Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Won’t You...Vent
jenboo 10:34 AM 04-17-2014
SLEEP!!
I have a 17 month old DCB...i talk about him a lot on here
He is the worst sleeper and it drives me nuts!
He wakes up between 6 and 7am. sometimes as early as 5am. on the weekends he naps in the morning for about 3 hours..i think around 830am.
When he is with me....he wont sleep. I will lay him down in the mornings and he will lay there for an hour awake until i get him up. In the afternoons, he will sleep for about an hour to an hour and a half. once he wakes up, he wont go back to sleep! He will lay there for an hour until I get him up.
He is soooooooo tired! He is a monster in the evenings at home. he gets grumpy here too.
IT DRIVES ME NUTS!! I JUST WANT HIM TO SLEEP!!!

ok thats all

ps. we are making progress on the toe walking!!
preschoolteacher 10:41 AM 04-17-2014
Time to go to one nap?

Maybe parents can keep him up later so he sleeps in a bit later, but waking up at 6-7 am seems normal to me. 5 is early though!
Oss_cc 10:45 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Time to go to one nap?

Maybe parents can keep him up later so he sleeps in a bit later, but waking up at 6-7 am seems normal to me. 5 is early though!

My DS is now 18 mo, but we switched to one nap at 14 mos because he was too engrossed in what the bigger kids were doing in the morning to nap.
jenboo 11:01 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Time to go to one nap?

Originally Posted by Oss_cc:

My DS is now 18 mo, but we switched to one nap at 14 mos because he was too engrossed in what the bigger kids were doing in the morning to nap.

Here is the thing. He only takes one nap a day at home (a 3 hour morning nap).

I give him a afternoon nap here (no morning nap) and he sleeps for maybe an hour and a half on a good day.
If i do try and give him a morning nap, he usually will just lay there fighting falling asleep. On the rare occasion that he actually falls asleep, he will sleep for an hour in the morning and then two hours in the afternoon.

He is so over tired by the afternoon that he doesn't sleep well. And once he wakes up, there is no getting him back to sleep.

The later he stays up at night, the earlier he wakes up the next morning according to his family, he has always been trouble when it comes to sleeping/napping.
jenboo 11:03 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by Oss_cc:

I think he is very concerned about missing out when he is sleeping.
I thought that having him sleep in the same room as everyone would help because he can see that they are ALL sleeping...nope didn't help at all.
Oss_cc 11:08 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I think he is very concerned about missing out when he is sleeping.
I thought that having him sleep in the same room as everyone would help because he can see that they are ALL sleeping...nope didn't help at all.
This is a rough age! They're little busy bodies. How does he sleep at home? In a PNP, bed, mat? I think the best thing to do is find a routine that works for your program and stick with it. He'll get it eventually.
lizzardb85 05:17 PM 04-17-2014
My daughter is 19 mo and gets up between 5:45 and 7 am but I don't get her out of her crib until 6:30 at the earliest. She only takes a 1.5 - 2 hr afternoon nap but she goes to sleep at 7:30pm. If we try to push her bed time she gets up earlier guaranteed. I would talk to the parents about a CONSISTANT and earlyish bed time. It seems counterintuitive but more sleep leads to better sleep.

Good luck
jenboo 07:58 PM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by lizzardb85:
My daughter is 19 mo and gets up between 5:45 and 7 am but I don't get her out of her crib until 6:30 at the earliest. She only takes a 1.5 - 2 hr afternoon nap but she goes to sleep at 7:30pm. If we try to push her bed time she gets up earlier guaranteed. I would talk to the parents about a CONSISTANT and earlyish bed time. It seems counterintuitive but more sleep leads to better sleep.

Good luck
Oh he goes to bed on his crib every night at the same time. I believe he is in bed by 730 every night of not earlier.
I wouldn't care so much of he didn't need the sleep but I can tell that he obviously does. I don't think anything can really be done though. He has a great routine at home and here.... I think he is worried he will miss out if he sleeps

Unregistered 12:06 AM 04-18-2014
I say drop morning nap too.
jenboo 07:26 AM 04-18-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I say drop morning nap too.
He actually sleeps much better with a morning nap and afternoon nap. No morning nap equals a poor afternoon nap because be is way over tired.

He doesn't want to sleep here in general.
melilley 11:39 AM 04-18-2014
I have an 8 mo old like that. At home he takes two nap a day, but here I am lucky if he take one that's more than an hour. Sometimes it's only 10 minutes! You can tell that he is tired, but he won't sleep! I wouldn't mind if he doesn't sleep because I love baby play time while the others are napping, but kids need naps or we pay later!
cheerfuldom 12:56 PM 04-18-2014
I have kids that age that wake up really early too. I do morning naps no matter how old they are, if they really need it. Darkened room, white noise, tuck them and thats it....walk out till nap time is over. If you must check on them, find a way to peek in without waking or disturbing....no intervention as far as getting them up, rustling around trying to do something for them. Even the quiet time where their mind and body can relax is a help for many kids even if they dont sleep.

