Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Periodic Fever Syndrome
TigerLily 06:47 PM 08-05-2016
Anyone have any experience with periodic fever syndrome? Mom and I are thinking that may be going on with DBC. Every 4 weeks for the past 4 months he spikes a 102+ fever, but has no other symptoms. The fever lasts about a week. We are just now seeing the pattern

Last time the doctor kind of blew them off and said it was teething and allergies. The time before the urgent care dr said it was viral.
Malmom 07:43 PM 08-05-2016
I have twins that had period fever syndrome. They were diagnosed when they were 4. Unfortunately for us, it took about a year before we realized something was wrong. Every month like clockwork, one of them would get a fever and a sore throat. Then two weeks later, the other twin would get it. It was crazy.

I actually self diagnosed them, and went to my pediatrician with my theory of PFS, who had never even heard of it. She agreed to treat their fevers with prednisone instead of the antibiotics we had been doing. Without fail, within 12 hours of a dose of prednisone, the fever would be gone and their throats would be fine. It was crazy. Once our pediatrician did some research and saw how well they responded to the steroids, she agreed to give us a referral to an ENT. Thankfully, the ENT had heard of it before, and after studying their charts, he agreed they had it. They had their tonsils out (which he said needed to come out regardless of PFS since they were so large), and it completely cured them. They've never once since then had an unexplained fever.

I would definitely encourage the mom to talk to her peditrician or ENT about it. My only regret is not realizing something was up with my kids sooner.
Play Care 04:02 AM 08-08-2016
I had a day care boy that would have this happen. Lots of tests but nothing ever came of it. I wonder if this is what he had.
Ariana 03:20 PM 08-08-2016
There seems to be a "syndrome" for everything these days. Elimination diet will help pinpoint why the body is overreacting to the environment. Heavy steroids will suppress anything in the body but it is not good for a growing body to be given them AND it is only treating the symptoms not the underlying health issue. It sounds to me like the immune system is in constant attack mode and it is most likely something the child is eating or being exposed to that is causing it. Suggest that mom take the child to a naturopathic Dr. They specialize in ailments due to nutrition and will help formulate a plan to see why this is happening.
proudarmywifewith4 10:14 AM 08-09-2016
My daughter had this (PFAPPA). There is no test for it. It took us a long time to figure out and our pediatrician had never heard of it. Her only symptom that we could tell was recurring fevers. We finally went to a "disease" doctor because we couldn't figure it out. Based on the fever diary he suspected that and sent us to an ENT to have her tonsils out. They came out the day after her 2nd birthday and we haven't had a single issue since. The recovery was brutal but totally worth it.
Tags:autoimmune disease, fever, periodic fever syndrome, rare disease
Reply Up