Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Good Friday....Are You Off?
mac60 04:43 AM 03-31-2010
Just wondering how many are closed on Good Friday. I am working. When I started my business over 10 years ago, I was closed, then I had moms from the medical group and hospital who had to work on Good Friday, so I took it off as a paid holiday. But, for the past 2 years, I have only had one or two here, so not really worth it in my opinion. I may be changing that.

What makes me mad is, parents who have it off, work at the school, are bringing their kids anyways. They are closing on a house and in her words "Have all these meetings and papers to sign". OMG, learn how to deal with your children. And what I don't get, when we closed on our house, the bank/realtor took care of everything and we didn't "Have all these meetings" to do. Yea, I know you sign papers and all, but she made it sound like they have several different meeting to go to. Some people will do anything to not be with their kids. Funny thing, school has been closed all week on Spring break....and these 2 kids have been here everyday.
momma2girls 05:05 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Just wondering how many are closed on Good Friday. I am working. When I started my business over 10 years ago, I was closed, then I had moms from the medical group and hospital who had to work on Good Friday, so I took it off as a paid holiday. But, for the past 2 years, I have only had one or two here, so not really worth it in my opinion. I may be changing that.

What makes me mad is, parents who have it off, work at the school, are bringing their kids anyways. They are closing on a house and in her words "Have all these meetings and papers to sign". OMG, learn how to deal with your children. And what I don't get, when we closed on our house, the bank/realtor took care of everything and we didn't "Have all these meetings" to do. Yea, I know you sign papers and all, but she made it sound like they have several different meeting to go to. Some people will do anything to not be with their kids. Funny thing, school has been closed all week on Spring break....and these 2 kids have been here everyday.
Yes, this has also made me very mad in the past as well!!! My husband has always had it off, so 2 yrs. ago, I added this Holiday as well.
Between Jan. 1st and Memorial Day I never take a day off, so I figure in 5 months with no time off it's deserved.
SunflowerMama 05:06 AM 03-31-2010
I'm going to be open but will only have one child and only until 1pm. All my other families have the day off so they are keeping their kiddos home.
momma2girls 05:16 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I'm going to be open but will only have one child and only until 1pm. All my other families have the day off so they are keeping their kiddos home.
You are very lucky they keep their children at home, some of mine wouldn't even though they do not work. I know many friends of mine, the parents would still bring their children as well.
tymaboy 05:32 AM 03-31-2010
Funny thing, school has been closed all week on Spring break....and these 2 kids have been here everyday.
This is one of the reasons I only charge for the days they are here. But all my kids are full time & are in care 9-10 hours a day. When my elementary teacher was in care she was good at only having her kid in care on school days & I knew if school was canceled or off that she would not be here.

I am closed on Friday. Theres a few reasons why - Holy week, we usually go to church on Thursday but have gone a few times on Friday. Friday gives me a chance to get stuff done for Easter (this yr we're having close to 20 people at our house) Maybe I should start taking Monday after Easter off too just to clean the house up after everyone being here for Easter.
MissJulz 05:45 AM 03-31-2010
I take the monday after Easter. It seems a lot of businesses are closed that day anyway. Since this is my first year doing daycare, i'm wondering how my parents will react to this as well.
GretasLittleFriends 05:48 AM 03-31-2010
I will be working Good Friday. I will have 5 (maybe 6) of my 8 regulars. None of my parents have the day off, but none of them work 9-5 office jobs either. I'll be open for business as usual on Saturday as well. Easter Sunday of course I'll be closed, though I know one of my families who both parents have to work Easter as well.
momofboys 05:56 AM 03-31-2010
I am off that day. I arranged to be off that day months ago b/c of my kids' spring break. But my parent would have been off anyway as her child is getting tubes put in her ears.
momofboys 05:58 AM 03-31-2010

I hear ya! My parent once cancelled & rescheduled a parent-teacher conference that was after my hours b/c she said and I quote " there is NO Way I can handle my kids by myself for a 20 minute conference!" She said I had to watch them during the conference which is fine & all but I don't understand the concept. I went to my kids' conferneces with all my kids in tow & it was fine.
newtoeverything 06:23 AM 03-31-2010
I didn't take it off this year, but my parents told me that they had it off and they were keeping their kids home. I am super excited and already planned a family day! Next year I WILL add it to my holidays off though...
boysx5 07:38 AM 03-31-2010
this year I"m closed the first year I ever closed but we decided to go away this year and I only had one family that was coming and they never take time off to be with their kids so I was not opening for one family
originalkat 07:48 AM 03-31-2010
I have a scheduled paid holiday on Good Friday. None of my parents have it off, but honestly I dont care. I take the days that are important to me. That is why I am in business for myself...so I get to choose.

Here is how I have it in my parent handbook:

Holidays

I strive to provide families with an exceptional quality, all-day, year round education program. I try to recognize the needs of working parents and their families. Holidays and breaks are necessary for the well being of all. Please see the calendar for specific dates. If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will observe it on either the Friday before or the Monday after.

We will be closed on the following paid holidays.

New Year Day
Martin Luther King Jr.
President’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve (Close Early)
Christmas Day
MarinaVanessa 08:01 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will observe it on either the Friday before or the Monday after.

We will be closed on the following paid holidays.

