Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Deck...Need Ideas!!
lilcupcakes09 10:36 AM 06-02-2014
We just added on a huge deck to the back of our house, the kids have been so excited to have picnics and be able to enjoy the weather on it...well my inspector comes out today and says my railings are 11 inches too short height wise! So it's off limits! I'm like are you freaking kidding me, I was all prepared with the mounted gate and all, but nope won't work!
Any ideas on how I can come up with 11 more inches of something retractable or removable that can be taken down when they aren't here??
sahm1225 11:27 AM 06-02-2014
I always thought it was a standard height for decks!

The only thing I can think of is adding a thicker wood around the railings to make it higher but 11 inches is pretty big difference.
Is it all around your deck that they are concerned about? Or just by the stairs?
Leigh 11:34 AM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
We just added on a huge deck to the back of our house, the kids have been so excited to have picnics and be able to enjoy the weather on it...well my inspector comes out today and says my railings are 11 inches too short height wise! So it's off limits! I'm like are you freaking kidding me, I was all prepared with the mounted gate and all, but nope won't work!
Any ideas on how I can come up with 11 more inches of something retractable or removable that can be taken down when they aren't here??
Could you put a hinged, fold-down extension on it? Permanent lattice on top? A permanent glass or plexiglas type border on top? Maybe an extension that you could bolt on daily?
NeedaVaca 11:39 AM 06-02-2014
Maybe something like this? You could mount brackets to the fence and slide these into so you could still remove them?

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CLEBEKYrMAI
lilcupcakes09 11:41 AM 06-02-2014
I thought standard was standard also...but I was wrong, she informed me childcare and contractor regulations are different! We even made them taller than standard because my husband is a tall guy. After some research, it seems vinyl lattice pieces into a sliding mount will probably be most cost effective and can be taken down easily when kids are not here.
LysesKids 11:41 AM 06-02-2014
Who did the deck… professional contractors have a minimum standard when they build. I would check to see what the building codes are and if they were followed… if not the contractor could be on the hook to fix his mistake. I personally would have them add a small lattice topper with another rail, but check to see if licensing would accept that before doing it.

Lowe's just did my deck in December; I know it passed code and I have a custon gate built into rails at top of stairs
lilcupcakes09 12:11 PM 06-02-2014
Builder is totally within code, we actually went an inch taller than code for my hubby. My fault totally, should have checked with licensing before, but figured their codes would be the same considering scope of work and decks are very common.
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 06-02-2014
Our neighbors have something similar to this:

Maybe something like that would work

SilverSabre25 12:33 PM 06-02-2014
I was going to suggest something similar to what BC did.

I hope someday to have enough money to add a door and deck off my kitchen to the backyard. I wish life were like the Sims...
Blackcat31 01:37 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I was going to suggest something similar to what BC did.

I hope someday to have enough money to add a door and deck off my kitchen to the backyard. I wish life were like the Sims...

I currently have one in the bathroom without a door and one in the pool who can't get out because the pool ladder has been deleted so are you sure?!!??!!?
KiddieCahoots 01:37 PM 06-02-2014
I am having my existing deck torn down and a new one constructed at the end of this month. Where can I find child care regulations for decks?
I never even thought of this!
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I am having my existing deck torn down and a new one constructed at the end of this month. Where can I find child care regulations for decks?
I never even though of this!
My state does not have specific regulations for child care and follows the city building codes.

I would ask your licensing agency if you need to follow their rules or the city building codes..
SilverSabre25 01:41 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I currently have one in the bathroom without a door and one in the pool who can't get out because the pool ladder has been deleted so are you sure?!!??!!?
As long as I'm the one with the mouse, then absolutely!!

I really REALLY want the ctrl+Shift+C "Kaching" or "motherlode" abiliities. Those would be even better than the easier redecorating...

As I typed this the first time there was ominous splashing in the kitchen, so I can say without hesitation that the boarding school option and toddler hood seeming to last only until about 2 are bonuses as well. There's a certain 3 year old son of mine with whom I am currently not very happy....
KiddieCahoots 01:42 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My state does not have specific regulations for child care and follows the city building codes.

I would ask your licensing agency if you need to follow their rules or the city building codes..
Ok, thank you Blackcat!
Reply Up