Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No, DCD, It Was NOT Teething
SilverSabre25 09:05 AM 11-05-2013
Remember last week when I sent one home with a fever and couldn't get anyone to pick up, and dad and gma KNEW it was a fever that morning and insisted it was teething? Yeah. It was Hand Foot And Mouth. And it has spread. So. Dad and Mom are divorced and mom was out of town. This is ALL on Dad. I rarely see him, so I'm texting him a message about it.

"Hey, DCD, everyone else has caught K's "teething". Except that in everyone else it's Hand, Foot, and Mouth. K's rash all over his legs, that's all scabby now? Also Hand, Foot, and Mouth. Please remember, I must exclude for fevers over 101 no matter WHAT the cause is. This is a perfect example of a time when what you thought was the cause, was actually very contagious. In the future, please keep the boys home if they have a fever over 101."
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 11-05-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Remember last week when I sent one home with a fever and couldn't get anyone to pick up, and dad and gma KNEW it was a fever that morning and insisted it was teething? Yeah. It was Hand Foot And Mouth. And it has spread. So. Dad and Mom are divorced and mom was out of town. This is ALL on Dad. I rarely see him, so I'm texting him a message about it.

"Hey, DCD, everyone else has caught K's "teething". Except that in everyone else it's Hand, Foot, and Mouth. K's rash all over his legs, that's all scabby now? Also Hand, Foot, and Mouth. Please remember, I must exclude for fevers over 101 no matter WHAT the cause is. This is a perfect example of a time when what you thought was the cause, was actually very contagious. In the future, please keep the boys home if they have a fever over 101."
Did he reply to the text at all?
SilverSabre25 01:43 PM 11-05-2013
OH, I haven't sent it. I was trying to ask if it was okay.....but someone hit enter then my internet went down and I only just got back to this site. Ahem. Is the text okay?
TwinKristi 01:50 PM 11-05-2013
It may be a little harsh but he deserves it.
Cradle2crayons 02:32 PM 11-05-2013
OH, I haven't sent it. I was trying to ask if it was okay.....but someone hit enter then my internet went down and I only just got back to this site. Ahem. Is the text okay?
I think the text is perfect.
daycarediva 02:39 PM 11-05-2013
I would hit send, but then again if a parent did that to me I would want to "hit term"

RIDICULOUS!
providerandmomof4 02:44 PM 11-05-2013
I think it's a little snarky maybe?? I think he deserves it, don't get me wrong, but I would probably require him to get a dr release for any rash. I just had a family of two sibs out for 2 wks for hand, foot, mouth. I noticed the rash on dcb's hands and had him picked up immediately. I advised that he needed a dr note before returning. His sister caught it the following week and dcm kept them both out. Noone else caught it though. I disinfected the crap out of everything...
TheGoodLife 03:13 PM 11-05-2013
Well- deserved, but maybe make it a tad more professional?

"What was believe to be teething and a rash turned out to be Hand, Foot, and Mouth, and it has spread around the daycare. Just a reminder that I must exclude for fevers over 101 no matter what the cause is, and I will be strictly enforcing this policy for the health and safety of all people, including your son. For this reason, I must exclude based on symptoms present and not the cause. Please review the handbook for my full illness policy."

Or something along those lines.
craftymissbeth 04:03 PM 11-05-2013
I would eliminate the part where you diagnose his child

Maybe...

It has come to my attention that several other daycare children have HFM. Their symptoms are exactly like what your child's "teething" symptoms are. With this new development, I must now require that you provide a doctors note stating diagnosis and treatment plan. I am required by law (if you are) and my illness policy to exclude for the following symptoms... Blah blah include symptoms here. Your child may return to care after such and such amount of time after they are symptom free.

preschoolteacher 07:38 PM 11-05-2013
We all got Hand Foot and Mouth from a "teether," too.
SilverSabre25 07:51 AM 11-06-2013
Now my DD is showing signs of a mild case, too (mild...or early...not sure which). And she was at Girl Scouts last night. And co-op yesterday with a bunch of kids. And with her cousins.

And all this could have been avoided....THAT is what makes me angry.

I won't text DCD about it at all. The only things I want to say are snarky, and the professional ones aren't strong enough to get my point across. I give up.
daycare 07:59 AM 11-06-2013
Now my DD is showing signs of a mild case, too (mild...or early...not sure which). And she was at Girl Scouts last night. And co-op yesterday with a bunch of kids. And with her cousins.

And all this could have been avoided....THAT is what makes me angry.

I won't text DCD about it at all. The only things I want to say are snarky, and the professional ones aren't strong enough to get my point across. I give up.
ugh what a bummer this happend.

I know what you mean when you say you can't find anything nice to say. I have that issue at times too, but then after I am no longer mad usually find a way to get my message across loud and clear.

I would for sure let DCD know that this is the exact reason that you need to exclude for the SYMPTOMS. BOth you and dad could sit there and play oh it could be this or that game, but since neither one of you are doctors, you could play that game all day long. I would be telling dad this too.

I wrote something like this to my parents .....

As required by licensing, I must exclude your child from care if they are displaying symptoms of illness. These symptoms include but are not limited to fever, vomiting, excessive coughing/runny green nasal discharge, unexplained fussiness, diarrhea, extreme fatigue, unable to participate as normal or rash. As the parents and provider of your children we are not qualified to diagnose the reason that a child may be displaying these symptoms. What I must do is adhere by all licensing regulations and exclude for the symptoms that I see.
Tags:exclusions, fever, hand foot and mouth, hfm, infectious teething, teething
Reply Up