do.

HTH
MarinaVanessa 07:57 AM 10-29-2013
If this is something that is in the process of possibly happening then I doubt that they would announce it quite yet. Unless they have a set date of when they are going to change this and start implementing it then I doubt that they would publicize it just yet.

If they are just in the planning process and this is something they WANT to do but haven't quite started the process then you probably have a while to go still before it happens.

Have you tried calling your local licensing office? If they don't have any information I would call your main office and ask them. Often times the regional offices haven't had the latest information trickle down to their level yet if it's not something that will happen soon so trying the main office to see if they have any info is probably your best bet.
SilverSabre25 07:59 AM 10-29-2013
Thanks BC! That seems likely.

It's just going to take a LOT of work I *like* being a laid-back home-style daycare. I *like* my freedom to not bleach. I *like* what I'm doing and where I'm at, mostly.

My house is safe and fine, just not up to licensing's ridiculously dumb standards. And I like things the way they are right now. It's going to take work and MONEY to get things up to licensing standards.

Edit to add: MarinaVanessa, we really don't have state licensing...I mean sort of, but OH's regs are so lax, EchoMom and I haven't even been able to figure out how to report the illegal providers that ARE illegal (more than six kids, too many babies, etc). No one we've tried cares...
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 10-29-2013
Thanks BC! That seems likely.

It's just going to take a LOT of work I *like* being a laid-back home-style daycare. I *like* my freedom to not bleach. I *like* what I'm doing and where I'm at, mostly.

My house is safe and fine, just not up to licensing's ridiculously dumb standards. And I like things the way they are right now. It's going to take work and MONEY to get things up to licensing standards.

Edit to add: MarinaVanessa, we really don't have state licensing...I mean sort of, but OH's regs are so lax, EchoMom and I haven't even been able to figure out how to report the illegal providers that ARE illegal (more than six kids, too many babies, etc). No one we've tried cares...
...and THAT is exactly the point of the study. There were far too many states that basically failed their test.

Too many states that didn't require inspections, trainings and background checks.

Unfortunately even though you like your laid-back approach, these new rules ARE the future of family child care.

I said it before and I will say it again, family child care, as we all know it now, will NOT exist in the next 10 years. NOT like it does now.

More rules
More regulations
More requirements
More laws
More
More
More
More

......except pay. They want to raise ALL regs/rules and require more work from providers but no one ever mentions more pay.

*sigh* sorry, I could rant about this stuff all day.
SilverSabre25 08:16 AM 10-29-2013
Yeah I know it's the reason. I think OH is actually a bit TOO lax...and that it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I just wish there were a happy medium between reasonable and ridiculous.

(the one good thing about OH is that the subsidy does actually pay well for certain ages!)
Scout 09:27 AM 10-29-2013
...and THAT is exactly the point of the study. There were far too many states that basically failed their test.

Too many states that didn't require inspections, trainings and background checks.

Unfortunately even though you like your laid-back approach, these new rules ARE the future of family child care.

I said it before and I will say it again, family child care, as we all know it now, will NOT exist in the next 10 years. NOT like it does now.

More rules
More regulations
More requirements
More laws
More
More
More
More

......except pay. They want to raise ALL regs/rules and require more work from providers but no one ever mentions more pay.

*sigh* sorry, I could rant about this stuff all day.
I just looked at the link. Can someone tell me what a CDA is? How much schooling is involved in this? Thanks!
SilverSabre25 09:38 AM 10-29-2013
I had emailed the lady who sent me some info a year or so ago and just got a response...she said that the new rules that would require licensure are still in clearance.

Sounds like it's absolutely true.

Damn.

Anyone know how to speedily get licensed with NO money to spare? Heh.
Cradle2crayons 09:42 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
I just looked at the link. Can someone tell me what a CDA is? How much schooling is involved in this? Thanks!
I'm halfway rough my cda. I'm doing it for free with my local refer all agency's nurturing homes initiative. Thank goodness because it's not cheap from what I hear.

