Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCF Vacation/Contract Question/WWYD?
Indoorvoice 02:56 PM 11-13-2014
Ugggghh! In my contract, I give families a 2 week unpaid vacation. However, I realize I was kind of vague about vacations lasting more than 2 weeks. I specifically said, "for scheduled, planned absences over 2 weeks, the client can arrange with the provider to pay a holding fee to keep the spot. This fee will be determined by the provider and will be subject to provider approval." Now I have a family who will be taking a 1 month vacation in February. Normally I don't charge for sick days or random days off as long as notice is given so is it out of line to charge them full price for the additional 2 weeks of vacation they are taking?
Cradle2crayons 04:17 PM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
Ugggghh! In my contract, I give families a 2 week unpaid vacation. However, I realize I was kind of vague about vacations lasting more than 2 weeks. I specifically said, "for scheduled, planned absences over 2 weeks, the client can arrange with the provider to pay a holding fee to keep the spot. This fee will be determined by the provider and will be subject to provider approval." Now I have a family who will be taking a 1 month vacation in February. Normally I don't charge for sick days or random days off as long as notice is given so is it out of line to charge them full price for the additional 2 weeks of vacation they are taking?
No, above you said after two weeks, you will charge a holding fee for he spot. Which to me, says full price for the two weeks after to hold their spot.
rosieteddy 04:21 AM 11-14-2014
Definately charge your normal tuition,You should collect it ahead of time.You could tell parents one week with Dec tuition and one with jan tuition, Spin it that they will not feel yhe cost as much that way. Otherwise get the tuition before they leave. You defineatly are being more than generous.I give no free weeks and take 3 weeks paid vacation.
CraftyMom 05:12 AM 11-14-2014
Absolutely charge them! I would not give anyone a free month off and have their spot here waiting for them!
melilley 05:33 AM 11-14-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Absolutely charge them! I would not give anyone a free month off and have their spot here waiting for them!

Indoorvoice 05:54 AM 11-14-2014
Thanks for your responses. I needed validation that I wasn't being the "mean daycare lady". I started out this business trying to be nice and only charging for attendance and not the spot, but holy cow, it sure does bite me in the butt sometimes. Especially with all these sick days people have taking lately. I haven't had a full week of pay from any of the families in months now. I smell a contract change coming in the New Year! Now we will see how this family takes it when I break them the news...
CraftyMom 06:10 AM 11-14-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
Thanks for your responses. I needed validation that I wasn't being the "mean daycare lady". I started out this business trying to be nice and only charging for attendance and not the spot, but holy cow, it sure does bite me in the butt sometimes. Especially with all these sick days people have taking lately. I haven't had a full week of pay from any of the families in months now. I smell a contract change coming in the New Year! Now we will see how this family takes it when I break them the news...
Me too, I wanted to "be nice" and bent my policies in the beginning, only to be taken advantage of. "Mrs Nice Guy" didn't last too long, now I'm "Mrs Follow My Policies or Hit the Road"

Does this family assume they can take a whole month free even though your contract says otherwise?
Indoorvoice 06:54 AM 11-14-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

Does this family assume they can take a whole month free even though your contract says otherwise?
YES! They are friends of ours so they texted me to ask if they really had to pay for those 2 weeks like the contract says. I haven't responded yet. I was so offended. And yes, I learned my lesson in doing business with friends
itlw8 09:21 AM 11-14-2014
they can take the time and money for 4 weeks of vacation... I would not have given them any free time
Reply Up