Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap mat repair/glue?
LittleScholars 05:57 AM 02-01-2018
I use the angeles nap mats, and they've been great for us for 2 years; however, some are suddenly starting to split at the seams. I'd like to try to repair them before purchasing new ones (they seem to have so much more life in them). Has this happened to anyone/any repair tips? I'm thinking some sort of glue?
Blackcat31 05:58 AM 02-01-2018
We aren't allowed to "repair" or "mend" and must replace.

Check with your licensor and double check that using repaired mats are acceptable.

Personally I see nothing wrong with it but I don't write the daycare regulations...
Cat Herder 06:00 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Check with your licensor and double check that using repaired mats are acceptable.

Personally I see nothing wrong with it but I don't write the daycare regulations...
Same.

And I have a mat chewer right now. It is awesome.
LittleScholars 06:52 AM 02-01-2018

Looking at the regulations I think it is fine, especially since they are perfect splits on the seams (once they get gross they are GONE).

Do you have mats that you're finding more durable? I have found these so comfortable, but it is super odd that all of a sudden almost all are splitting. I can't deal with a shelf life of 2 years.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Looking at the regulations I think it is fine, especially since they are perfect splits on the seams (once they get gross they are GONE).

Do you have mats that you're finding more durable? I have found these so comfortable, but it is super odd that all of a sudden almost all are splitting. I can't deal with a shelf life of 2 years.
I've always just bought the kindergarten nap mats that are on sale in the Back to School section at Target/Walmart and haven't had any issues with them. But I also don't allow the kids to take them out, fold or unfold nor put away. I do all that myself so that they are folded correctly and not damaged.

Like Cat Herder, I have a nap time "picker" right now and it's alot of work to supervise but I am NOT spending more $ on something that doesn't have to be destroyed...

When I am inspected, they look for tape or repairs and recommend replacing if repaired because access to the foam inside is dangerous and if I put tape on them, the tape becomes a danger too...

I have considered requiring a nap mat (on parent's dime) upon enrollment but just haven't gone there yet. My nap picker might push me soon though.
LittleScholars 07:03 AM 02-01-2018
I've always just bought the kindergarten nap mats that are on sale in the Back to School section at Target/Walmart and haven't had any issues with them. But I also don't allow the kids to take them out, fold or unfold nor put away. I do all that myself so that they are folded correctly and not damaged.

Like Cat Herder, I have a nap time "picker" right now and it's alot of work to supervise but I am NOT spending more $ on something that doesn't have to be destroyed...

When I am inspected, they look for tape or repairs and recommend replacing if repaired because access to the foam inside is dangerous and if I put tape on them, the tape becomes a danger too...

I have considered requiring a nap mat (on parent's dime) upon enrollment but just haven't gone there yet. My nap picker might push me soon though.
I'm thinking I might require this of parents when this group turns over, as well. So far the kids do treat them well, but they also so 100% of the cleaning up (intentionally), so I bet that has something to do with it.

I wouldn't use tape because that scares me even though I can see all of them at all times. I'm grateful that licensing (so far) never checks things like that. But if I didn't think they could be safely repaired I wouldn't do it, so I think they tend to make that assumption.

I love these ones because they are thicker, but it may be time for the cheaper ones
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 02-01-2018
I went with dream on me 3 inch crib mattresses (evacuation crib sized ). 2 inch is minimum and if they compress (as they all do) and don't measure at least 2 inches with a ruler at each inspection, I am cited. https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Me-Port...+crib+mattress

It makes it easier, too, since each child can use the same mattress from crib to aging out if I am lucky. The large slip on kindermat sheets work great with them. http://www.kinderkidzstuff.com/product-p/502393m.htm
LittleScholars 07:14 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I went with dream on me 3 inch crib mattresses (evacuation crib sized ). 2 inch is minimum and if they compress (as they all do) and don't measure at least 2 inches with a ruler at each inspection, I am cited. https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Me-Port...+crib+mattress

It makes it easier, too, since each child can use the same mattress from crib to aging out if I am lucky. The large slip on kindermat sheets work great with them. http://www.kinderkidzstuff.com/product-p/502393m.htm
This is helpful, and also interesting that you have such strict nap mat requirements! I don't take infants or use cribs, but if I ever do this is a GREAT idea! Thank you!
Cat Herder 07:16 AM 02-01-2018
This is helpful, and also interesting that you have such strict nap mat requirements! I don't take infants or use cribs, but if I ever do this is a GREAT idea! Thank you!
You don't even want to know about the fencing and mulch requirements.
BrynleeJean 11:49 AM 02-01-2018
I use the angeles nap mats, and they've been great for us for 2 years; however, some are suddenly starting to split at the seams. I'd like to try to repair them before purchasing new ones (they seem to have so much more life in them). Has this happened to anyone/any repair tips? I'm thinking some sort of glue?
I JUST donated 5 mats to my locate donation center today because, here, if there is a rip at all, they are no good, id get written up for it and i felt the same way, so clean and nice just beautiful rips on the side or corners.. i figured some moms may get good use out of them.
Reply Up