Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Separation Anxiety?
holly333 06:37 PM 09-09-2014
I have a new little one, 10months who did great at first. He's only PT, 2-3 days a week. Very used to being held, rocked to sleep etc. I'm not pushing the sleep issue as he's just not here often enough to make it happen. Last week he started getting a cold (back to school one that went through my whole daycare). Mom texted saying he wasn't feeling good, she was keeping him home… then an hour later said no, she thinks he's fine. He was a wreck, wanted to be held all day long.. which is impossible with a 7 month old and three toddlers! Mom drops him off today and says it was just teeth, he's fine. It was worse. He cried ALL day long. I'm not sure if it's not feeling great because of teeth or cold…but he also got more upset when I was out of his sight so I'm wondering if it's partly separation anxiety. Mom said it was strange, he was happy yesterday playing by himself, Dad picked up and said no, that's how he was all day yesterday - wanted to be held and even then was still upset. I understand not being able to take days off for just a cold or teeth but because of being held/worn he is already very needy, and being PT makes it harder. I can't let it continue to take my time away from the other kids- any advice?

Thanks
cheerfuldom 05:58 AM 09-10-2014
Ask mom about how she wants these type of days handled. You cannot give a full day of one-on-one attention to a child that is out of sorts or extra needy. Would she rather you let him cry at your house or call her to pickup? That way, you get a solution and she is the one that made the choice. She probably will say she would pickup which gives you a great out. IF she wants him to stay, then you are just going to have to put him down and let him cry. Thats the nature of daycare. If you cant handle the crying, term. I wouldnt expect the baby to ever really adjust to part time care when he is having so much holding and attention at home and then group care at daycare. It is polar opposite. I wouldn't expect him to adjust till he is walking, if then.
Shell 10:03 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Ask mom about how she wants these type of days handled. You cannot give a full day of one-on-one attention to a child that is out of sorts or extra needy. Would she rather you let him cry at your house or call her to pickup? That way, you get a solution and she is the one that made the choice. She probably will say she would pickup which gives you a great out. IF she wants him to stay, then you are just going to have to put him down and let him cry. Thats the nature of daycare. If you cant handle the crying, term. I wouldnt expect the baby to ever really adjust to part time care when he is having so much holding and attention at home and then group care at daycare. It is polar opposite. I wouldn't expect him to adjust till he is walking, if then.
Yep, this is true. I have a part timer that is still rocked to sleep or put to sleep in a swing, breastfed on demand, and held constantly. It was hard work to get him out of that routine, but fortunately, on the days he isn't here, he's with grandma, and she's tough and doesn't put up with any b.s. If you are the only one working on this, it's going to be very difficult- do get some good ear plugs It will be hard, but better to start now so your little one begins to get used to your routine.
holly333 01:36 PM 09-12-2014
Thanka for the good advice!
Tags:separation anxiety
Reply Up