Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>May Lose Kids During Summer
Disneyfan 11:20 AM 03-02-2015
Right now I am full. I only have 2 families (multiple children in each family) plus I have 2 girls. I talked to both families and they both may leave during summer to have a teenager watch their children so they don't have to pay as much. I am sending out a letter saying I need to know by April 6th if they will be attending during the summer or not so I can have time to advertise and hopefully fill the spots. The one family I believe will be honest and if they say and sign/date that they will be here for summer they will. But the other Mom I can see her saying yes they will come and then back out closer to summer. Would it be ok for me to ask for a down payment of $100 non refundable to hold their spot for summer? But if they do stay it will be put towards the first week of summers pay. TIA.
Second Home 11:28 AM 03-02-2015
I have 1 family ( 0f 3 dck) who does this every year , it is cheaper for them to hire a high schooler to watch their 3 kids , I let them know if they leave then I will not hold their spot .

It is heard to fill spots here so I am never full and always have room for them to come back when school starts .

I see nothing wrong with asking for a non refundable summer deposit that goes towards the first week of care .

You may want to put something that refers to this in your policy /parent handbook too. That way they know in advance.
laundrymom 11:34 AM 03-02-2015
Do you run seperate summer and school year programs?
If not, I would just tell them that you understand their situation and require whatever termination notice you have in your contract and hope to see them in the fall. I wouldn't wait for them to leave you income less though. I would advertise now for an opening in summer and if you have to term the wishy-washy family for a steadier paycheck then do it.
This is your income. This isn't something you do just because you're bored.
You deserve to demand respect.
They are basicly saying
"You aren't worth the money I pay you so anytime I can find someone cheaper, I will"

JMO. But this is how I feel about it.
Unregistered 08:47 PM 03-02-2015
Yes it is okay to ask for a deposit for the summer/next "school" year. This way you can have an idea of how many spaces you need to fill and have time to fill them. I have been doing this since I opened and most preschools around me do the same thing. I make it a $100 non refundable deposit applicable towards August tuition which is the beginning of my "school" year. I send out my reregistration letter outlining any changes for the new school year so families can see if my program still fits their needs. I just sent out the letter yesterday and give families 2 weeks to respond, however I have been informing them of all the changes and the form going out since January so they have time to look for alternate care if needed. I have already started advertising.
Disneyfan 06:58 AM 03-03-2015
Thanks everyone for the advice. Laundrymom I run my daycare the same throughout the year. And YES I AGREE with you how they don't think they should pay me the amount that they do. The one parent tried a couple times getting a teen to watch her 1 child at the time and the one teen did something wrong(wasn't watching him good???) and the other complained on fb that she wasn't getting paid enough. lol. So will see how this works out for her this year with 2 kids. I will work on that letter tonight and be getting it out this week.
Reply Up