Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Should I Handle This??
rhondawarren 10:04 AM 03-28-2012
I currently watch an infant for a girl. Well her daughter (whom is 5) was on Spring Break this week and needed a sitter. So I got a text on Sunday asking if I would care to watch her daughter too because she cant find a sitter for her and she is on spring break. I have the open space so I told her that I would be fine with watching her. I told her to how much I would charge to add the daughter for the week. So she said ok so I bring that tomorrow when I drop them off? I said yes.

So .... she comes drops off both kids and pays me nothing that morning. I thought well maybe she forgot because Ive not had a problem with her paying. Well she gets there in the afternoon and she at first didnt mentian it. Then she says ... Oh yeah I have some of the money for this week in my car do you want me to go get it. I said yes. She says can I give you the rest tomorrow? I have to stop at the ATM. So since she had over half I told her yes just bring it tomorrow.

The next morning she brings them, doesnt bring or mentian the money. So I thought okay ... maybe she is going to grab it on her way to pick them up. She gets here and again acts like she didnt want to mentian it and does right before she leaves and says ... is it ok if I pay you the rest on Friday because I thought I had more money I dont know what happened, maybe I spent more than I thought. So I said yes fine.

So ... I am debating on whether or not to make it clear that she needs to bring me the money when she drops her kids off Friday. Or should I just let it go and see if she brings it to me Friday???

So frustrating having to beg for money that you are owed!!!!
MrsB 10:10 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
I currently watch an infant for a girl. Well her daughter (whom is 5) was on Spring Break this week and needed a sitter. So I got a text on Sunday asking if I would care to watch her daughter too because she cant find a sitter for her and she is on spring break. I have the open space so I told her that I would be fine with watching her. I told her to how much I would charge to add the daughter for the week. So she said ok so I bring that tomorrow when I drop them off? I said yes.

So .... she comes drops off both kids and pays me nothing that morning. I thought well maybe she forgot because Ive not had a problem with her paying. Well she gets there in the afternoon and she at first didnt mentian it. Then she says ... Oh yeah I have some of the money for this week in my car do you want me to go get it. I said yes. She says can I give you the rest tomorrow? I have to stop at the ATM. So since she had over half I told her yes just bring it tomorrow.

The next morning she brings them, doesnt bring or mentian the money. So I thought okay ... maybe she is going to grab it on her way to pick them up. She gets here and again acts like she didnt want to mentian it and does right before she leaves and says ... is it ok if I pay you the rest on Friday because I thought I had more money I dont know what happened, maybe I spent more than I thought. So I said yes fine.

So ... I am debating on whether or not to make it clear that she needs to bring me the money when she drops her kids off Friday. Or should I just let it go and see if she brings it to me Friday???

So frustrating having to beg for money that you are owed!!!!
This one is hard for me, because I would never have allowed her to stay the first morning without payment.
But absolutely remind her and tell her that her children (both) will not be able to attend friday morning or next week until the balance is paid.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:21 AM 03-28-2012
Here is what I do when I cant find the courage to ask for my money.

A big sign on the front of my door that says:

Payments are due today.
Children will not be accepted tomorrow until payments in full are received.
Thank you for your cooperation regarding this matter.

I have only had to do this once.
Every parents asked me was it directed towards them? I said no to every single one of them, even though it was.

Sometimes I have to put up a sign reminding parents that it is payday. They like it cause they get busy and forget sometimes.

I have a magnetic white board that sticks to my front door. Got it at Walmart.
The best $10 i ever spent!
rhondawarren 10:22 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
This one is hard for me, because I would never have allowed her to stay the first morning without payment.
But absolutely remind her and tell her that her children (both) will not be able to attend friday morning or next week until the balance is paid.
I know!! That is what I have in my contract and what I should have went through will and probably should from now on.

But, see last week I let a family of two go because they were tearing up everything in my house, didnt listen to anything I said, their parents would drop them off earlier than agreed and they would be here ten hours later and they would come pick them up later than agreed. So it was bad. So I let them go last week. She knows this and I think she knows Im in the process of replacing them so she thinks I need the money and would let her by with it I think. Really ticks me off!!

I am seriously thinking I need to tell her that because I am letting her take advantage of me otherwise. Here I am watching her children and feeding them lunch, snack and drinks not knowing if I will be paid the rest. How people could do that I will never know!!

I am already watching her infant for a cheaper rate than I should be because they started before I raised my rates and I wasnt going to raise their rates. I really to be honest with you dont even want to watch an infant at all. But right now I am working on replacing the two that didnt listen so I need to money.

Doesnt help when you have to beg for your money though. To make matters worse ... my kids are on Spring Break this week. So to think that I may be watching these kids and taking up my kids spring break time for nothing really ticks me off.
rhondawarren 10:27 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
Here is what I do when I cant find the courage to ask for my money.

A big sign on the front of my door that says:

Payments are due today.
Children will not be accepted tomorrow until payments in full are received.
Thank you for your cooperation regarding this matter.

I have only had to do this once.
Every parents asked me was it directed towards them? I said no to every single one of them, even though it was.

Sometimes I have to put up a sign reminding parents that it is payday. They like it cause they get busy and forget sometimes.

I have a magnetic white board that sticks to my front door. Got it at Walmart.
The best $10 i ever spent!
Thats a great idea!

I believe I am going to tell her to bring me the money Friday morning when she comes back with her kids. I do not have them tomorrow. So I think I will do that.
MrsB 10:52 AM 03-28-2012
Thats a great idea!

I believe I am going to tell her to bring me the money Friday morning when she comes back with her kids. I do not have them tomorrow. So I think I will do that.
I dont know if you text or email with this mom, but Thursday evening you could send a quick note.

Per our verbal agreement payment is due in the morning. No further extensions will be allowed.

