Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dreading Summer
Mom o Col 11:07 AM 06-22-2014
I am dreading the kids being on summer vacation because it means that the pre-k kid will be here all day on the days she comes and the school ager who has a toddler sibling here year round will be here every day as well. The mix of different ages is so stressful but I really need the money. Here are the things I find most difficult: The older kids seem to always be hungry and the way I see it if they were at school or in a day care center situation they would be served snack and lunch at specific times and that would be that (at least that's how it was when I worked in a center). But maybe because they are in a home (my home) they seem to think they should just be able to eat whenever. NOOOOO. I am not going to prepare food like a short order cook, serve it up and clean up after it except for at the designated time for a.m. and p.m. snack and lunch. And the other issue is the constant need for the bigger kids to be entertained. When and why did this happen? When I was a kid we came up with our own ideas, planned them out and put them into play on our own. Thirdly, the pre-k age kid will be expected to nap. Yup, I admit it, nap time is the only time I have to pee, eat, and sit down in semi quiet. I love my job but I am human. Anyone else dreading summer? And how do you handle the above situations?
midaycare 12:03 PM 06-22-2014
I have an equal mix of school agers and young ones right now. I handle it by making the older ones work Until lunch, they are kept busy, busy, busy working. I teach a curriculum, so they are expected to do their own grade level.

In the afternoons, during naptime, they are expected to do crafts and play quietly.

They are usually pretty good. They are also my helpers. If I need something they are expected to help.
BumbleBee 01:35 PM 06-22-2014
Work sheets (3 per day), mandatory 30-60 minutes of reading per day, they have 'chores' here (clear the table after meals, clean the table after meals, sweep after meals, etc).

I have 2 school agers (8.5 & 10) so it helps that they can play with each other.
midaycare 07:40 PM 06-22-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Work sheets (3 per day), mandatory 30-60 minutes of reading per day, they have 'chores' here (clear the table after meals, clean the table after meals, sweep after meals, etc).

I have 2 school agers (8.5 & 10) so it helps that they can play with each other.

It's great to have school agers do work in the summer. There are some studies out there that show kids can "lose" up to 2.5 months of school knowledge while on summer vacation.
BumbleBee 08:17 PM 06-22-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:

It's great to have school agers do work in the summer. There are some studies out there that show kids can "lose" up to 2.5 months of school knowledge while on summer vacation.
The 3 work sheets take 15-20 min a day total. I figure 45-90 min a day of 'school' is not the end of the world (although they think it is. Lol.)
midaycare 08:52 PM 06-22-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
The 3 work sheets take 15-20 min a day total. I figure 45-90 min a day of 'school' is not the end of the world (although they think it is. Lol.)
That is the truth! Although now my school agers are getting into the swing of it and expect it. I see you are from the UP - I love it up there DH has never been to Mackinac, so I'm taking him this summer. Whoo hoo!
bklsmum 03:38 AM 06-23-2014
I am soooo excited to not have to drive anyone to or from school! I love the unbroken up days of summer!
Play Care 03:42 AM 06-23-2014
I made some changes this year and will not have the overly full house. I am beyond relieved!
lilcupcakes09 04:17 AM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by Mom o Col:
I am dreading the kids being on summer vacation because it means that the pre-k kid will be here all day on the days she comes and the school ager who has a toddler sibling here year round will be here every day as well. The mix of different ages is so stressful but I really need the money. Here are the things I find most difficult: The older kids seem to always be hungry and the way I see it if they were at school or in a day care center situation they would be served snack and lunch at specific times and that would be that (at least that's how it was when I worked in a center). But maybe because they are in a home (my home) they seem to think they should just be able to eat whenever. NOOOOO. I am not going to prepare food like a short order cook, serve it up and clean up after it except for at the designated time for a.m. and p.m. snack and lunch. And the other issue is the constant need for the bigger kids to be entertained. When and why did this happen? When I was a kid we came up with our own ideas, planned them out and put them into play on our own. Thirdly, the pre-k age kid will be expected to nap. Yup, I admit it, nap time is the only time I have to pee, eat, and sit down in semi quiet. I love my job but I am human. Anyone else dreading summer? And how do you handle the above situations?
Yes right there with you!!! I dread summer!!

I have two 1 year olds, two prek's, and 4 B&A. Yes they are always hungry, I simply tell them we will eat when it is time and send them on their way. Same goes with activities, they constantly need to be reminded to go find something to do with their time. I turn on a movie everyday at nap time, they must be quiet or they go to a room by themselves, the older kids are usually ok playing quietly and most of the time get more into the movie. Luckily I have separate sleep areas for the little ones.

1 week down, only 7 more to go
Reply Up