Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My 2 year old's crazy behavior lately!
marcieandpie 05:17 AM 05-20-2015
I am at my wits end with my 2 year old daughter. I am starting to hate every day with her and the 2 dc babies. At drop off she screams at them as their parents are passing them over, hitting at them and me, and just being an absolute terror! I know it's a jealousy thing, but what can I do? All day long she follows the crawler around yelling at her and taking toys from her saying "NO BABY, MINE!" She has just started doing this last week and it seems to be getting much worse! I think she gets enough attention from me, and we have had a pretty good routine going the past few weeks. Any ideas of things I can try?
finsup 05:25 AM 05-20-2015
The 2yr old DCB I have here does the same thing to my 1yr old. Every time I bring him back to her with the toy, say "we don't take toys. We need to give this back. You may have a turn in 2 minutes. Would you like to set the timer with me?" It has helped some. With my 3.5 year old I let him pick a few special toys to set aside hat he doesn't have to share and can come out at the end of the day. That seems to help him wit sharing everything else. Not sure if he would have understood that at 2 but you could try it!
Indoorvoice 07:06 AM 05-20-2015
Ok this sounds kind of silly, but have you tried talking to her about it? They really do understand more than you think. My own 2yo is such a mommy's girl and was doing the same thing. I was ready to quit daycare. Finally I just told her that I understood she didn't want to share me, but I had to watch kids so I could stay home with her. I also told her I expected her to be calm with the other kids or she would have to stay in her pack and play while I was watching them. I also made sure to give her at least 30 minutes of my undivided attention after everyone went home. After just a few times of calmly explaining this to her and trying to be understanding, she figured it out. I hope you figure something out. It's so tough when your own child is being the hard kid.
spud912 07:21 AM 05-20-2015
I don't have too much advice unfortunately besides what you would do with any child. Separate if they can't play nice with the others. Also definitely set aside time with just the two of you (like during nap time or when everyone leaves). I wish you the best! This job is definitely more challenging when a family member is completely against it!
marcieandpie 07:22 AM 05-20-2015
Thanks ladies. This has been a tough change for both of us. She and I are very close, and I have tried talking to her about it. She just turned 2, and I don't think she really understands all of it yet, but hopefully this won't last much longer. I went 2 weeks without any children so it was just us, then a little over a month ago took a 6 month old, then got a 7 mo 2 weeks ago. I know this is all overwhelming to her and I'm trying to be patient, but I lose it when she starts hitting one of the babies or kicking at them and pushing them away. It must be terrifying for them! Thanks for the advice.
Reply Up