Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crystal And Anyone Else Who Uses Wicker Baskets
snbauser 12:46 PM 04-04-2013
I saw in another thread that Crystal uses wicker baskets to store items in. May I ask where you got yours? And anyone else who uses them? I am very slowly working on going towards a more natural, subdued environment. I still have a ways to go and a lot of it will need to wait until I have a larger chunk of money to replace things like my shelves and tables. I have managed to replace my plastic dramatic play area with wooden pieces. I want to replace my plastic bins with wicker. I'm worried about how sturdy a lot of the baskets I have seen are. I only care for 2 1/2 - 4 year olds but they can be pretty rough on the stuff. So I am on the hunt for sturdy, thicker wicker storage baskets.
Starburst 12:56 PM 04-04-2013
I used to work at Michaels and they have some really cute and sturdy wicker baskets of all different sizes, shapes, and colors.

http://www.michaels.com/Baskets/prod...efault,sc.html

Most of them are a good price (compared to everything else in the store) but I would still either look into when the go on sale or when you have a 40%-50% off coupon (you can get it in the paper or in your e-mail).

And of course there is always Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...onstraint=4044
AmyKidsCo 01:01 PM 04-04-2013
I bought lightweight ones from Dollar Tree. I don't expect them to last long, but at $1 each it's not a big investment and gets me started until I can get more. I also have several resale shops in my area and found lots of nice baskets there. None of them match, but again it's a start.
Crystal 01:07 PM 04-04-2013
First....ask your daycare parents!!! I got a lot of them from parents over the years! If there is a grandma around, she'd be good to ask too!

Goodwill

Yard Sales

Michael's is great....watch their ads for sales, they frequently have them 50% off. Also, after holidays, they are marked down, some times up to 90% off....you just remove the pieces that relate to the holiday, if they have them. Take in your license and you'll get another 15% off.

Dollar store

I recently got some very nice ones at Target that were on clearance.....I always check their clearance (end of most aisles) for stuff. In addition to baskets, I have gotten some pretty cool wood containers/bowls/etc. for next to nothing.

Hope that helps
AmyLeigh 01:10 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Take in your license and you'll get another 15% off.

How did I not know this!! Uh-oh........
Crystal 01:11 PM 04-04-2013
Lol!!
Country Kids 01:12 PM 04-04-2013
I get all mine from thrift stores and yard sales. I actually try and have a stock pile for when one is no longer usuable I just grab another one. I have every shape and size possible and still working on my collection. Hubs just loves it-

I use them for letter tiles, those magnetic balls and the pieces that go with them, all my toys, popsicle sticks, wooden back massager (yes, bought some for the kids to play with), books. I have games (bingo, letter matching, things like that) in ziplock bags and they are all in a wicker basket plus I have another one that basket that stores all my card games. Found a wicker laundry basket at goodwill-great for stuffed animals/blocks.

In my outside playhouse, I have a shelves in it and all the food/dishes/utensils/pot/pans are in seperate wicker baskets on shelves.

OK, I admit it-I'm a wicker basket junkie but you have to admit, its natural=
Evansmom 01:17 PM 04-04-2013
Thrift stores! I score all kinds of awesome things there from supplies for mixed media art to baskets to wooden toys in perfect condition all for 1-3 dollars per item! So addicted to thrifting!!

Trick is to only buy what you will actually use not just things bc they are a good price. Otherwise you end up with a bunch of stuff.
Meeko 01:44 PM 04-04-2013
You ladies who love to thrift shop would be in heaven here! Deseret Industries here in Utah is incredible! Department sized stores, organized just like a department store....but all thrift. I have got so many fantastic bargains over the years.

I was in there last Saturday. One of my teenage daughters is tiger crazy. Last Christmas, I almost spent $85 on a big stuffed tiger to go in her room and then didn't. Glad I didn't! Found the exact same one in perfect condition at DI.......$4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She loves it!

