Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Monday Through Thursday

can someone point me to some post about providers who do only Monday-Thursday care?
Old 07-26-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean View Post
can someone point me to some post about providers who do only Monday-Thursday care?
This popped up when I searched... I posted some links in the thread below. I think the thread link below was yours...

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...k+partial+week
Old 07-26-2018, 02:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

I used to until my husband lost his job and then I had to go back to a 5 day a week schedule. I LOVED it! It made such a huge difference.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

I used to do Mon to Thurs care, it was great!! Happy to answer any questions you have!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This popped up when I searched... I posted some links in the thread below. I think the thread link below was yours...

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...k+partial+week
Thank you Blackcat31!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy_mom View Post
I used to do Mon to Thurs care, it was great!! Happy to answer any questions you have!
I actually do have a question. This would be ideal for my family at this season. Im relicensing my home because we moved so no clients yet and i have a newborn and a 2 year old so fridays off would be great!

my question is should I start off only doing 4 days care and risking maybe not getting any clients? (my husband and mother seem to have strong opinions about how nobody will go for the 4 day care)
OR
should I offer 5 day at a higher rate and then the four day and see if i get enough to change in a while to only four days?
Old 07-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Daycare.com Member

Personally, I would just start off doing M-Th if you really want Fridays off. I used to work M-Th when my kids were young. I loved having one day a week when I could schedule appointments without impacting my day care families. I could attend school functions/IEP meetings, clean the house, do the laundry and then enjoy my weekends. I never had a problem filling my slots. About 5 years ago, 3 of my families needed Fridays. I loved the kids and the parents so I agreed to give up my Fridays off. I don't have any regrets doing it but as of this September, with a couple of kids heading off to kindergarten, I have the chance to go back to a M-Th schedule and I'm taking it! I haven't had any trouble filling anticipated openings with kids who need hours within the M-Th time frame. A lot probably depends on where you live but I've been lucky and have never had a problem filling spots even without Fridays as an option. I'd give it a try. Worst case, if you find you can't fill your spots, just add Fridays back in to the mix.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Daycare.com Member

Has anyone done a Tuesday-Friday schedule successfully? I am down to one kiddo on Mondays starting next month but I may phase it out completely after the holidays. The other two families I have come T-Th so I would only impact one family if I change my schedule. In my area a lot of families want part time only but Iím finding they prefer to pick from all 5 days...of course.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

I was so lucky the 2 yrs I had every other Friday off.It was great,I would not switch to t-Friday work with Mondays off because you would loose the paid Mon Holidays.Not to mention the decadence of a 4 day weekend.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean View Post
I actually do have a question. This would be ideal for my family at this season. Im relicensing my home because we moved so no clients yet and i have a newborn and a 2 year old so fridays off would be great!

my question is should I start off only doing 4 days care and risking maybe not getting any clients? (my husband and mother seem to have strong opinions about how nobody will go for the 4 day care)
OR
should I offer 5 day at a higher rate and then the four day and see if i get enough to change in a while to only four days?
No definitely start right away as 4 days, you will HATE working that extra day. Parents always take the extra when it's available.

I had a lot of people interested in my daycare, because I offered flexible, part time schedules. Many places around me offered FT only, so I saw a niche and went with it.

I think the biggest thing is that you make it clear to families that you have no options for Friday care AT ALL and ask a lot about their back up care support system. I really only took families that were local, who had one or more parents working part time and lots of family in town. This way I never worried about my schedule or taking days off, as I knew each family had reliable back up care.

4 days is a great schedule, I hope you can make it work!

Also to a poster who asked about Tues to Fri, my friend runs her daycare on that schedule and always has a full roster!
Old 07-27-2018, 02:29 AM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

More threads on 4-day week: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=4+day+week
Old 07-27-2018, 04:43 AM
Childcare Provider

I'm pretty sure if I would to "cut down", I'd rather take a day off, than cutting down on the numbers of kiddos.
Mon-Thu would be nice!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Unregistered

One of the hooks that I used when I was Monday - Thursday.....Does Grandma need a break? There are a lot of grandparents who want to care for their grandkids but 5 days per week is too much. For example: grandma does Mon/Wed/Fri. I'd do Tues/Thurs. The beauty of this set up is there is built in back up.

Good luck making the change!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Daycare.com Member

Yeah, I'm going to close for Fridays starting in the fall. Because I only have two on Fridays and both can be rearranged. What led to it, wasn't really my intention but I always offered part time meaning 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 days. But the days are always 9-4:30. So I had several want m,t, th and one was m-f and one is Tuesday only and two are wed, fri etc etc. So anyway. My point is, if you want Fridays off, I would advertise as closed Friday, open to different days like m,w and Tues, Thurs Or m-thr. Many people just want a little care but also they pay more per a day and my drop in rate is through the roof lol and I always have one of my kids drop in one day, almost every week.

Tags
4 day week