Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rotavirus
Logged out 09:28 AM 11-07-2013
I had one daycare child gone half of last week and half of this week due to Rotavirus. Mom said dck is better can we come back tomorrow (today). Child comes today and is not playing, just laying around and refused to eat. After lunch while I was cleaning up I smelled something. The child leaked all over my new sectional and onto my couch. She still has the rotavirus BMs! No response from parents yet. How in the world do I clean it up??? No one else has it...at least not yet. I put the kids down for a nap early to clean and disinfect. I'm afraid she will ruin the pnp too. Please help!
Great Beginnings 09:54 AM 11-07-2013
Ugh, how rude and gross! Do you have a steam cleaner or maybe you could rent one with a furniture attachment?

Do you have emergency conctacts other than parents? I ask for 2 emergency pick ups so if I can't get ahold of parents I would start calling the backups, grandparents etc.
Unregistered 10:15 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:
Ugh, how rude and gross! Do you have a steam cleaner or maybe you could rent one with a furniture attachment?

Do you have emergency conctacts other than parents? I ask for 2 emergency pick ups so if I can't get ahold of parents I would start calling the backups, grandparents etc.
Completely gross! I usually have a very tough stomach and bodily fluids don't bother me. But this is killing me! It is 40 degrees outside and I opened up the house to air it out. I have a carpet cleaner but I don't have any good cleaners for it right now (ran out again!) I only have allergen formula! I did cleaned it up as good as I can for now. When I do go to the store tonight what carpet cleaner do you suggest?
Annalee 10:18 AM 11-07-2013
I had this once in my family daycare as well. It is a highly contagious disease. The parent I had avoided my messages as well and became angry when I called another family member to get in contact with the mother. Then on the weekend, the parents called apologizing because the child was now in the hospital with rotavirus. I would be firm with her about you not wanting this in your child care! Good luck!
MsLaura529 10:27 AM 11-07-2013
Oh no Rotavirus is nasty, and like PP said, highly contagious. It can lead to serious dehydration. I would keep calling and calling until you get a response.
Great Beginnings 11:24 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
When I do go to the store tonight what carpet cleaner do you suggest?
I always buy the one for pet stains because it has extra power to fight smells lol! I figure if it covers up animal feces it should definately work for childen
Willow 11:41 AM 11-07-2013
Completely gross! I usually have a very tough stomach and bodily fluids don't bother me. But this is killing me! It is 40 degrees outside and I opened up the house to air it out. I have a carpet cleaner but I don't have any good cleaners for it right now (ran out again!) I only have allergen formula! I did cleaned it up as good as I can for now. When I do go to the store tonight what carpet cleaner do you suggest?
Get something with enzymes in it. They're a must have for any bodily fluid clean up and will ensure there is no residual stink left behind.

Should say right on the front of the bottle if it has them in it.
Unregistered 12:10 PM 11-07-2013
Thank you!! I have heard some pretty nasty stories about Rotavirus and I have been lucky up until now with not coming across it! I have called mom, dad and all 3 emergency contacts with no responses. So frustrating! Nap is over and I really don't want it to get everywhere again!
Great Beginnings 12:25 PM 11-07-2013
I have called mom, dad and all 3 emergency contacts with no responses. So frustrating! Nap is over and I really don't want it to get everywhere again!
Wow, unbelievable! I would be threatening termination at this point!
kitykids3 04:09 PM 11-07-2013
I would be thinking about termination too. That was extremely rude of mom and I can't help but think the parents aren't answering because they know their child is still sick, but perhaps dropped off with you because they have to work. Doesn't matter, kiddo should have still stayed home.
Unregistered 05:34 PM 11-07-2013
It's been a long day! Went to the store to get cleaner and I was able to clean everything up! It was a very nasty job! Mom didn't show up until 3.5 hours after I contacted everyone! I told her it was completely unacceptable and I am going to terminate care effective immediately. She started to freak out and say how much they love it here and don't want to leave, give me one more chance. She was apparently in training and meetings all day and didn't get my text /call until she got off. She gave me $50 for cleaning supplies and for my hassle. I told her to keep the child home tomorrow or how ever long it takes for her to get better. I caved and gave them another chance. It was the first time I have had an issue with the family. It just happened to be a really big issue! I told her it's the last chance.

Backbone= Fail!
sahm1225 06:33 PM 11-10-2013
I don't think that was a backbone fail.

I would suggest updating her emergency contacts though.
coolconfidentme 05:12 AM 11-11-2013
The only time I ever closed my daycare (3 days) was for Rota-virus. A parent brought her diagnosed child & didn't tell me until I called her to pick up her children. By that time it was too late, other got it. I had to clean & disinfected everything here. All the infected children had to return with a doctor's note.

ps..., that family is no longer here.
Angelmichelle 05:29 AM 11-11-2013
It was most definitely not a backbone fail. It was a demonstration of tolerance and a show of how important communication is in our line of business. Get updated numbers for her emergency contacts and get it in writing that this is her final warning. In the notice outline the reason for the final notice and put a copy in her file and give one to her. I have a feeling you're going to need that documentation in the future as cold/flu/childhood illness season is upon us...
momofboys 06:04 AM 11-11-2013
It's been a long day! Went to the store to get cleaner and I was able to clean everything up! It was a very nasty job! Mom didn't show up until 3.5 hours after I contacted everyone! I told her it was completely unacceptable and I am going to terminate care effective immediately. She started to freak out and say how much they love it here and don't want to leave, give me one more chance. She was apparently in training and meetings all day and didn't get my text /call until she got off. She gave me $50 for cleaning supplies and for my hassle. I told her to keep the child home tomorrow or how ever long it takes for her to get better. I caved and gave them another chance. It was the first time I have had an issue with the family. It just happened to be a really big issue! I told her it's the last chance.

Backbone= Fail!
'

Mom may have been in meetings but why did the dad not respond? If I had a parent who would not answer their cell I would call the work number directly & tell whoever answered (secretary, etc) that is is an emergency to speak with the parent. 3.5 hrs is not acceptable. I hope the parent was charged late fees for being so slow to respond. I hope no one else gets ill! Sorry about the sectional
Play Care 07:07 AM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
'

Mom may have been in meetings but why did the dad not respond? If I had a parent who would not answer their cell I would call the work number directly & tell whoever answered (secretary, etc) that is is an emergency to speak with the parent. 3.5 hrs is not acceptable. I hope the parent was charged late fees for being so slow to respond. I hope no one else gets ill! Sorry about the sectional

I hate to be cynical but I wouldn't be surprised if this parent pulls in a week or so. She may be trying to buy herself more day care time by saying all the right things...

I had what I suspect was the rotavirus a few years ago. Thankfully no one else got it. But honestly, it was the worst illness I've ever had.
Tags:rotavirus
Reply Up