Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning/Sickness In Your Daycare
mac60 03:10 AM 09-17-2009
Wondering what you all are doing to ward away the sickness they keep saying is coming. I was looking some information up and came across some sites I thought were interesting.

http://metropolitanmama.net/2009/02/som ... -products/

http://mommysavers.com/boards/chit-chat ... -year.html

Do you have any cheap easy things you do to help you with clean up. For me, I always have a spray bottle of water/dish soap. As many times as I wipe off the kitchen table, high chairs, and counters, it sure makes it easier. I also use it sometimes to spray off toys, the play zone, and other things that the kids/people touch. I figure if it is good enough to wash our dishes in, then it is good enough to spray and clean things off with.

I also use the Spic and Span Spray Antibacterial Spray from Dollar General for about $1, and the foaming bathroom disinfectant spray from there too. They are cheap, smell good, and easy to use. Last week over the weekend I took the toys and wiped them all down with clorox wipes, I always did it regularly, but know I need to do it more, but that is a daunting chore. I also spray the toys occassionally with Disinfectant spray, but not sure if we are really supposed to do that.

I don't like using bleach or anything with bleach, because I end up with it on me.

Does anyone know if the Clorox anytime sanitizing spray actually have bleach in it. It doesn't have bleach listed, as bleach anyways, but I don't know if the other ingredients are "bleach" related.

Does anyone know how many times in a day you have to spray Lysol to keep it's effects in the rooms. I know I have been going thru each moring before arrivals and spraying thru 4 rooms, and maybe 1 time during the day, 1 can doesn't last too long.
Unregistered 06:38 AM 09-17-2009
I am installing a touch free hand sanitizer dispenser in my day care room. It was like $10 bucks or so on Amazon and the refills of the gel are like $15. I will be using it faithfully. When the kids come in they get a squirt when they leave, they get a squirt. My staff and I will be using it for all diaper changes and nose wipings. And lots and lots of hand washing. Also have the Clorox Wipes and bleach and water spray, etc.
karen 02:31 PM 09-18-2009

I have an In home day care and this is what I do to disinfect..... This is only good for 24 hours. Every morning this is part of my routine.
I use a cap full of bleach to 1 spray bottle filled with water all the way to the top. I put the bleach in first. I spray everything down every night after everyone is gone. Toys, Toilets, Sink, Changing Table, Doorknobs, you get the gist of it.....: I just let it air dry at night to kill the germs.
I have often sprayed some on a paper towel and patted it on my clothes when I've spilled coffee on my self!
Hope this helps.
I have found that bleach is the cheapest disinfectant that you can buy and if made properly it does work.
Unregistered 09:36 AM 09-21-2009
I really like Clorox anytime spray!!! However, I go through it fast. I use a bleach and water solution and I keep sanitizer in every room pretty much. I also sanitize the toys and all surfaces, switches, knobs and such daily. I'm totally obsessive-compulsive about germs but that's OK. We rarely get sick so it pays to be anal!!! Also, I am a Adult/child/infant CPR, first aid, aed and blood born pathogens instructor who also went to nursing school for a while. Too much info can really turn you into a germophobe.
Unregistered 03:18 AM 09-22-2009
I just got my registration and took my training over the summer and our state says we have to use a bleach/water solution...it's the most effective way of killing germs and bleach is cheap and you only need a very very little bit...1/4 teaspoon to 1 quart of water is our new regulation.

I would just remember all surfaces touched...doorknobs, refridgerator door, light switches, ect.
Michael 04:38 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by karen:

I have an In home day care and this is what I do to disinfect..... This is only good for 24 hours. Every morning this is part of my routine.
I use a cap full of bleach to 1 spray bottle filled with water all the way to the top. I put the bleach in first. I spray everything down every night after everyone is gone. Toys, Toilets, Sink, Changing Table, Doorknobs, you get the gist of it.....: I just let it air dry at night to kill the germs.
I have often sprayed some on a paper towel and patted it on my clothes when I've spilled coffee on my self!
Hope this helps.
I have found that bleach is the cheapest disinfectant that you can buy and if made properly it does work.
Karen,

Did you actually sign up in 2009 and just come back to the forum in 2011?

Well I finally upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
AnneCordelia 05:56 PM 10-05-2011
I have also been using bleach. I spray down surfaces, toys, doorknobs, phones, railings, ect. I don't have any carpet so I don't have to worry about that. I have hand sanitizer pumps at my front door and bathroom. I encourage parents to use it on themselves and their children as they come and go. I feel more at ease knowing I'm trying to kill the germs as best I can.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:18 PM 10-05-2011
Our regulations require us to use bleach. We use 1 tablespoon per quart of water in a spray bottle. I use it for cleaning counters, tables, diaper changing surfaces, etc.
I also have a bottle of hand sanitizer next to my sign in sheet, so parents can use it, and I ask them to use it when they drop kids off. I use it a zillion times a day.

As far as toys, my regulations say all toys need to be bleach cleaned every night. Soaked in bleach water, then rinsed, then air dryed. Every day, every toy.

That being said, I dont do that. If I cleaned every toy every night I'd be up all night. I dont have a designated daycare space, so no where to put the toys while they dry.

So I just use lysol disenfectant spray. I spray down the toys, and then let them dry. When I spray I also do surfaces, doorknobs, etc. So far it works fairly well. I think sometimes there isnt much you can do, the germs will still get you, but I can try. :-) I'm also OBSESSIVE about cleaning the handles on grocery carts when I shop. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse, and use it all the time, on every cart before I touch it. :-)
laundrymom 03:51 AM 10-06-2011
I vacuum every morning , at nap, and in the evening if I feel like it. I mop when it needs it. I toss slimy toys in sink when they are slobbered on or visibly dirty. I use either Lysol wipes or spray cleaner on hard surfaces. I stick to Flylady. Swish, swipe, shine my sinks. I use quantinary water for food surfaces because I have a bleach allergy. I don't go overboard and we seem to do fine.
karen 10:41 AM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Karen,

Did you actually sign up in 2009 and just come back to the forum in 2011?

Well I finally upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
I completely forgot about this site UGH!!!!! I am really not that much of an airhead I swear!
iheartkids 11:05 AM 10-06-2011
Anyone use the Norwex Envirocloths? A consultant friend of mine says they kill 99.9% bacteria WITHOUT using cleaners. She is encouraging me to use these instead of spraying bleach. Just wondered about anyone's opinions towards this.
WImom 12:54 PM 10-06-2011
I use 7th Generation Disinfect Spray (go through a bottle a month). I do use clorox wipes (unhappily) because I could choose between that and bleach. I figure this way I'm not spraying it in the air. Luckily I only have two in diapers so I don't use it often.
Tags:bleach, disinfect
Reply Up