I buy baskets, craft items, books, toys, ...you name it. I love coming home with a car stuffed full. And the money goes back into helping others...great system.
Evansmom 01:47 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
You ladies who love to thrift shop would be in heaven here! Deseret Industries here in Utah is incredible! Department sized stores, organized just like a department store....but all thrift. I have got so many fantastic bargains over the years.

I was in there last Saturday. One of my teenage daughters is tiger crazy. Last Christmas, I almost spent $85 on a big stuffed tiger to go in her room and then didn't. Glad I didn't! Found the exact same one in perfect condition at DI.......$4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She loves it!

I buy baskets, craft items, books, toys, ...you name it. I love coming home with a car stuffed full. And the money goes back into helping others...great system.
Ah! I love the DI!!! I lived in SLC for 10 years, we are going on a road trip to there this summer and I am so psyched!! Planning on moving my family back within the next 12-18 months!

Sorry...3 things I love. My family, Hobbits and SLC
Meeko 02:52 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Ah! I love the DI!!! I lived in SLC for 10 years, we are going on a road trip to there this summer and I am so psyched!! Planning on moving my family back within the next 12-18 months!

Sorry...3 things I love. My family, Hobbits and SLC
City Creek Center is now complete in SLC and is GORGEOUS. Google "City Creek Center". You'll love it!

This is the computerized fly-thru, but it's just like this....my girls and I love shopping there. It's beautiful. The retractable roofs are wonderful.

http://youtu.be/7K-TMiOj6C0
Evansmom 03:28 PM 04-04-2013
Oh awesome! Thanks for showing me that!

I can not wait to go back, I've really disliked being in TX. Austin is not as cool as they say. SLC has SO many more family friendly low cost and free things to do! Not to mention the outdoors stuff I love. I used to live almost right across from Liberty Park and we were there daily. I want my 5 year old to grow up like that. Like my two olders did.
AmyKidsCo 08:32 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Take in your license and you'll get another 15% off.
Does it have to be your license or is a business card enough? And is this for ALL Michaels??

Sad story (semi-related) - I was near the Dollar store tonight and wanted to pick up ONE bag of river rocks but I couldn't scrape together $1.00 + tax. I didn't want to use the debit card for $1.00 so I went home empty handed.
Meeko 06:05 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Oh awesome! Thanks for showing me that!

I can not wait to go back, I've really disliked being in TX. Austin is not as cool as they say. SLC has SO many more family friendly low cost and free things to do! Not to mention the outdoors stuff I love. I used to live almost right across from Liberty Park and we were there daily. I want my 5 year old to grow up like that. Like my two olders did.
A LOT has also been done to Hogle Zoo in recent years and by next summer, will almost double in size with the addition of the African Safari area. I'm excited!
Evansmom 06:10 AM 04-05-2013
A LOT has also been done to Hogle Zoo in recent years and by next summer, will almost double in size with the addition of the African Safari area. I'm excited!
Sorry we hijacked this thread with Utah love!

Ahh! Meeko you're making me want to just drop everything and go right now! Hogle Zoo, This is the Place State Park, Liberty Park, Red Butte Gardens and Arboretum, the super AWESOME library downtown. Now I read they used the old library to make a children's science museum! There is this little place in Big Cottonwood I love to picnic...
EAP 07:27 AM 04-05-2013
IKEA also has nice baskets and you can get the Michaels app for your phone and always have a coupon - they also take competitors coupons.
Meeko 07:44 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
IKEA also has nice baskets and you can get the Michaels app for your phone and always have a coupon - they also take competitors coupons.
We have a Michaels here, but I usually hit Hobby Lobby instead as it's bigger. But I didn't know about the discount thing, so will be trying Michaels!
UtahMomma 08:05 PM 06-11-2013
I. Love. The. DI!!!!!!!!!!!! And when I went up north a few weeks ago, I saw the construction of the African Safari. The elephants and rhinos need a new spot. They look miserable
Tags:baskets, bins, organization, storage
Reply Up