Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Pet
MommyD 10:00 AM 01-31-2018
I tried searching for "pet" and "dog" and "new pet", but the search told me they weren't long enough... Up until June we had a cat in our house. Now, we are considering a dog. One big hang-up is 1 of the 2 kids(i.e. 1/2 my income) I watch is allergic to dogs (and cats). They also had a dog at home until about a year ago when it passed away. My contract states that parents will be notified of any new pets. This is a family that I've had for 2+ years, but he will be aging out by Fall. I'm not quite sure how to word a letter. I don't think I want to ask permission, but I also don't want to alienate them. Any month I don't have to enroll a new kiddo is a good month. That is a lot of work! Plus, I don't have any potential clients lined up right now. Any advice on wording? I'm going to write a letter for sure.
AmyKidsCo 11:28 AM 01-31-2018
Just wanted to let you know... (add details, maybe include that shots will be kept up to date, how/when the dog will be with the children, etc) We're all excited about the new addition! Let me know if you have any questions.
CityGarden 08:15 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by MommyD:
I tried searching for "pet" and "dog" and "new pet", but the search told me they weren't long enough... Up until June we had a cat in our house. Now, we are considering a dog. One big hang-up is 1 of the 2 kids(i.e. 1/2 my income) I watch is allergic to dogs (and cats). They also had a dog at home until about a year ago when it passed away. My contract states that parents will be notified of any new pets. This is a family that I've had for 2+ years, but he will be aging out by Fall. I'm not quite sure how to word a letter. I don't think I want to ask permission, but I also don't want to alienate them. Any month I don't have to enroll a new kiddo is a good month. That is a lot of work! Plus, I don't have any potential clients lined up right now. Any advice on wording? I'm going to write a letter for sure.
Personally I would suggest you make sure you are in the financial position for the child to potentially leave or I would wait for the child to naturally leave in the Fall before adding a new dog to the family. You could also ask dcm but if you are not in the financial position for them to potentially leave and you do not want to wait I would have a conversation to figure out if this is a deal breaker for dcm.

As someone who had to re-home a dog due to my dd's allergies I know I would immediately pull. We did have the dog for 2 years and some people could say well she had a dog, not realizing in that time we tried everything allergy meds, replacing carpet with hardwood, dogs not allowed in bedrooms, etc. It was heartbreaking to see both my dd and my dog not thriving and their best due to allergies and their impact. Also I would suggest stating to dcm if you plan to get a hypoallergenic breed or a low/no shedding breed. For my dd she can visit anyone with any dog and be OK but living with one is different. We tried fostering a couple different breeds until we found one dd could handle in her space.

It seems you will need to market and line up another client anyway to ensure you have the space filled in Fall so I would be sure the new contract has language stating the child can/would be exposed to animals. I have a generic line item in my contract about contact with animals and list various types of animals they may come into contact with.

btw - we love sharing our life and home with our dog and cannot imagine not having one so we wish you the best of luck in welcoming one to your family.
BrynleeJean 01:35 PM 02-01-2018
Our family is growing! please meet our newest addition (add picture and name) arriving (date). If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to talk to me
Signed miss BLAHBLAH of Miss BLAHBLAH daycare

id post that on my door and my bulletin board in the hall and send home half sheet to all parents a few weeks before the arrival of our little pup.

its only seeming personal if YOU make it personal. Its a great joy for you. simple as that, you look out for 1. you and your family (i.e. getting a family dog) 2. your daycare (following that proper posting required, and shots of course) and the finally 3. the individual family.
its when we get those mixed up that it gets hairy.
Tags:pets
Reply Up