Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Insane
mrsnj 03:56 AM 01-03-2014
We are in a state of emergancy. Still snowing. Roads aren't clear. Accidents all over the place. They are stating only essential personel should be out but I have a party planner and a contractors secretary coming still! Cause......people are throwing a party and putting siding on houses in this? People are insane!
hope 04:02 AM 01-03-2014
I had a discussion at pick up last night with all my families. I asked that they make a decision so that I can prepare. If any wanted to still come I would need my walk and drive shoveled. I do not want to risk anyone falling on my property. All but one told me immediately that they would make other arrangements if they did need to work but the safety of their children was more important.
One family did not let me know what they decided about today. So I will not be answering my door if they show. I am in my pj's in my bed!!!! This family insists They have to work every time it snows but seems to be able to work from home when it is convenient for them. I don't understand how someone could put their child in a car in this weather!!!!!! You are right, they are insane!
coolconfidentme 04:05 AM 01-03-2014
I fall into the insane category too. I have a trail marathon in the morning & it's currently -7 degrees outside with 6 " of snow already on the ground..., gulp!
mrsnj 04:17 AM 01-03-2014
It's still snowing like crazy! I can't even open my back door! My husband swept some at 3 am but it's coated already. Shoveling while it's snowing is impossible! The first mom just showed. Said the roads are horrible. My husband slide into a light pole last night picking up my son from work. He owns a pick up truck and the snow had just started. I would not risk my child's life! It's crazy!
Naptime yet? 04:40 AM 01-03-2014
One of my dcd last night was very late picking up because he towed a van that was blocking traffic up a snow covered hill...and it was the same make/model as mine! I said I'll have to remember to tell my argumentative DCM that since she doesn't understand my point that I may not be able to get out in case of an emergency. With scared kids on board.

Be safe, everyone.
countrymom 04:45 AM 01-03-2014
well michigan (and I) are getting even more snow this weekend. I don't ever remember this much snow in a long time.
mrsnj 04:48 AM 01-03-2014
Crazy. My party planner just texted. Baby is still coming but needs some time with daddy.....daddy works the night sift. It took him an hr to get home. He just pulled in He will be home all day. But they are still planning on bringing the baby. Man. It must be me!
Laurel 04:52 AM 01-03-2014
I just saw this on the news! I am in Ft. Lauderdale but I am jealous cause you guys get a snow day and we never have snow days. Once a hurricane week but still....

It was kinda funny though cause I was watching ABC news today and in the background was a window that had a big travel poster that said something about going to Ft. Lauderdale! It is 59 here currently.

I used to live in Ohio with snow and also with some street flooding issues here in tropical storms so I always make sure that I consider what the weather will be like at pick up time. Just because parents can get them there doesn't mean they'll be able to pick up. The top of our street has a low spot that floods in torrential rains. One time the parents' cars couldn't get down to me so luckily my adult son was here and carried each child in knee deep water down to the corner store for pick up when parents called or I would have had them until the water receded.

Everyone stay safe!

Laurel
mrsnj 04:59 AM 01-03-2014
Holy cow! That's crazy!

I think my eyes would shoot fire if a parent were stupid enough to come in a state of emergancy and then not be able to pick up

I will take 59. I hate winter. So moving to fl in my ołd age. I can't take this.
melilley 05:04 AM 01-03-2014
Our temp is -8 right now! Brrrr!
mrsnj 05:06 AM 01-03-2014
Right?! Not looking forward to shoveling.
Unregistered 05:10 AM 01-03-2014
-17 degrees here! Sunday into Monday they are saying -35 to -50. I have never seen it that cold here!
melilley 05:11 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
-17 degrees here! Sunday into Monday they are saying -35 to -50. I have never seen it that cold here!
Ok, that is insane!
mrsnj 05:27 AM 01-03-2014
Sigh. So the child finally shows and is having a tantrum cause daddy is home. This same family said she wasn't coming yesterday. I seriously think both parents are home and they dropped for a free do nothing day
mrsnj 06:06 AM 01-03-2014
Seriously. I just got two texts from two families saying they were not coming. Well that works for me CAUSE THEY WERENT SCHEDULED TO BE HERE NOR DID THEY PAY! Now image how pissed I would be right now had it not snowed!

So. I had three kids cancel due to weather and they weren't even supposed to be here. And one show who's parents are home.
daycarediva 06:32 AM 01-03-2014
It's a state of emergency here, too. I have a full house. Two sahms, one wahm, one not working at all today and 2 are actually working.

I do NOT understand it. I just cancelled our dinner plans because I don't want to risk picking up/dropping off my babysitter in this weather.

