Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Online CPR/First Aid Certification
Scout 07:13 AM 08-28-2013
Has anyone heard of the American Healthcare Academy? I can take Cpr/first aid online and apparently get certified and receive a card in the mail from this. I have attempted to take this through our Red Cross twice and both times the classes have been cancelled! and I would love to go this route if it is valid.
MarinaVanessa 07:18 AM 08-28-2013
I don't know anything about that organization but I would check with your licensing office (if you are required to be licensed) to see if they will accept online re-certification. I'm in CA and in my state (and in many other states, if not most) online re-certification is not accepted because they want us to have the hands on experience with the dummies. I would call to make sure.

Have you checked to see if you have an American Heart Association near you? They also hold CPR classes. You can also call your licensing office to let them know what is going on and they may be able to either refer you to another organization that they accept or perhaps they can at minimum give you some leeway if you're getting close to having your certifications expire.
MsLaura529 07:19 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't know about that certification organization but I would check with your licensing office (if you are required to be licensed) to see if they will accept online re-certification. I'm in CA and in my state (and in many other states, if not most) online re-certification is not accepted because they want us to have the hands on experience with the dummies. I would call to make sure.
ditto for michigan
MyAngels 07:21 AM 08-28-2013
Illinois, too, as far as the hand-on requirement. I took mine through the AHA online and then did a quick skills test through my local hospital. The person came to my house to do the skills check so you can't really beat that for convenience .
Scout 07:35 AM 08-28-2013
Sorry, I should have said I am legally unlicensed so that wouldn't matter. All of my parents know that I don't have one as of now and I haven't had a hard time finding families but, I would feel better if I ever got an infant having it. Kwim? Although, I am pretty sure most parents don't know it around here either. They really should make you take a course when pregnant instead of just watching a video before leaving the hospital with your newborn!
Scout 07:37 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't know anything about that organization but I would check with your licensing office (if you are required to be licensed) to see if they will accept online re-certification. I'm in CA and in my state (and in many other states, if not most) online re-certification is not accepted because they want us to have the hands on experience with the dummies. I would call to make sure.

Have you checked to see if you have an American Heart Association near you? They also hold CPR classes. You can also call your licensing office to let them know what is going on and they may be able to either refer you to another organization that they accept or perhaps they can at minimum give you some leeway if you're getting close to having your certifications expire.
And yes-I was looking with the American Heart Association as well. Just looking into options today!
butterfly 07:37 AM 08-28-2013
I have done it, it actually was a waste of money for me since my licensing didn't accept this since I wasn't able to practice on a dummy. But if you are unlicensed, it should work fine. I had to print my card/certificate.
Scout 08:12 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I have done it, it actually was a waste of money for me since my licensing didn't accept this since I wasn't able to practice on a dummy. But if you are unlicensed, it should work fine. I had to print my card/certificate.
Did you feel like you had a good grasp on what to do even though you had no dummy there? Idk, maybe I can use a doll!
butterfly 08:31 AM 08-28-2013
Yeah, probably as good as an actual class. I still feel nervous about actually ever having to use that information. Pray I never have to.
MsLaura529 09:06 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Yeah, probably as good as an actual class. I still feel nervous about actually ever having to use that information. Pray I never have to.
Very true. I have heard that your adrenaline takes over and you just suddenly remember how to do it.
Scout 10:01 AM 08-28-2013
Thank you! I think I will give it a go. I can always go take a course if I feel I need more.
misslori50 02:38 PM 08-28-2013
Here in Utah you can do the reading online but still have to go the class and do the actual stuff
Tags:cpr certified, first aid, online classes
Reply Up