Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Dropping By to Dose Meds?
MCC 12:57 PM 11-06-2013
I am re-writting my meds policy AGAIN. I do not administer any meds. This is becoming a problem for one parent, who's dd has been sick off and on since September. She is wanting to drop by and give her meds mid-day.

My policy states that if a parents drops by during the day, they need to take their child with them.

This little girl is very sensitive, she often cries at drop off for a good 30 minutes, so I am worried if I let mom dose her mid day it is going to cause a meltdown. This med is cough med (over the counter) and advil.

Should I just add to my policies that only prescription meds can be administered mid day? Is it legal to not allow parents to give over-the-counter meds mid day?

I know this was discussed recently, but I couldn't find the thread, so I apologize for redundancy.
Cat Herder 01:07 PM 11-06-2013
It is legal. Most OTC pain/cough meds are available in 8-12 hour suspension now. Costs a couple bucks more, but kids are expensive, after-all.

My rules: (in case they help you)

If given for fever, child cannot come. Period. Dot. Med + Fever free for 24 or I send home for 48 Minimum, return w/doctors note. (just to put onus back on them, nothing scientific here)

If for ear infection/congestion/cough (etc) it can be given before/after daycare on the 6's (am/pm) Not rocket science...

You can tell then that you need a medical necessity form for any medication given during the daycare day. No matter who gives it, you are now stuck watching for and documenting reactions.
MCC 01:09 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is legal. Most OTC pain/cough meds are available in 8-12 hour suspension now. Costs a couple bucks more, but kids are expensive, after-all.

My rules: (in case they help you)

If given for fever, child cannot come. Period. Dot. Med + Fever free for 24 or I send home for 48 Minimum, return w/doctors note. (just to put onus back on them, nothing scientific here)

If for ear infection/congestion/cough (etc) it can be given before/after daycare on the 6's (am/pm) Not rocket science...
Oh yeah, fever meds for sure, I don't allow medicated fevers here.

Thank you! That is helpful.
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 11-06-2013
I thought they pulled all OTC cough meds for kids under age 6?

How old is this child?

Also, if a child is ill enough to require meds to make it through the day, they really shouldn't be in care anyways.

I do allow parents to drop by and med their child but not for illnesses and not for anything contagious.
Cat Herder 01:12 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
Oh yeah, fever meds for sure, I don't allow medicated fevers here.

Thank you! That is helpful.
I added a sentence after the fact, I am notorious about getting an idea right after hitting that submit button.
Cat Herder 01:13 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is still loratadine, etc... (allergy meds)
MCC 01:15 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

How old is this child?

Also, if a child is ill enough to require meds to make it through the day, they really shouldn't be in care anyways.

I do allow parents to drop by and med their child but not for illnesses and not for anything contagious.
You're right, they have pulled all cough meds for kids under 6. This is, I'm assuming, "little colds" which is just honey essentially, but none the less, a medication. The child is almost 3.
MCC 01:16 PM 11-06-2013
"I require written permission to administer sunscreen, diapering products, and insect repellants. I do not administer any kind of medication; please do not ask me to do so. If your child is on prescription medication that was prescribed for the current condition, and that needs to be administered more than 2 times a day. You may stop by at lunch and administer medication. If your child becomes upset after seeing you, you need to be prepared to take them home with you."

Does this seem okay? I want to hand this to DCM at 4:30 when she gets here, she was texting me ALL day about DCG, so I'm really wanting to nip this in the bud!
Cat Herder 01:21 PM 11-06-2013
Yes, but even at 3x a day (every 8 hours) they should be able to do it at home.

They know their kid is sick, they should be prepared to leave early.

Also, DCM texting that often to check on DCG signals DCM knows DCG should not be there. I send them home when it starts...
MCC 01:30 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Yes, but even at 3x a day (every 8 hours) they should be able to do it at home.

They know their kid is sick, they should be prepared to leave early.

Also, DCM texting that often to check on DCG signals DCM knows DCG should not be there. I send them home when it starts...
Yes! This is really starting to get on my nerves. This is seriously every other week that this kid is getting these "colds" her temp was also 99.9 all day, so she is obviously fighting something off. DCM just got here. I let her know that I'm not okay with her stopping by to dose mid-day. I also said that if she was so sick that she needed mid-day meds, then she shouldn't be here. AND I told her that she needed to keep the text to a minimum.

Thanks so much!
Margarete 09:20 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
Yes! This is really starting to get on my nerves. This is seriously every other week that this kid is getting these "colds" her temp was also 99.9 all day, so she is obviously fighting something off. DCM just got here. I let her know that I'm not okay with her stopping by to dose mid-day. I also said that if she was so sick that she needed mid-day meds, then she shouldn't be here. AND I told her that she needed to keep the text to a minimum.

Thanks so much!
99.9 all day, and she most likely had advil (fever reducer) in the morning. Sounds like she wants to med mid day so her temp doesn't go up to 'excluding'
Familycare71 09:25 PM 11-06-2013
Around here cold meds are given 4 and older... Never heard 6 years-
Weird
SSWonders 03:11 AM 11-07-2013
Where I am we can give otc meds. With all the runny noses around here, for colds and allergies, these kids would be home more than they are here and for long periods of time, not just a day or two. I do only have 4, so that may make a difference. I have no problem giving meds, otc or prescription, or giving nebulizer treatments. I would rather do that than have a child upset by a mid day visit by a parent.
Kaddidle Care 04:21 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Margarete:
99.9 all day, and she most likely had advil (fever reducer) in the morning. Sounds like she wants to med mid day so her temp doesn't go up to 'excluding'
Ditto!
Tags:medication - administering, medication - policy, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up