They closed the thruway and main road in my city as well.
snbauser 06:33 AM 01-03-2014
I learned a long time ago not to allow dcp's to be the judge of whether the roads are good enough or not. If it is bad enough that it is a state of emergency, I would close. Whether parents feel like it is safe enough or not, is not their choice. I would not feel safe if there was an emergency and I had to transport. Not worth the risk.
Unregistered 06:34 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Ok, that is insane!
it is! Not looking forward to it!
Scout 06:39 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I had a discussion at pick up last night with all my families. I asked that they make a decision so that I can prepare. If any wanted to still come I would need my walk and drive shoveled. I do not want to risk anyone falling on my property. All but one told me immediately that they would make other arrangements if they did need to work but the safety of their children was more important.
One family did not let me know what they decided about today. So I will not be answering my door if they show. I am in my pj's in my bed!!!! This family insists They have to work every time it snows but seems to be able to work from home when it is convenient for them. I don't understand how someone could put their child in a car in this weather!!!!!! You are right, they are insane!
Actually, it is my understanding that if you shovel the walk and someone falls THEN you are liable whereas you wouldn't be if you never shoveled it. I don't know if it's accurate or not since I am not a lawyer and DH was my source!
Scout 06:46 AM 01-03-2014
I would never endanger the life of my child to go to work in a state of emergency. That is insane! Stay put, stay warm, stay safe!
itlw8 07:04 AM 01-03-2014
remind them to pick up early because late fees will still apply until they leave your property. AND you can not clear the drive until all children leave.
Brooksie 07:05 AM 01-03-2014
We have a good 6 inches here and I'm open. I had 2 families drop off today, one who just works in town, another who works out of county. I told her she was crazy to try to go to work and to please be careful driving. The roads are HORRIBLE right now. She just left about 20 minutes ago and I still had my FB up and saw she just posted "who can get me out, I've had an accident and am off the road and buried so I can't get out."

Talk about insane! This is the age we are in, where you post on FB before calling 911
Punkin.Butts 07:06 AM 01-03-2014
I have a winter weather advisory in my contract. If they issue a winter weather advisory or warning that states that it is from this time to this time then I'm closed during that time. that way, the parents get here before it gets bad to pick up and they don't have to get back out until it's done!

We got one Wednesday night from 2 pm to 4 am thursday, so had I been working, my kids would have to have been picked up by 145 pm and couldn't come back until after 4am thursday morning.. which means I'd open as regularly scheduled.

I live on a gravel road that ice's over very badly, and my yard is flat so even 3 inches of snow can become feet within an hour from all the blowing around it does and drifting.
Heidi 07:09 AM 01-03-2014
I don't know if they've ever declared a state of emergency here, although we've had some whopper snow storms.

If I had one child coming while everyone else had the common sense to come home, or if the government said "stay off the roads", I would just close for the day. I have one mom who works in a nursing home and travels 25 miles to work. She would have to get a neighbor to come over to watch her kids, and still go to work, pretty much no matter what. Still, I'd close. They'd have to work it out.

Just a school snow day? Their call. State of emergency? Mine. It's not just about ME driving in an emergency (medical?), but if the roads are impassible, and ambulance wouldn't be able to get here very well either.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
We are in a state of emergancy. Still snowing. Roads aren't clear. Accidents all over the place. They are stating only essential personel should be out but I have a party planner and a contractors secretary coming still! Cause......people are throwing a party and putting siding on houses in this? People are insane!
Why aren't YOU just closing?

I guess the way I see it is you are open, they ARE going to come so if you think it's dangerous or silly for them to travel, why not just make the call yourself and close.

Seems a lot less stressful.

Originally Posted by melilley:
Our temp is -8 right now! Brrrr!
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Big babies

It's been hovering around -20-35 F (without windchill) here for weeks now. Our heat-wave today is suppose to be -7.

Once it gets to be -10, it's all the same. Cold.
Great Beginnings 07:36 AM 01-03-2014
I honestly don't know what goes through some parent's minds! I have parents that are really good responsible parents, or so I thought.

We are in a state of emergency as well. Yesterday a parent drops off kids and doesn't work! Really?? SOE and you risk your children's lives to drop them off at care just so you can have some time alone??

Then today all colleges and schools are closed. A parent who is an events secretary at college drops her kid off. Really, you gonna be planning any events today??
SilverSabre25 08:02 AM 01-03-2014
In OH we have "Snow Emergency" levels. Level 1 is take caution, Level 2 is like....take more caution....or something. And level 3 is when it's "emergency personnel only, DO NOT GO OUT, you can be fined/arrested for being on the roads, etc.

My contract states that in the event of a level 3 snow emergency I will close (out of necessity) and they may not bring their kids/must pick up ASAP.

I reminded my families of this a couple weeks ago and my two grad student parents (LOVE THEM for the most part) were like, "Well we would still have to work even then."

