Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Flakey Flakers... So Sick Of Them (Just Venting)
MamaBear 09:50 AM 09-29-2011
I had a lady call me last night & wanted to schedule a tour for 6pm today. I have plans tonight so I said no & why. I told her the morning would be better for me because I had no kids coming till 10am so that would be a perfect time. She agreed & it was scheduled for 8am (per her request). I could have slept in this morning, but got up bright & early for this tour.

At 8:20am she calls and leaves a message. I was too irritated to answer her call. She leaves a message saying she JUST woke up with a stomach ache and couldnt make it. The whole time shes talking the 2.5 yr old boy in the background is having a huge tantrum (not cute). So she says she wants to reschedule to 6pm and if I could text her back. She sounded like she woke up from a hangover and sounds like crap and the kid in the background doesn't sound good to me either.

So I text her back and basically said "thanks for letting me know - 6pm does not work for me. Good luck with her daycare search"

I'm done dealing with flakes like this. I think she was trying to manipulate me to still come at 6pm like she wanted in the beginning. Big red flag to me. Soooo sick of flakes!
daycare 09:55 AM 09-29-2011
I hear ya... I have been having loads of calls for DC and they make an appointment then don't even bother to call or show up. One family that came highly recommended to me flaked 3 times. I would do a reminder call the day of for later taht night and they would say oh we cant make it..... So after the 3rd time, I said NO MORE...

In the past month I have had 5 calls for DC spots, 3 interviews set up and not one person showed up.... I am very frustrated...

I feel ya.....vent away..
cheerfuldom 10:27 AM 09-29-2011
super frustrating....I did post about a family that flaked out on me for two interviews! you all suggested giving them one more chance and I ended up taking them and things are working out fairly well. But the interviewing was definitely a peek into how these parents work things. They are very random, not schedule oriented, do not communicate well. I have been super firm on my rules and expectations and now that its been a few weeks, have them "trained" pretty well.
daycare 10:42 AM 09-29-2011
wow tahts good to hear.... I always try to give people the benefit of a second chance.
Glad that it has worked out for you..
Meeko 10:46 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
super frustrating....I did post about a family that flaked out on me for two interviews! you all suggested giving them one more chance and I ended up taking them and things are working out fairly well. But the interviewing was definitely a peek into how these parents work things. They are very random, not schedule oriented, do not communicate well. I have been super firm on my rules and expectations and now that its been a few weeks, have them "trained" pretty well.
Worst one I ever had left me bitter for years....... My parents were visiting us here in the US from the UK. I had not seen them for 5 years. A woman called BEGGING me for an interview the following night. I told her no because we were taking my parents to the airport and this was my last day with them. She begged and begged. My father said "business is important" (and at the time I needed the spot filled). He said they would leave early the next day on the shuttle to the airport. He wouldn't hear a no and so they left early afternoon on the shuttle. If I had taken them, we wouldn't have had to leave until the evening.

So I set up the appointment. SHE NEVER SHOWED UP OR EVEN CALLED. Didn't answer my calls. And I had TOLD her I was giving up a day with my parents from overseas to accomodate her.

I lost a day with my parents and it was 4 more years before I saw them again.

The same woman called about 6 months later looking for care (believe me...I remembered her name!)

Let's just say I wasn't exactly civil........
MamaBear 11:04 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Worst one I ever had left me bitter for years....... My parents were visiting us here in the US from the UK. I had not seen them for 5 years. A woman called BEGGING me for an interview the following night. I told her no because we were taking my parents to the airport and this was my last day with them. She begged and begged. My father said "business is important" (and at the time I needed the spot filled). He said they would leave early the next day on the shuttle to the airport. He wouldn't hear a no and so they left early afternoon on the shuttle. If I had taken them, we wouldn't have had to leave until the evening.

So I set up the appointment. SHE NEVER SHOWED UP OR EVEN CALLED. Didn't answer my calls. And I had TOLD her I was giving up a day with my parents from overseas to accomodate her.

I lost a day with my parents and it was 4 more years before I saw them again.

The same woman called about 6 months later looking for care (believe me...I remembered her name!)

Let's just say I wasn't exactly civil........
UGH! That would make me CRAZY! I would definitely hold a grudge on that lady foreverrrrr!

From my experience, every person that flaked on the first appt and then I gave them a second chance, still turned out to be a flake in the long run. So strike one and your out in my book. I'm not keen on second chances! lol
wdmmom 11:10 AM 09-29-2011
Stop giving out your address before the interviews and it will stop the flakers.

