Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Give Me Some Ideas Please
rosieteddy 10:17 AM 06-22-2016
hey everyone,I just returned from a former DCB's preschool graduation.You might remember me last year.I had a heart attack and closed Daycare unexpectedly. I have been trying to figure out my life since.Everyone thinks (or at least a lot of people) That without DC they would do so many things.I finally feel betterish(medicated).I played with the idea of Nanny job or re-licence and only take a few.After this morning I think I need to move on. Ive been told.Don't get me wrong I know I am lucky to have a choice.Retireing is about finding ways to fill each day.Articles I have read say Do what interested you when you were young.....I babysat from 12 yrs old through high school then tried nursing school(no go).Got married started a family and fell back into childcare for 30 yrs.I tried reaching out to some old friends but everyone is busy.My husband still works so I keep the house (somewhat,I do expect his "warning"call before coming home)I always cleaned and made meals ect.My children have their lives and Grandsons are at school(I was so lucky to have them in DC when they were little. I am not a great gardener (I did well with children)but flowers seem to wither . Just thought I would throw this out there ,you guys have been great with DC advice and I love reading the forum still. Thanks in advance and I do try to remember to enjoy each day we are not promised tomorrow.Nan
daycarediva 10:29 AM 06-22-2016
If I retired early- I would read so often. A giant hammock, a glass of lemonade would be my happy place every afternoon.

I would go on walks/hikes. We have miles and miles of trails here (varying levels of difficulty).

I would try all of those little indy shops, thrift/consignment shops or the during the day events that seem to cater to SAHM's or retirees at the library, museums, etc.

I would turn on Bob Ross and learn to paint. I have ALWAYS wanted to do that! I love him, and he's on Netflix now!

I would take naps, baths, picnics alone, go to the lake and fish, go swimming.

A girl can dream!

Enjoy your time, you have worked hard and deserve to have a great retirement!
Unregistered 10:36 AM 06-22-2016
I would learn how to do pottery and have you ever tried mosaics? They can be as simple or complicated as you want, using a bunch of materials.
Cat Herder 11:24 AM 06-22-2016
You are a born caretaker. Caretakers need to take care. It is what we do.

You can start an amazing weekly story or craft time at your local library.

You can volunteer to tend children in the playroom at the local VA for young service members receiving physical therapy during appointments.

You can volunteer in your local hospital children's wing to lift spirits and support healing.

You can start a weekly program (books, magazines, crafts, etc.) at a local nursing home.

Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity always need people in various positions. Not all are physical labor.

Meals on wheels is historically understaffed in volunteers.

Shall I go on?
Blackcat31 11:32 AM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
hey everyone,I just returned from a former DCB's preschool graduation.You might remember me last year.I had a heart attack and closed Daycare unexpectedly. I have been trying to figure out my life since.Everyone thinks (or at least a lot of people) That without DC they would do so many things.I finally feel betterish(medicated).I played with the idea of Nanny job or re-licence and only take a few.After this morning I think I need to move on. Ive been told.Don't get me wrong I know I am lucky to have a choice.Retireing is about finding ways to fill each day.Articles I have read say Do what interested you when you were young.....I babysat from 12 yrs old through high school then tried nursing school(no go).Got married started a family and fell back into childcare for 30 yrs.I tried reaching out to some old friends but everyone is busy.My husband still works so I keep the house (somewhat,I do expect his "warning"call before coming home)I always cleaned and made meals ect.My children have their lives and Grandsons are at school(I was so lucky to have them in DC when they were little. I am not a great gardener (I did well with children)but flowers seem to wither . Just thought I would throw this out there ,you guys have been great with DC advice and I love reading the forum still. Thanks in advance and I do try to remember to enjoy each day we are not promised tomorrow.Nan
Have you thought about being a regular substitute for other area daycares?

In my area finding a sub that really knows and understands the world of daycare is near impossible and having someone I could call and schedule in advance would be AWESOME!

Glad to hear you are feeling better!
Unregistered 12:02 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Have you thought about being a regular substitute for other area daycares?

In my area finding a sub that really knows and understands the world of daycare is near impossible and having someone I could call and schedule in advance would be AWESOME!

Glad to hear you are feeling better!
There are times I have wondered about shutting down so I could do this. But I don't know if it other providers would truly pay me well. Maybe in a few years when DS is in high school and I need to be more avaliable...
AmyKidsCo 01:04 PM 06-22-2016
Being a sub for others is a great idea. I'd love to have a sub I could count on!

If I retired now I'd spend my days taking care of my home, (it'll take at least a year to clean/organize/purge all the places I've stuck stuff "for now"), read, and volunteer at my kids' and grandkids' schools.
Shawn 04:58 PM 06-22-2016
I worked in a daycare that had a grandparent program. They would hire retired people to work just a few hours a week in each room. The children would call them grandmother or grandfather. Those classroom grandparents would do anything from watching the children during outside play time to just rocking fussy babies. I really loved the grandmother assigned to my class. She told me that she does it to get out of the house. She still gets her pension but enjoys using the extra income for vacations and paying off her car.

I think being a childcare provider is a wonderful job. And only the true caregivers can last many years. But it is an occupation that can cause periods of emotional and physical stress. I'm sure you still have so much more nurturing to give. Make sure that what ever you chose, you take care of you first.
MyAngels 08:02 PM 06-22-2016
I think if I were able to retire I would volunteer. I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of years in medical facilities and the volunteers that I've met have been so wonderful. I'd like to be one, someday.

I also like the idea of the grandparents program mentioned by a PP. Getting paid to do only the fun parts of this job would be kind of nice
Josiegirl 03:21 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You are a born caretaker. Caretakers need to take care. It is what we do.

You can start an amazing weekly story or craft time at your local library.

You can volunteer to tend children in the playroom at the local VA for young service members receiving physical therapy during appointments.

You can volunteer in your local hospital children's wing to lift spirits and support healing.
I'd also explore new places every week, just start driving and see what's close that you've never seen before. Maybe take a camera and journal along.

You can start a weekly program (books, magazines, crafts, etc.) at a local nursing home.

Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity always need people in various positions. Not all are physical labor.

Meals on wheels is historically understaffed in volunteers.

Shall I go on?
Ooh, I love every single one of these ideas! Maybe add in an animal shelter. And walk. I'd get out and walk walk walk, enjoy the beauty and calm of nature, drink it all in. I think many of us become uncentered due to the chaotic days of what we do and need to find our own way back to nature. At least I do.
Josiegirl 03:25 AM 06-23-2016
Lost what I just wrote
I'd also take short drives to places I'd never been before, take a camera and journal my experiences. Look for different things to feel, see, hear, smell.
rosieteddy 06:27 AM 06-23-2016
Great ideas everyone.I thought about the approved assistant job but was nervous that the children would be leery of a stranger taking care of them. I liked the grandparent program idea.To rock and comfort the children would be nice. I guess I need to just move on and reinvent my days.It feels so lazy to not hit the ground running.When you run a daycare as we all have and are doing is busy from the minute you wake up on. I am going to use some of your suggestions and feel good that I can choose a new chapter.Thanks for all the ideas keep them coming.
Tags:retirement
Reply Up