Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Question (Regarding 1 Yr Old/Morning Nap)
momneedscoffee 12:07 PM 07-17-2015
I have a 1 yr dcg and 2 three yr old boys. The boys' nap starts at 1pm. The 1 yr old has an AM nap as well. I usually lay her down around 9:30/10. The problem is, she sleeps until 11:30 or 12 and I would really like for her to have her afternoon nap the same time as the other kids. Lately if she sleeps that late in the morning I will wait til 2/2:30 to lay her back down. So suggestions on what I should do? Wake her up at a certain time? (I've never believed in waking a sleeping child... just never seems to go well haha). Or should I just put her back in the pack n play at 1 during the designated quiet time? Skip the AM nap (seems like a bad idea). It has been disruptive to the other boys when she is awake and they are trying to sleep (my house is pretty open so its hard for me to take her where she can play and not disturb them). Plus it just seems silly to have her running on her own schedule. Any advice is appreciated, THANKS!
Rockgirl 12:11 PM 07-17-2015
What I've done to make the transition to just an afternoon nap is shorten the morning nap to about 30 minutes. They have time to be refreshed, but are still tired enough to go down with the others. Then after awhile of that, I just keep them up all morning.
Thriftylady 12:12 PM 07-17-2015
Mine still takes an AM nap. She comes in at 8 and honestly is usually back in bed by 8:30 after we rock a bit. I wake her at 10. By one she is ready to go down again. I do wonder though if mine is getting enough sleep at night, because mom lets her play until she falls asleep playing and then puts her to bed so she won't cry. Funny thing is after a week or so of work, she goes right down for me lol.
AuntTami 12:15 PM 07-17-2015
What time is she coming in the morning/getting up in the AM?

I would nap her earlier in the morning than you currently are. 8:30-9:00ish and only let her nap for 30-45 minutes. By 1:00, she should be more than ready for a nap. She may even be ready earlier than that, and you can get some one on one with the bigger kids then too...
momneedscoffee 12:19 PM 07-17-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
What I've done to make the transition to just an afternoon nap is shorten the morning nap to about 30 minutes. They have time to be refreshed, but are still tired enough to go down with the others. Then after awhile of that, I just keep them up all morning.
Thank you! She has been here about 1 month. Started off with no AM nap and a 1-3pm nap with the rest, but parents wanted me to try putting her down for one as she would get super crabby at night. From what I understand tho, she doesn't even take naps at home on the weekends Maybe next week I will try dwindling the nap time down so she is up by at least 11. Its just SO HARD to wake a sleeping daycare kid haha!
momneedscoffee 12:21 PM 07-17-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Mine still takes an AM nap. She comes in at 8 and honestly is usually back in bed by 8:30 after we rock a bit. I wake her at 10. By one she is ready to go down again. I do wonder though if mine is getting enough sleep at night, because mom lets her play until she falls asleep playing and then puts her to bed so she won't cry. Funny thing is after a week or so of work, she goes right down for me lol.
Maybe I will try an earlier nap like that! I believe this one wakes up around 6/6:30 so perhaps she would be ready to nap earlier. And yep, not sure how this one sleeps at night either
momneedscoffee 12:27 PM 07-17-2015
She is here by 7:30, I believe she is usually awake by 6/6:30. Maybe I'll try to transition the nap to an earlier time.... thanks!
momneedscoffee 01:49 PM 07-17-2015
Another question (doing daycare is new to me, obviously! Things are so different with a group of kids opposed to just my own two!)
How long do you leave infants in their crib/pack n play during nap time if they aren't sleeping? This little girl, I will lay her down, rub her back and talk to her for a minute, then say goodnight, leave the door open a crack and leave the room. Sometimes she falls asleep right away and sometimes I can hear her talking/playing/kicking her feet, etc. I feel like if she isn't sleeping after so long (30/45 minutes?) I should take her out - but at the same time I feel like I should leave her there for an hour or so, sleeping or not, so that she starts to understand the quiet time concept. All the other kids are sleeping, lights are out, curtains drawn, soft music is playing. Now is time to rest, not play. Also, I know she is safe, clean, and fed. What do you guys do? Also do you let infants/babies "cry it out" during nap time? I haven't came across this problem yet... but for future reference! Thanks again
mommyneedsadayoff 02:55 PM 07-17-2015
Originally Posted by momneedscoffee:
Another question (doing daycare is new to me, obviously! Things are so different with a group of kids opposed to just my own two!)
How long do you leave infants in their crib/pack n play during nap time if they aren't sleeping? This little girl, I will lay her down, rub her back and talk to her for a minute, then say goodnight, leave the door open a crack and leave the room. Sometimes she falls asleep right away and sometimes I can hear her talking/playing/kicking her feet, etc. I feel like if she isn't sleeping after so long (30/45 minutes?) I should take her out - but at the same time I feel like I should leave her there for an hour or so, sleeping or not, so that she starts to understand the quiet time concept. All the other kids are sleeping, lights are out, curtains drawn, soft music is playing. Now is time to rest, not play. Also, I know she is safe, clean, and fed. What do you guys do? Also do you let infants/babies "cry it out" during nap time? I haven't came across this problem yet... but for future reference! Thanks again
Nice to see another North Dakotan! I agree on the one year old. Put her down about 8:30 and let her sleep till 9 or 9:30, then nap with everyone else at one. As for leaving them in their crib, I leave them till nap is over. They learn to enjoy their quiet time and since everyone is resting, they are not missing out on anything. If you start getting them up early, you may end up with other kids holding out so they can get up to. I start babies form a young age, so cry it out hasn't really been necessary for me, but they do fuss a bit sometimes when I first put them down. And sometimes they wake up 40 minutes into nap and cry for a minute or two before they go back to sleep. I don't go in the room, just let them figure out that when rest time is over, I will come
momneedscoffee 04:28 PM 07-17-2015
Thanks for the help! I'm going to try the early nap next week. It will be so nice if I can have all the kids sleeping in the PM
MommyMuffin 04:42 PM 07-18-2015
Let us know how it goes. I have 1 infant and will be starting another in a few months. Good to have others opinions
momneedscoffee 01:48 PM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Let us know how it goes. I have 1 infant and will be starting another in a few months. Good to have others opinions
Today dad said she woke up later than usual, around 7. I put her down for her am nap at 9 and woke her at ten. I felt bad waking her tho, she looked so sleepy! But no fussing or crying. Then I put her down after lunchch with the other kids at about 12:30. It's 2:45 and everyone is still sleeping! she woke up once during nap and made a little noise but went back to sleep. So this will be the new schedule thank you all for your advice!
AmyKidsCo 07:16 PM 07-20-2015
Once my kiddos turn 1 they don't get morning naps anymore. Usually it takes a week of crabbiness for them make the transition, then they take good afternoon naps.
Tags:infant - schedule, infant - sleeping issues, nap - multiple, quiet time, sleep - issues, sleep - length, sleep arrangement
Reply Up