Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terminology
SilverSabre25 08:16 AM 10-19-2011
I haven't had this come up before and I'm not sure what to do.

I use the terms poop and pee for those bodily functions. I do NOT go in for the cutsey little names a lot of people use. I have one dcg who has suddenly started referring to it as "tinkling". I have also heard both her parents use the same term so I know it's coming from them.

I am not sure whether I should be reinforcing that term with her (although I loathe it), or if it's okay to keep doing what I have been--which is to say stuff along the lines of, "Yes, dcg, you did pee! yay, dcg!" and asking her if she needs to go pee, etc.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 10-19-2011
Like any other "personal" touches we have to our speech patterns, I would continue to use the language you always use and the dcg will either adapt to it or she won't.

I have the same issue with words kids/families use for their private body parts. I just keep talking like I always do and just never use the same words they do if they aren't words I already say.

I think like any other difference between home and daycare, the kids simply learn what flys at home and what the norm is for your house.
sharlan 08:29 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I use the terms poop and pee for those bodily functions. I do NOT go in for the cutsey little names a lot of people use. I have one dcg who has suddenly started referring to it as "tinkling". I have also heard both her parents use the same term so I know it's coming from them.

I am not sure whether I should be reinforcing that term with her (although I loathe it), or if it's okay to keep doing what I have been--which is to say stuff along the lines of, "Yes, dcg, you did pee! yay, dcg!" and asking her if she needs to go pee, etc.
My mil used to say "tinkling" and for some reason it was like fingernails on chalkboard.

I don't care what they use at home, I say "peepee" and "poop".
littlemissmuffet 08:30 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I tell all my parents that the words 'vagina','penis', 'bum', 'poop' and 'pee' are used in my house and I will ALWAYS correct children using any other term that comes from home. I can't control what happens at home, but I can and will control what happens in my home. It's important that children learn and use very clear terminology when it comes to their genitals (sexual assault, etc) and their toileting (to ensure proper communication between child and caregiver).
Not everything needs to be cute when it comes to kids!
sahm2three 08:38 AM 10-19-2011
This reminds me of one of my 2 yo dcb's who was potty training. I call boy parts (and girl parts) pee-pee's. I told him as he sat on the potty to hold his "pee-pee" down. He looks at me, tilts his head to the side and makes a disgusted face, and says, "It's not a pee-pee, its a WANKER!" LOL! Ick, too.
2ndFamilyDC 08:58 AM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
This reminds me of one of my 2 yo dcb's who was potty training. I call boy parts (and girl parts) pee-pee's. I told him as he sat on the potty to hold his "pee-pee" down. He looks at me, tilts his head to the side and makes a disgusted face, and says, "It's not a pee-pee, its a WANKER!" LOL! Ick, too.

Oh that is funny! Thanks for making me Laugh Out Loud.
cheerfuldom 09:17 AM 10-19-2011
I had one family call it "tinkle"....so annoying. Why does everything have to have a cutesy word to it? It's pee in this household! ha ha! (never thought I would type that out)
SilverSabre25 11:44 AM 10-19-2011
Thank you for the reassurance. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sticks to my own terms for things...and I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by "tinkle"!!!
Solandia 12:12 PM 10-19-2011
For pee we have also had peepee, teetee, twinkle, tinkle, and peeps (as in poops and peeps). MOST of the time it was the child coming up with the words adn getting stuck on a favorite...with very early potty training kids, I will go with whatever words they use (which was the twinkle & peeps...those two kids were going potty at 19&20mo).

I prefer to use the word "pee".
Tags:bodily functions, inappropriate talk, pee, poop, potty issues
Reply Up