Sometimes some parents just need to know that you didnt forget and are requiring it on this day to comply.

Its is truelly sad that some parents make their daycare bill a last priority or dont plan/budget for when their school age children are off. Unfortunatley we as providers need to make them, make it a priority.

I sure hope you get your $ friday!
rhondawarren 10:57 AM 03-28-2012
We do text. In fact I thought about sending her a text now letting her know to be sure she has the money on Friday morning when she brings the kids.

I just cant believe it because I would never let someone watch my kids with a thought that they may or may not be paid. I just do not understand people I guess.

To make matters worse ... I walked outside with them as they left and in her cup holder in her car she had a super sized McDonalds cup ... I was thinking GRRRRrrrr You can afford McDonalds just not what we agreed on for childcare!
frugalmama4 11:04 AM 03-28-2012
IMO as many providers here say NO PAY...NO PLAY.

I'm so sick of this too from parents...how in the hek do you not remember to pay your child care bill. I mean does your landlord/mortgage company call you on the first of every dang month and say " don't forget to put the ck in da mail" I THINK NOT.

Come on parents...if you are having money issues then say so...so that us providers can make arrangement for our on finances.

I have one dcf that I'm always having to remind them of payment and they work for a bank really?????

Sorry I had to get that out! But yes call her...no texting/email and tell her all fees are due Friday morning at drop off no exception.
daycare 11:06 AM 03-28-2012
For those with a weak backbone when trying to enforce something, this is how I do it...

I first send an email like this home

One of the parts I like least about running a daycare business is having to enforce all of the rules and policies to the parents. I never want to be the bad guy and start enforcing fees on anyone. But as the business owner and only employee, unfortunately I have to be the one to do it all.

Please be considerate of my time, as I am with yours. Just as you expect me to be here when you need me so that you can go to work each day, I expect all of you to follow the rules.

Running a daycare business along with incorporating a preschool program takes a lot of organization, planning and time. (insert your issue here)

then I talk to them and I explain Most businesses have an HR dept. Management Dept. and etc, and they have other people to run and enforce all of the company policies, well the only thing I have to run my business is me. So please understand that if I don't enforce my rules, no one would and this business would fall apart in seconds.

I have had to get firm like this several times with a few parents in the past.. Once I explain it this to them they stop.....
daycare 11:08 AM 03-28-2012
Sorry, I can't recall exactly how I wrote it, but something along these lines
rhondawarren 11:19 AM 03-28-2012
I dont know if you text or email with this mom, but Thursday evening you could send a quick note.

Per our verbal agreement payment is due in the morning. No further extensions will be allowed.

Sometimes some parents just need to know that you didnt forget and are requiring it on this day to comply.

Its is truelly sad that some parents make their daycare bill a last priority or dont plan/budget for when their school age children are off. Unfortunatley we as providers need to make them, make it a priority.

I just sent her a text and told her:

"Please be sure that you bring the rest of this weeks payment for the childcare when you drop them off Friday Morning. I normally add a late fee if the payment isnt made the second morning but Im not going to this time. Just be sure to have the payment when you drop them off Friday morning. "

So we will see how she responds to that.
rhondawarren 11:26 AM 03-28-2012
I just sent her a text and told her:

"Please be sure that you bring the rest of this weeks payment for the childcare when you drop them off Friday Morning. I normally add a late fee if the payment isnt made the second morning but Im not going to this time. Just be sure to have the payment when you drop them off Friday morning. "

So we will see how she responds to that.
Well .... she text back and said:

"No prob I will Thanks for not adding a late fee! I dont plan on being late again! Thank you again!"

So we will see if she has it Friday or not. If not then I hope she has fun taking two kids to school with her
momma2girls 11:33 AM 03-28-2012
Is your pay day on Mon. the 1st day of the work week or Fri. before the work week? Mine is on Monday of the work week.
rhondawarren 11:37 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
Is your pay day on Mon. the 1st day of the work week or Fri. before the work week? Mine is on Monday of the work week.
Mine is Monday (or the first day that they are scheduled to come for childcare). For example my FT'ers would be Monday but, I have one PT that sometimes doesnt come until Wed. So I just let them pay on Wed when they bring him. Of course I have NEVER had any trouble with that family paying me either. I am very lucky with them.

BUT ..... I think having families pay the last day they are there for the next week is an awesome, awesome idea so you know in advance if you are to have an opening! The only thing is converting everyone over to that may be a pain. Not sure of a good way to make the switch. Ya know?
rhondawarren 05:22 AM 03-30-2012

Just an Update on this situation.

I text her on Wed and let her know to bring the money Friday morning when she dropped the kids off. Well .... its Friday morning and she brought the rest of the money so I guess I made myself clear that I will not be taken advantage of

People will only do what you will let them do =)
cheerfuldom 10:21 AM 03-30-2012
Glad to hear things worked out. I know it is awkward to have those conversations sometimes but I promise, the more you stand firm for your policies, the better you will get at it and the less you will have to do it. I have two families that have required zero policy enforcements for months and months, the third family needs a few reminders but they are newer and its nothing major. This is a whole different world than when I first started. Keep it up!
MizzCheryl 10:25 AM 03-30-2012
Great. Glad she paid up. It is nice to have a parent that does what they say they will do. I hate hounding people for payments.
rhondawarren 11:00 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Glad to hear things worked out. I know it is awkward to have those conversations sometimes but I promise, the more you stand firm for your policies, the better you will get at it and the less you will have to do it. I have two families that have required zero policy enforcements for months and months, the third family needs a few reminders but they are newer and its nothing major. This is a whole different world than when I first started. Keep it up!
Thanks so much!! I think she realized I am serious about being paid So she said she will never be late again lol.
Reply Up