Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Provider

Default Sunken Living Room-1 Stair-Gates At Top And Bottom?

Hello!

I am in the final process of getting my license (background checks just came back) so all I have left is my inspection. I am in California. I have a sunken living room that is my dedicated play room. I have just 1 stair. I have it gated at the top and the bottom of the stair, but it seems excessive. My neighbor who has the same house as I do has been doing daycare for 25 years and she has the exact same situation only she just gated the top of the stair. She hasn't had an inspection in 5 years. She said prior to that it was fine. What are everyone's thoughts? Should I remove the gate before I get my inspection or leave it up for the inspection then take it down if the inspector says its ok? I called the Community Care licensing office and they said they couldn't give me an answer over the phone...

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I'd go with overkill until you get confirmation...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I go with overkill until you get confirmation...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

I am in the licensing process too, and have my inspection scheduled for Monday. I have a raised entryway with one step down, and specifically asked my rep if that was a problem on the phone. They said no, it is not, and does not need to be gated. sitting on a couch or chair is a farther drop then one step, but I wanted to be sure. "1 stair" does that mean 1 step?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

My child-care space is my kitchen, sunroom, and studio. There's a small step down from the kitchen to the sunroom, and a larger step down from the kitchen to the studio. I put drawer pulls low down on the walls to serve as toddler-height "railings." The stairs are just a part of getting from one room to another. We've had no problems, either with falls or with licensing.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Personally, I think that sounds ridiculous! I would only put one gate at the top of the one stair. But, I suppose if you already have both gates you could have them up for the inspection and just discuss it when they get there. Good Luck!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have my play area in a sunken family room with 2 entrances. Each entrance has 3 steps down. I have gates at the top only. The rules probably vary from state to state though.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

My living room is sunken with no gates and just had my 2nd inspection and it wasn't even brought up. No problem at all.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Provider

Thank you everyone for your quick answers! I think I will leave it up until after inspection and then see what the licensor says. Hopefully they will say its ridiculous. Who knew this licensing process would be so stressful?

Tags
california, gates, inspection, safety, stairs