Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD...Straggler Child
lilcupcakes09 01:43 PM 01-16-2015
Child is at daycare everyday unless I am closed, open to close. He just doesn't fit into my program anymore. I have been fortunate enough to have all my other families value my time. They adjust their hours to have the children picked up as early as possible, and they spend days off with their children. Just not the case with this one, he literally spends all his time with me. I have days where he may be the only one here.....or he is here many hours after everyone else is picked up. I'm just to the point that waiting for him to be picked up is a nuisance. My family means everything to me and I feel this is time I could be spending with my own 2 children. I'm on the verge of letting this one go, his hours are more of a hassle than anything. WWYD
LysesKids 02:07 PM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
Child is at daycare everyday unless I am closed, open to close. He just doesn't fit into my program anymore. I have been fortunate enough to have all my other families value my time. They adjust their hours to have the children picked up as early as possible, and they spend days off with their children. Just not the case with this one, he literally spends all his time with me. I have days where he may be the only one here.....or he is here many hours after everyone else is picked up. I'm just to the point that waiting for him to be picked up is a nuisance. My family means everything to me and I feel this is time I could be spending with my own 2 children. I'm on the verge of letting this one go, his hours are more of a hassle than anything. WWYD
I do contracted hours... limit of 10; OT with advance notice only (if I approve). I may work 6:30-6:30 but I don't ever have a kid here the whole time
daycare 02:08 PM 01-16-2015
Are they going over the hours you agreed to or are you just over accommodating a schedule that is too different than the rest?
lilcupcakes09 02:28 PM 01-16-2015
Mom works 40 minutes away and only comes at close because she has to be there by then, she had asked in the past if I could keep him later, and I refused.
The schedule all my other parents have worked out have ended up totally in unison of one another and his happens to be a complete opposite now
daycare 02:34 PM 01-16-2015
I've been there and it stinks. I personally would start advertising and look for a replacement that better suits your hours. Then tell dcm that you are no longer able to accomdate those hours. Either she shifts the times or finds new care.
Indoorvoice 02:49 PM 01-16-2015
I had one like this. I told the parents that I was no longer able to stay open for just one child past 5:00 because it was costing me money and said if they wanted to stay, they could, but they would have to pick up by 5:00 or I would have to terminate. She is still here open to close, but at least the time she is here is more manageable for my family.
Controlled Chaos 02:53 PM 01-16-2015
If hours are the only problem, I would let them know you are changing your business hours and give them the option to deal with new availability or find alternate care.
Heidi 03:12 PM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
If hours are the only problem, I would let them know you are changing your business hours and give them the option to deal with new availability or find alternate care.

That's what I would do.

"Just to let you know, as of February 1, I will be closing my program at 4:45 daily. I know dcb is usually here later than that, so I'm wondering if you can change your schedule a bit?"

If yes...great

If no..."well, gosh, we sure will miss you guys!"
Josiegirl 03:32 PM 01-16-2015
Do you need this income? If not, I would give them their 2 weeks, if that's how much notice you typically give. Family trumps daycare any day, if possible and if you're in a position where you can spend time with your own kids, then do it!! They're only little for so long. Just tell them you can no longer fill their needs, nothing personal. Or you're downsizing.
daycarediva 04:12 PM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
YUP! I would send a notice to all families and then let them leave on their own if they chose not to pick up earlier.
Reply Up