I don't give out my address until the day of the interview and that's after they make contact with me to confirm that we are still on to meet.

I figured that one out a long time ago. After a couple families didn't show up, I started implementing this and it's worked out great ever since!

Just give the parents a general vicinity of which you are located and have them call when they are on their way to get your physical address. If they don't want to do it that way, give it to them 1 hour before the appointment so they have time to mapquest it. I'm sure you'll have fewer no call/no shows.
momofsix 11:13 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Stop giving out your address before the interviews and it will stop the flakers.

I don't give out my address until the day of the interview and that's after they make contact with me to confirm that we are still on to meet.

I figured that one out a long time ago. After a couple families didn't show up, I started implementing this and it's worked out great ever since!

Just give the parents a general vicinity of which you are located and have them call when they are on their way to get your physical address. If they don't want to do it that way, give it to them 1 hour before the appointment so they have time to mapquest it. I'm sure you'll have fewer no call/no shows.
Great advice! Do people ever get upset about not having your address right away?
MamaBear 11:23 AM 09-29-2011
I normally NEVER give out my address till right before they are coming, but since she called last night and the tour was scheduled for 8am, I caved in and gave it to her. I told my husband that I'd bet she'll flake and she already has my address and sure enough - she does. I knew I should have told her to call this morning to get it.
wdmmom 11:27 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Great advice! Do people ever get upset about not having your address right away?
I lay it out like this:

"For the safety of the children presently enrolled, I don't disclose the physical address until the day of the interview."

(This way I don't have to worry about them stalking out my residence! They don't come driving by 6 times before the interview, count the parents coming and going, see the kids, etc.)

Most parents love think it's a wonderful idea and it promotes safety.
daycare 11:36 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

I do this. I never give address until the I know they are on their way, BUT they still flake.
Example a lady from my gym was supposed to come Monday night after work, I called monday afternoon to ask if they were still set to come and she says NO, I forgot all about it and didnt remind my husband, can we reschedule for another day. I say ok how about Friday. So Friday I call her in the afternoon to give her the friendly reminder phone call. Again, sorry, we can't make it today, I didn't know my husband was going to be working out of town. I promised we will come on Monday, which was a holiday. I said ok, well that will work out becuase I won't have any kids. Of course, I didnt expect them to come Monday after flaking twice already. I sent a text on Monday to her cell. Another friendly reminder...........This time I never heard back...........AND I never gave my address this entire time.
wdmmom 12:39 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I do this. I never give address until the I know they are on their way, BUT they still flake.
Example a lady from my gym was supposed to come Monday night after work, I called monday afternoon to ask if they were still set to come and she says NO, I forgot all about it and didnt remind my husband, can we reschedule for another day. I say ok how about Friday. So Friday I call her in the afternoon to give her the friendly reminder phone call. Again, sorry, we can't make it today, I didn't know my husband was going to be working out of town. I promised we will come on Monday, which was a holiday. I said ok, well that will work out becuase I won't have any kids. Of course, I didnt expect them to come Monday after flaking twice already. I sent a text on Monday to her cell. Another friendly reminder...........This time I never heard back...........AND I never gave my address this entire time.
Good for you!!!!

I give the family a general vicinity in which I live and I tell them to start heading this direction and when they get to (certain landmark) give me a call and I'll direct you here the rest of the way.
Christian Mother 01:35 PM 09-29-2011
Flackers got to love them...

I haven't had many but I also don't give out my address til the day of the interview and no one has really question it. I just tell them to give me a call the day we schedule and I'll give my address but I also do let them know exactly what cross streets I live in which is close to a major frwy so it helps them determine first off it my house will even work. Also, I do talk to these parents quite a while before the interview so we have established a little bit of a relationship before meeting and that has really helps cut down my flackers. I like to do a phone interview right there on the spot where I get to get a really good feel for the family and then when we schedule a time for meeting its so that we can meet families to families. That way I can go over the phb and any questions or concerns they have.
sharlan 05:11 PM 09-29-2011
I just went through that.

I had a lady call me, set up an appt. 30 mins before said appt, she sends an email - sorry, something came up.

She sent me another email resheduling for 2 weeks later. 15 mins AFTER appt time, she sends me an email - sorry, little one is sick. She sends another email asking to come during the day - sorry, but no first interviews during daycare hours.

She sends another email and reschedules for the following weekend. The day before, she sends an email, sorry, I'm just not feeling well, can we reschedule after I recuperate from having my baby.

She had baby #2 two weeks ago, but I'm really not expecting to hear from her again.
Tags:flakey, interview - no luck, vent
Reply Up