I bit my tongue on, "no, no you'd wouldn't." EVERYTHING closes in a Level 3. But a lot of people don't seem to understand this, even people who have lived here for their whole lives. It's not really rocket science. But....I have it in my contract just in case.
KDC 08:11 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I learned a long time ago not to allow dcp's to be the judge of whether the roads are good enough or not. If it is bad enough that it is a state of emergency, I would close. Whether parents feel like it is safe enough or not, is not their choice. I would not feel safe if there was an emergency and I had to transport. Not worth the risk.
Would you still charge, or would it be a paid day off for you?
Msdunny 08:18 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Big babies

It's been hovering around -20-35 F (without windchill) here for weeks now. Our heat-wave today is suppose to be -7.

Once it gets to be -10, it's all the same. Cold.
Shoot - it is 25 here, with a high today of 33, and we are freezing!

It is always funny to me what is 'cold' is various places. We were in Africa one year during their 'winter' months and the parents had the babies all bundled up with toboggans on - and it was about 90 degrees!
Laurel 08:25 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:

Laurel
SilverSabre25 08:34 AM 01-03-2014
I'm glad I haven't finalized the 2014 handbook yet. I need to add a paragraph about considering ability to pick up (if I feel that conditions at pick up time will be too bad, I reserve the right to close early like the schools do), and about late fees still applying in the case of bad weather.
snbauser 09:30 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
Would you still charge, or would it be a paid day off for you?
I still charge. My reasoning is that we don't have snow days built into our school calendar here. So what they end up doing is using another day that school was supposed to be closed to make up the day. I follow the school schedule so that means that I would now need to be open on a day I was originally scheduled to close. So it's a trade off.
littlemissmuffet 03:21 PM 01-03-2014
-22 to -50 F is our usual winter temps... along with the average snowfall of 3-5feet. Snow days are UNHEARD of here - life goes on!

I always laugh when others complain about their weather.
Unregistered 05:16 PM 01-03-2014
To the PP from Canada, I hear you!

If MY STATE EVER held a state of emergency it'd have to be extremely severe and if they did so, that would mean that if people were caught driving, they'd be ticketed. That means, by LAW, I would have to close my business, because in opening, I'm saying it's ok to be on the road when I'm not.

This happened in my state (the ENTIRE state, actually) in 1996. We got snowed in and could not open our front door. Very RARE occurrence, but the snow was actually taller than me (I was not quite a fully grown teen and I'm only 5'2 now, lol) We lost all power, heat and no one was ALLOWED on the roads. People were ticketed. It was one of the worst blizzards our state had ever seen. And we're used to horrible storms, but nothing this insane. It's been almost 20 years now, so we're probably due for something insane again in the next few years. lol

Now, I think the difference is that we're prepared. We know how to dress and we know when it's OK to prep trucks and when it's time to whip out tire chains and bags of sand.
Laurel 05:23 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
-22 to -50 F is our usual winter temps... along with the average snowfall of 3-5feet. Snow days are UNHEARD of here - life goes on!

I always laugh when others complain about their weather.
I haven't read all of the responses yet but when I lived in Ohio I always wondered why in Kentucky they went nuts over the very little snow they got sometimes. Then my husband worked in New Hampshire/Vermont and they got sooo much and were experts at going on about business. The difference? In a place where there isn't much snow the city doesn't invest much if anything in snow removal equipment. It is cheaper to just close things down for a day I guess. It would be a waste of money. In New Hampshire, however, they get so much that good equipment makes sense and is a good investment.

It was also kinda funny (as he was up there a long time) that as soon as there is no snow on the ground they are in shorts! We were in winter coats in Ohio. It is all what you get used to I guess.

Laurel
Bookworm 07:35 PM 01-03-2014
I will be glad to take some of your snow but no less than 5". My state (SC), shuts completely down if one snowflake hits the ground. My center follows the school incliment weather policy so once we find out schools are closing, we immediately call the parents to pick up. We then tell them we are closed the next day. Not one parent complains because 99% won't go to work because of the weather. I'm sorry some of you have to deal with this. I guess common sense went the way of the Dodo.
Childminder 08:13 PM 01-03-2014
I have the children of a guy that plows snow and the child of an ER nurse. I'm open. The other two children have a ditzy 22 year old mother that would probably run around all day with the kids in the car so they are better off here.
thetoddlerwhisper 09:56 AM 01-04-2014
our low is 14 for this weekend. im done complaining about our cold! you ladies stay warm.....
Crazy8 10:05 AM 01-04-2014
we are in the same conditions here yet I had 3 kids here…. 1 parent is a SAHP and the other 2 had parents who were going to "work from home" but apparently that means hanging out on FB all day posting about how bad the weather is and how you had to shovel your driveway, etc.
Reply Up