Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
Um, is that a dead rat in the nest?!?! The brown fuzzy thing with the rodent-like mouth?
I don't know.

Could it be a beaver?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
ahhh, muskrat that's a good possibility. DH pointed out that it's a good deal bigger than a rat. Unless it's an ROUS (). I had forgotten to figure in the sheer size of the eagles.

Loved the Princess Bride. I was Chris Sarandon's (Prince Humperdink) nanny for a summer in the mid eighties!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM

She's feeding them now the ROUS.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:13 AM

I didn't get a chance to watch much yesterday, but this morning I see that eaglet #3 was born sometime yesterday.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Did anyone catch the drama b/w Mom and Dad eagle yesterday? I tuned in about 2:30 in the afternoon CT yesterday and Dad was sitting on the nest. He seemed very agitated and looking all around with his feathers ruffled up. He started calling all around (by turning his neck in all directions). After a couple minutes, he would stop; wait a couple minutes and start calling again. I tuned in to the facebook page and everyone was worried b/c Mom eagle had left the nest early in the morning and had not returned. That's why Dad eagle was so agitated. Everyone was worried something may have happened to Mom eagle, and poor Dad eagle b/c he's already lost the mate with whom he'd built the nest with in 2007.

Anyway, after a few rounds of calling, you could see that Dad eagle saw something and he ruffled his feathers and let out some screeches. Then he flew away from the nest!! Leaving the two babies and the egg unprotected. You hear off in the distance some eagle screeches, and then about two minutes later, Mom eagle returns to the nest. LMAO! He was PISSED at her for being gone so long! He flew up to her, chewed her out, and she promptly returned to the babies as he flew off! How funny it was. And how closely it resembles some of our own spousal situations!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM

hee hee hee...the babies keep peeking out from under mama (or papa...can't tell).

Brings the term "Babysitting" to a whole new level...
Old 04-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I missed the baby eagle on the edge thank goodness my heart would be racing! But they have the whole scene recorded on youtube including the male accidentally flipping him out and the females resuce.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Daycare.com Member

This is a little scary...

Hatching can take half a day to two days. Newly hatched chicks measure 4 to 5”, with soft, grayish-white bodies, wobbly legs, and partially closed eyes. When two chicks survive, the older one may kill the smaller one and the parents will not stop them. Parents feed them by shredding pieces of meat with their beaks and while moving around in the nest they wall with their talons balled into fists to avoid harming their young. Eaglets’ diets consist of fish with supplements of water fowl or birds.

Eaglets grow a pound every four or five days and can hold their heads up for feeding around two weeks. At three weeks, they are one foot high and their feet and beaks are near adult size. At six weeks, they are about the size of their parents. They are full size at about 12 weeks and learn to fly. When their wing and tail feathers are fully developed, they can leave the nest. Before first flights, which may be to the nearest branch above the nest, eaglets do vigorous exercise and flapping. They will lift off by facing into prevailing winds and flapping or may be forced to fly by parents.

About 40% survive their first flight and only about half survive their first year for various reasons including starvation and the inability to recognize poisoned food.

I guess don't get too attached

Tags
bald eagle, eagle, nest, positive, webcam