Cda stands for child development associate
Blackcat31 09:54 AM 10-29-2013
It's very simple/easy to get, Most state's are offering the schooling on line.

Here is the council's website for info on how to obtain your credential.

It does need to be renewed every few years.

http://www.cdacouncil.org/
Scout 11:57 AM 10-29-2013
It's very simple/easy to get, Most state's are offering the schooling on line.

Here is the council's website for info on how to obtain your credential.

It does need to be renewed every few years.

http://www.cdacouncil.org/
Thanks BC, you always help!
Scout 12:01 PM 10-29-2013
Holy cow! I would need help paying for this too if just the application fee is $425!
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 10-29-2013
Holy cow! I would need help paying for this too if just the application fee is $425!
If you go to your local CCR&R website, they offer grants to help pay for the certificate.

I applied for a T.E.A.C.H grant through them and they paid a lot of my college expenses.

My friend who does child care is getting her CDA paid for using the T.E.A.C.H. grant.

Here is the info http://teach.occrra.org/index.php and here it mentions the CDA and how to apply http://teach.occrra.org/index.php?pid=20
kendallina 02:01 PM 10-29-2013
Here's a flyer that says that Type B providers whose families receive subsidies will have to go through the Step Up to Quality by 2019. Maybe this is the change she's talking about?? I hope so, because I just don't think I would stay in this business if I had to be licensed.

flyer: http://www.4cforchildren.org/pdf/Typ...ions%20SWO.pdf

link: http://www.4cforchildren.org/fcc/changes.html
SilverSabre25 02:02 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Here's a flyer that says that Type B providers whose families receive subsidies will have to go through the Step Up to Quality by 2019. Maybe this is the change she's talking about?? I hope so, because I just don't think I would stay in this business if I had to be licensed.

flyer: http://www.4cforchildren.org/pdf/Typ...ions%20SWO.pdf

link: http://www.4cforchildren.org/fcc/changes.html
I don't think you CAN get subsidy unless you're licensed...can you?
kendallina 02:07 PM 10-29-2013
I have no idea...lol.

I just read the flyer, which made it sound like those receiving vouchers or subsidy will be required to participate in Step Up to Quality.
Blackcat31 02:22 PM 10-29-2013
Your state's site says :

"Parents who are working or in school can apply for help to pay for their child care in the county where they live by contacting the county department of Job and Family Services (CDJFS). You must choose a licensed child care center, school-age program, head start, or a home provider (relative or non relative) or in-home aide that is certified by the CDJFS in order to get help."
http://jfs.ohio.gov/cdc/Page4.stm

when speaking about the assistance program.
SilverSabre25 02:33 PM 10-29-2013
Your state's site says :

"Parents who are working or in school can apply for help to pay for their child care in the county where they live by contacting the county department of Job and Family Services (CDJFS). You must choose a licensed child care center, school-age program, head start, or a home provider (relative or non relative) or in-home aide that is certified by the CDJFS in order to get help."
http://jfs.ohio.gov/cdc/Page4.stm

when speaking about the assistance program.
huh. I assume that the first "licensed" applies to all the rest of them then, because everything I've ever gotten from the state says you must be licensed to take subsidy.
Cradle2crayons 04:40 PM 10-29-2013
In ms you don't have to be licensed to accept vouchers. You do have to be registered with the state to accept vouchers though.

Which basically meant I had to fill out a paper, get a provider number, fill out a child abuse and neglect registry check for me and my husband (for free) and in two weeks, Whalah my welcome packet was in the mail.
kendallina 05:04 PM 10-29-2013
huh. I assume that the first "licensed" applies to all the rest of them then, because everything I've ever gotten from the state says you must be licensed to take subsidy.
Yeh, there is a certification that Type B providers can go through and I guess they are allowed to receive subsidy.
Tags:licensing in ohio, ohio
Reply Up