New Year Day
Martin Luther King Jr.
President’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve (Close Early)
Christmas Day
This is exactly the same holidays that I take off and pretty much how I work also. If a holidays falls on a saturday then were closed friday etc. But I have just found that my fiance doesn't always get those holidays off and has to work and usually my daughter goes to school so I'm stuck at home alone. I could always to stuff but theres not much I can do alone so I usually tell the parents that I'll stay open. For example, I should eb closed Monday because of Easter but my entire family works, my friends all work and my daughter goes to school. So I decided I didn't want to stay home alone or go to the movies alone or read alone or do pretty much everything alone so I let them know last week that I would be opened. I think I'll actually only have an 8 month old coming in and that would be great. For me some company is better than no company lol. Even if he's only 8 months old.
Pammie 08:11 AM 03-31-2010
I'm off from my regular kiddos tomorrow (all have teacher parents who have the day off anyway) - but I'm having a pizza/bowling party in the afternoon for my "alumni" kids ---all those kids that grew-up in my daycare and are now in middle/high school and no longer need "daycare". ...and no longer see all of their friends that they grew up with here. I'm so excited to see them all - and from what I hear from them, they"re all excited too:-)
safechner 08:48 AM 03-31-2010
I will be working this Friday but I am not sure if they will be here or not. My husband's work will be closed for holiday. He is so lucky! If I am lucky to have a day off then we can go ahead plan to do something for fun with our family. Next year, I will be closed Good Friday because my husband always will have a day off for holiday and my kids, too. I am not sure if my kids will go to school this Friday for making up bad weather. I am going to find out today.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:21 AM 03-31-2010
Im off and next week is our vacation (spring break). I have my days off listed as follows. The parents think I dont get paid for my vacation but several years ago I began putting 3 dollars a week from each family towards my vacation fund. =-) makes for a nice little paycheck on that week. ,....

September 4, 2009 #1 Paid Personal Day
September 7, 2009 Labor Day - Paid Holiday
October 30, 2009 #2 Paid Personal Day
November 26, 2009 Thanksgiving - Paid Holiday
November 27, 2009 #3 Paid Personal Day
December 25, 2009 Christmas Day - Paid Holiday
January 1, 2010 New Years Day - Paid Holiday
January 18, 2010 OPEN used to close on this day
February 15, 2010 Presidents Day - Paid Holiday
April 2, 2010 Good Friday - Paid Holiday
April 5-9, 2010 closed for vacation - unpaid
May 7, 2010 Childcare Provider Appreciation Day - Paid Holiday
May 31, 2010 Memorial Day - Paid Holiday
May 28, 2010 #4 paid personal Day (Chris Graduates High School!)
July 2or5 will announce when Jason’s work does Independence Day - Paid Holiday
August 2-6 2010, closed for vacation - unpaid

I will be closed the day before the first day of school for the 2010/2011 school year for #5 of my 5 paid personal days. This will be around August 10 , 2010. I will give you the exact date as soon as I find out.
Former Teacher 02:36 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I'm off from my regular kiddos tomorrow (all have teacher parents who have the day off anyway) - but I'm having a pizza/bowling party in the afternoon for my "alumni" kids ---all those kids that grew-up in my daycare and are now in middle/high school and no longer need "daycare". ...and no longer see all of their friends that they grew up with here. I'm so excited to see them all - and from what I hear from them, they"re all excited too:-)
Aww how sweet! I know its always a good feeling to me when I see a former "child" of mine who is all grown up. A few times I even shed a few tears
Former Teacher 02:39 PM 03-31-2010

This will be the first Good Friday in my entire adult life that I have to actually work haha. My former center was always closed. Now that I work for a private family. The company that mom works for is an international company and dad is a doctor in the military. They both are working that day. Oh well. Still love the job though
melissa ann 03:12 PM 03-31-2010
I'm off. I'm going to be coloring easter eggs with my kids and going to Pizza hut for lunch, although they don't know the part of the pizza yet.
gkids09 03:22 PM 03-31-2010
I'm off...sort of...The kids won't be there, but I am painting the playroom this weekend!! Yay!! Can't wait to see their faces when they come in Monday!
MN Mom 11:19 AM 04-02-2010
I've been off since Tuesday at 4:30 and I won't have the children until next Thursday at 6:30am! Yay for 1 week vacations! I didn't expect it, but the parents decided to take 3 days of vacation time each and divide the children duties between them. I have SOOOO been enjoying this time with my children on Spring Break.

I do not have a contract (as this is just co-workers of my husband I'm caring for) nor do I intend to expand my services, so this is unpaid, but fine by me! 1 week of no baby screaming is a good trade-off imho!
Chickenhauler 01:31 AM 04-04-2010

There is much, much, much more to closing on a house than slapping down a John Hancock on a few slips of paper. Especially if in your purchase agreement there is contingent items (fix this, paint that, repair this, clean that, etc).

Final pre-closing inspection? Try doing one of those with a toddler in tow. They're a PITA without kids.......at least a thorough one.
mac60 03:09 AM 04-05-2010
So, I ended up with only 3 children on Friday. No babies. The family I spoke of above did not come after all. Their deal went thru, and were not able to get 100% financing so no closing after all. The point of my post was parents who will find any and every reason to NOT be with their children. God forbid they may have to sit there and hold their baby, or make their 3 yr old behave, I don't care if they have to sign their name 5 times or 15. There is a lot more to having children than just the conceiving of them. They come to dc so mom can clean house, so mom can paint, so mom can blah blah blah. Mom has day off, they come to dc.
Tags:days off, good friday, tgif
Reply Up