Also, my guess is that mom is doing something at home that you dont know about.....putting kiddo to sleep with a bottle or sippy or pacifier, rocking to sleep, holding during naps, long car drives in the evening. I had one mom put her child in a stroller and jiggle the stroller for him during naps. She brought in that stroller when I said he was having trouble sleeping and thought I would do that same thing with him....uh yeah not going to happen!
jenboo 01:19 PM 04-18-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have kids that age that wake up really early too. I do morning naps no matter how old they are, if they really need it. Darkened room, white noise, tuck them and thats it....walk out till nap time is over. If you must check on them, find a way to peek in without waking or disturbing....no intervention as far as getting them up, rustling around trying to do something for them. Even the quiet time where their mind and body can relax is a help for many kids even if they dont sleep.

Also, my guess is that mom is doing something at home that you dont know about.....putting kiddo to sleep with a bottle or sippy or pacifier, rocking to sleep, holding during naps, long car drives in the evening. I had one mom put her child in a stroller and jiggle the stroller for him during naps. She brought in that stroller when I said he was having trouble sleeping and thought I would do that same thing with him....uh yeah not going to happen!
I'll keep putting him down in the mornings even if he doesn't sleep. He will lay there for a whole hour no problem.
I honestly don't think mom is doing anything at home. I know their whole family and even grandma will talk about how he doesn't nap good for her. I honestly just think he wants to play and doesn't want to miss out. He is an only child at home and as soon as he wakes up in the morning, he will go straight to the front door and whine/cry/babble until they get here. He just loves playing with everyone!!
He isn't a problem for me at all and still laid down firing nap time. I just feel bad for him because I can tell he is super tired and for his parents because he is grumpy at night.
misslori50 01:21 PM 04-21-2014
do you have white noise were he is?
A very noisy box fan could be a huge help
jenboo 01:35 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by misslori50:
do you have white noise were he is?
A very noisy box fan could be a huge help
I sure do!
I think he is just stubborn
cheerfuldom 02:45 PM 04-21-2014
You do what YOU think is best. You are the caregiver and the adult and you cannot base a decision on what he wants to do or even what he is doing if that is not what is best for him. Also, be careful about attributing adult perspective to a child. We might think "oh he wants his friends" or "oh he just wants to see what is going on" and then feel inclined to base decisions off of that but of course, that might not be the case at all. It is pretty rare that a toddler WANTS to go lay down. He may be showing signs of sleep deprivation which the adults around him are viewing as excitement or enthusiasm just for the fact that is he is jumpy and running around and not focusing on particular activities. Just because he seemingly has energy does not mean that he needs to be up or that he even wants to be up. And also, yes we need to consider the parents input but just be careful about putting too much stock in that. He may be showing grumpiness in the evening which may be due to sleep deprivation or not....you dont really know what is going on at home, you know? He could be grumpy for a variety of reasons or maybe he is just fine at home but the parents are the ones that are tired and any small inconvenience from him is seen as grumpiness.
jenboo 10:33 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
You do what YOU think is best. You are the caregiver and the adult and you cannot base a decision on what he wants to do or even what he is doing if that is not what is best for him. Also, be careful about attributing adult perspective to a child. We might think "oh he wants his friends" or "oh he just wants to see what is going on" and then feel inclined to base decisions off of that but of course, that might not be the case at all. It is pretty rare that a toddler WANTS to go lay down. He may be showing signs of sleep deprivation which the adults around him are viewing as excitement or enthusiasm just for the fact that is he is jumpy and running around and not focusing on particular activities. Just because he seemingly has energy does not mean that he needs to be up or that he even wants to be up. And also, yes we need to consider the parents input but just be careful about putting too much stock in that. He may be showing grumpiness in the evening which may be due to sleep deprivation or not....you dont really know what is going on at home, you know? He could be grumpy for a variety of reasons or maybe he is just fine at home but the parents are the ones that are tired and any small inconvenience from him is seen as grumpiness.
I do what I think is best. I lay him down for his morning nap for an hour. He doesn't sleep. I lay him down in the afternoons and he sleeps for an hour, maybe hour and a half, then lays there until nap time is over.
This was just a vent. Honestly, there is nothing that can be done. I can't force him to sleep even though I know he is tired. I can lay him in a dark room with music and do everything I can to get him relaxed but I cannot force him to a actually sleep. I'm hoping it's just a phase that passes. It's sad to see him so tired but there is only so much I can do.
Tags:nap, not sleeping, vent
Reply Up