Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ha! Got A New DCK Because Of My Menu!
3kidzmama 09:15 PM 07-18-2011
Interviewed a family today and mom chose to go with my daycare because of my healthy menu! Score!
meganlavonnesmommy 04:29 AM 07-19-2011
Can you share some of your menu ideas? I'm always looking for new ideas, and I need to start making my menu healthier.
I'd love if you could share.
nannyde 04:47 AM 07-19-2011
Wooooooooooooooooooooot

My kinda parent.
Meyou 04:50 AM 07-19-2011
Congrats!!! I like those parents too. Pizza and chicken nugget kids drive me bonkers.
AnneCordelia 05:01 AM 07-19-2011
Nice!!

I think there are two kinds of 'healthy food' parents. The kind that eat well and want their children to continue to eat well. These parents care about having a well-rounded life in general and will put out the effort for their kids. There is the other kind who don't eat healthy at home and therefore want the daycare to put out the effort to provide healthy food. Which do you think this family is? I hope the former! Sounds like it!
SilverSabre25 06:52 AM 07-19-2011
I have a healthy menu but I wish that it *sounded* healthier. Unless I specify, you don't know that our nuggets (which are still a treat 'cause they take a lot of work) are pieces of chicken breast breaded and baked, and our pizza is a slice of bread with spaghetti sauce and cheese on it (sometimes some ham and pineapple) baked in the oven.

of course, lately I've interviewed a string of parents that care more that their child eats, period, and haven't liked the healthy things I serve because their child didn't want to eat them. No problem, guys, I didn't want you as a client anyway...
Unregistered 09:45 AM 07-19-2011
Yes please share your menu, I would love to get some ideas!
MG&Lsmom 10:39 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have a healthy menu but I wish that it *sounded* healthier. Unless I specify, you don't know that our nuggets (which are still a treat 'cause they take a lot of work) are pieces of chicken breast breaded and baked, and our pizza is a slice of bread with spaghetti sauce and cheese on it (sometimes some ham and pineapple) baked in the oven.

of course, lately I've interviewed a string of parents that care more that their child eats, period, and haven't liked the healthy things I serve because their child didn't want to eat them. No problem, guys, I didn't want you as a client anyway...
This is exactly what mine is like. I just emailed my July menu to a prospective parent (cross your fingers they enroll after our 'playdate' on Thurs ) And I felt the need to explain that I serve organic whole grain baked nuggets, cheaper and better than I can make myself. Pizza, fries & mac n cheese is homemade as well. It *looks* unhealthy, but it's not.
3kidzmama 11:30 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
Can you share some of your menu ideas? I'm always looking for new ideas, and I need to start making my menu healthier.
I'd love if you could share.
Sure! It's really not fancy, very simple foods really. Very similar to what many on this board serve, but very different from what most providers in my area serve.
Today was baked chicken, sweet peas, fresh peaches, whole grain bread and milk. Yesterday was garlic rotini pasta with homemade cheesy tomato and meat sauce, corn, apple slices and milk. Tomorrow will be bagel cheese pizza (whole grain bagels with homemade tomato sauce topped with shredded cheese and veggies), bananas and milk.
Like I said, not fancy at all, but much better than the typical hotdog and frozen pizza served at most daycares in my area.
3kidzmama 11:32 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
Nice!!

I think there are two kinds of 'healthy food' parents. The kind that eat well and want their children to continue to eat well. These parents care about having a well-rounded life in general and will put out the effort for their kids. There is the other kind who don't eat healthy at home and therefore want the daycare to put out the effort to provide healthy food. Which do you think this family is? I hope the former! Sounds like it!
I really think she's the former
Tags:healthy, menu, new family
Reply Up