Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Stop The Child Who Answers For EVERYONE??
lilcupcakes09 02:23 PM 06-19-2014
This boy answers EVERY question I ask, even when directed to a specific person, buts into EVERY conversation, will topple over other kids to be nosey and see what other kids are doing or looking at. I am at my wits end reminding him to mind his own business and all the kids are terribly annoyed by him.
Bookworm 02:57 PM 06-19-2014
Had a DCG5 like this. I made a spot just for her so she could find her business. Whenever she got like that, it told her to go find her business. She would get up and go and when she was done looking, she came back. She didn't like much but her thought it was hilarious enough to post it on Facebook.
Blackcat31 03:00 PM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
This boy answers EVERY question I ask, even when directed to a specific person, buts into EVERY conversation, will topple over other kids to be nosey and see what other kids are doing or looking at. I am at my wits end reminding him to mind his own business and all the kids are terribly annoyed by him.
I encourage the other kids to share their feelings about it with him.

Sometimes input from age-mates has far more impact that an adult.

I will also try to "warn" him ahead of time when in group discussions "Johnny, we are going to have a group discussion. The rule is that you may not speak or answer for another person unless you are directly asked to do so. If you forget, I will remind you one time and then if you do it again, I will ask you to leave the group so others have a chance"

If the problem is so bad that it affects the whole day, I will try to do a few lessons on interrupting, polite speaking and taking turns.
daycare 03:50 PM 06-19-2014
I have two kids like this..

We are required to raise our hand before we talk in circle time. When someone is talking out of turn I will say.

billy I really want to hear what you have to say, but right now we are listening to our friend sue talk. Please wait your turn. If they don't get it, they are redirected to go read books or color.

sometimes when it happens we ignore the kid and move on as if it did not happen. Then when the other kids use that answer and we cheer for them the kid shouting out all the time gets upset that everyone keeps taking their answers. My response then stop giving them the answers.

If you want your friend to cheer for you when you answer the questions you need to wait your turn.
AmyKidsCo 05:58 PM 06-19-2014
Why do you think he's doing this? Does he have older brothers so he feels like he's got to butt in or be forgotten? Or maybe he just has a greater need for attention than other children his age? If you can find out the "why" it may help you figure out how to meet his need in other ways.

ITA with BlackCat that having his friends tell him to let them talk and giving him guidelines ahead of time are good ideas. Maybe if he knows that he'll ALWAYS get a chance to answer, even if he says the same thing as someone else, he'll be able to wait.

Another idea would be to play games with him, so he can practice waiting for his turn and learn that his turn WILL come.
Josiegirl 03:35 AM 06-20-2014
OH MY YES!!! I have a pair of siblings just like this! They answer for everyone, stick their nose into every single thing, get all upset if they don't win every time, have their say, are right, etc., etc. They're extremely strong-willed, controlling and theatrical. Constant battle to keep the peace. And oh how the dynamics change when other take-charge kids are or aren't here.
I'll be keeping an eye on this topic. I have much to learn.
lilcupcakes09 04:28 AM 06-20-2014
He is an only child, so it isn't an issue of overpower. I think it is simpy just being nosey, he always has to be able to see everything, he stares alot also, that's why I think it is just pure nosiness. The other kids always ask him to mind his own business, I go through it all day everyday, giving specific names when asking questions and he still blurts out the answer. I must remind him of rules every single day, I think there may be more since he has a problem sitting still, scooting around, moving hands, legs, etc. I think it's all related.
rebekki78 01:48 PM 06-20-2014
I have this same issue. I have one who always answers as he is raising his hand even if I call on another child. Some great advice here, I shall try and put some of it to practice!
sariejohnston 08:00 PM 07-10-2014
I have the same Problem with one little girl in my class she is in everyone's business all the time, she answers for everyone and her voice is naturally so loud she is hard to misplace she is always talking and I can never get her to be quite even if I get down to her level and make eye contact with her... I am at a loss of what to do with her lol
daycarediva 03:45 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have two kids like this..

We are required to raise our hand before we talk in circle time. When someone is talking out of turn I will say.

billy I really want to hear what you have to say, but right now we are listening to our friend sue talk. Please wait your turn. If they don't get it, they are redirected to go read books or color.

sometimes when it happens we ignore the kid and move on as if it did not happen. Then when the other kids use that answer and we cheer for them the kid shouting out all the time gets upset that everyone keeps taking their answers. My response then stop giving them the answers.

If you want your friend to cheer for you when you answer the questions you need to wait your turn.
Yup. I have one who is similar. I also encourage the kids to speak their minds (and they aren't shy about it, either). We have a talking stick now for this very reason. It's a more physical reminder of who is speaking than raising hands alone. Raise hand, get stick, speak.

It's better now. After months of the kids reminding him and me ignoring his talking out of turn.
MissAnn 04:36 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by rebekki78:
I have this same issue. I have one who always answers as he is raising his hand even if I call on another child. Some great advice here, I shall try and put some of it to practice!
When my kids do this they have to miss their next turn.
KristineHappyMom 07:49 AM 07-11-2014
Same here! Thanks so much everyone!
nannyde 10:08 AM 07-11-2014
It's just dominance. He needs to go to the back of the stadium to watch the game. That vantage point allows him to SEE the entire stadium and all that goes on in it. That spot keeps him the furthest from the field where the real action is. That spot keeps him OUT of the plays. He can't be up in the umpires bizzzzzness if he is in the nosebleed section.

He needs to TAKE IN not put out.

He needs to RELAX and enjoy the show instead of staring in it. He is the "most valuable player" in his other life. He needs to be the adoring fan sitting in the cheap seats.
debbiedoeszip 11:08 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
He is an only child, so it isn't an issue of overpower. I think it is simpy just being nosey, he always has to be able to see everything, he stares alot also, that's why I think it is just pure nosiness. The other kids always ask him to mind his own business, I go through it all day everyday, giving specific names when asking questions and he still blurts out the answer. I must remind him of rules every single day, I think there may be more since he has a problem sitting still, scooting around, moving hands, legs, etc. I think it's all related.
It's possible that it's just a bit of an impulse control issue. I'd just gently let him know that it's someone else's turn to answer, etc.
My3cents 11:49 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's just dominance. He needs to go to the back of the stadium to watch the game. That vantage point allows him to SEE the entire stadium and all that goes on in it. That spot keeps him the furthest from the field where the real action is. That spot keeps him OUT of the plays. He can't be up in the umpires bizzzzzness if he is in the nosebleed section.

He needs to TAKE IN not put out.

He needs to RELAX and enjoy the show instead of staring in it. He is the "most valuable player" in his other life. He needs to be the adoring fan sitting in the cheap seats.
yeap!

I had one of these. Big difference with the rest of my crew now!

Can you break this down a bit more Nan..... how do you handle this child?

For me my kiddo was very smart, parents put a lot of time and effort into their precious. Not a bad thing at all, we all want these type of parents. The child soaked it in and wanted more more more. He knew the answer when the others had to think or didn't know. He became very fast at blurting it out because he knew. He wanted that praise.

I like and did the take turns with gaming, board games that required waiting for your turn. Teaching the skill of patience for others.

but when your smart and you know you know the answer you do want to share that with your buddies and when you don't have self control because your brain thinks faster then your body.....this was my kiddo
Tags:answering for others, incessant talking, non-stop talking, talking out of turn
Reply Up