Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Running From Their Parents
originalkat 07:10 AM 03-17-2010
Do any of you have issues with the dc kids running from their parents on the way to the car? I have a dcg who always is well behaved for me but knows her dad is a pushover. I watched yesterday as she refused to get in the car and played cat and mouse around the car for several minutes before he finally got her into the car! How rediculous! I wanted to run out there and tell him to get control of his kid!!!!!!!!! Of course I didn't. Our home isset back far from the street, but still I think it is a HUGE safety issue.
Unregistered 07:24 AM 03-17-2010
Yup.
Parents seem to make the children loose their minds.
I have one (3.5) that NEVER runs from me. I was shocked when he made a run for it with his mom.
She holds him by the collar of his shirt at drop off and pick up now. I don't even have to remind him to go straight to the gate.
Oh well.
Persephone 07:33 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Do any of you have issues with the dc kids running from their parents on the way to the car? I have a dcg who always is well behaved for me but knows her dad is a pushover. I watched yesterday as she refused to get in the car and played cat and mouse around the car for several minutes before he finally got her into the car! How rediculous! I wanted to run out there and tell him to get control of his kid!!!!!!!!! Of course I didn't. Our home isset back far from the street, but still I think it is a HUGE safety issue.
So how do you suggest that he gets control of his kid?
momma2girls 07:34 AM 03-17-2010
I know one of my girls used to do that as well. Now I just shut the door when they leave and start my supper. I don't worry about what goes on out there. They are with their parents and that is all that matters!!
Childminder 07:43 AM 03-17-2010
I have had children do that as well. It is a safety issue especially since it is in my driveway and another parent could pull in or the child could run into the road. I have gone out to the child and physically picked up the child or taken their hand and told them in no uncertain terms that they won't do that and why. I don't care if the parent is embarrassed or what! My home, my business, my lively hood, my responsibility. If they want to play tag at home - not my business!
TGT09 07:56 AM 03-17-2010
My bigger issue is kids running and hiding when their parents show up! It's getting super annoying!
newtoeverything 08:37 AM 03-17-2010
I have never had that issue (we are far from the street)..but as one of the parents I know calls it Mommyitis or Daddyitis. They are good for us for some things and bad for the parents. I would say something about the traffic going faster than normal down your street or people are not paying attention when driving. Maybe he will get better control without thinking you are telling him how to parent - which obviously he needs it!
missnikki 08:58 AM 03-17-2010
Why not one day take them out front and have a lesson about street dangers? If you can't change the way the parent thinks, you can help the child gain respect for the driveway/cars/road. From there, it's on the parent.
mac60 08:59 AM 03-17-2010
Don't take this wrong, but when a parent walks out of my front door to get to their car, their child is no longer my responsibility. If they take off and run, not my problem, unless they are in my landscaping then it totally pisses me off. This all goes back to a parent taking responsibility. When they go out that door with mom and dad, they are no longer my charges. If a child runs out in the street, it is mom or dads fault not mine. I can not be responsible once they go out to the door.
missnikki 09:02 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Don't take this wrong, but when a parent walks out of my front door to get to their car, their child is no longer my responsibility. If they take off and run, not my problem, unless they are in my landscaping then it totally pisses me off. This all goes back to a parent taking responsibility. When they go out that door with mom and dad, they are no longer my charges. If a child runs out in the street, it is mom or dads fault not mine. I can not be responsible once they go out to the door.
I didn't take it wrong, I just read it and thought how horrible I would feel if anything happened. Legality aside, I would have wanted to at least helped them understand the dangers of the road. But yes, I agree about where the responsibility ends.
Pammie 10:47 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I didn't take it wrong, I just read it and thought how horrible I would feel if anything happened. Legality aside, I would have wanted to at least helped them understand the dangers of the road. But yes, I agree about where the responsibility ends.
I'm *totally* responsible for my daycare children for the 11 hours/day that I'm open. Once I hand the child over to the parents, my responsibility for that child ends. The same children that act-up and run amuck with their parents around, aren't the ones that are going to stop and think about safety lessons before they do.
In my 23 years of doing daycare - caring for children between 8-15 hours each and every day, I've never had a child hurt that a band-aid didn't fix. Now in those same 23 years, I can't tell you how many times one of my daycare children have ended up in the emergency room for an injury that happened - during the 4 or 5 waking hours/day that they are with their parents. Absolutely I feel bad for the child - but I *really* feel angry with the parents.
Kenny 11:11 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
My bigger issue is kids running and hiding when their parents show up! It's getting super annoying!
I have 2 kids that do that as well, it was annoying. So now I have them get their stuff ready 5 minutes before their parents pick them up!
mac60 11:13 AM 03-17-2010
Yes, I too would feel horrible if a child got hut because mom or dad did not properly watch and care for them from stepping off my porch to getting in the car......
momma2girls 11:15 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I fully agree with you! They need to have control over their children!!
originalkat 12:35 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
I suggest he hold her hand and take her straight to the carseat and enforce what he asks her to do instead of trying to make things into a game when she doesnt listen. This is not the only instance she disobeys him. He just lets her ignore what he has asked her to do. It makes me so mad!
originalkat 12:42 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I know one of my girls used to do that as well. Now I just shut the door when they leave and start my supper. I don't worry about what goes on out there. They are with their parents and that is all that matters!!
I know...sometimes I let myself get worked up about things that are beyond my control. Once they leave then I shouldnt worry about it. He will have to figure out how to control his own child. The crazy thing is he is a high school teacher and controls classrooms full of teenagers everyday, but somehow a little 3 year old he cant. She is such a compliant little girl. All he would have to do is put his foot down and REQUIRE her to do as she is told and I dont think he would have many more issues.
momma2girls 01:18 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Kenny:
I have 2 kids that do that as well, it was annoying. So now I have them get their stuff ready 5 minutes before their parents pick them up!
I do this as well, I usually start 10 min. before contracted pick up times- it works well, not having children act up, not wanting to go, etc. they can just leave.
misol 07:31 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Kenny:
I have a 2yr old dcb that does this every single time and it is SUPER annoying to have to go find him. Every day he is here I have to physically pick him up and hand him over to the mom who then has to carry him to the car kicking and screaming. BTW, the mom is 9 months pregnant and has no business carrying him!
momofsix 08:36 PM 03-19-2010
My kids just get BAD when their parents come. And instead of just getting the kids OUT of my house--the parents want to talk/try to reason w/ the child...just take him home already! One little girl just started being bad, and her mom was embarrased by her behavior but was handling it really well, but then she said "I think she's so good for you all day, she finally feels free to let go a little when I come" WHAT? I said " I think she's just testing to see who the boss is when we're both around!"
So who is the boss? do we be the bad guy, or let the parents take over? i usually let the parents do it, unless something destructive is happening to my home. Any ideas on this one? I'm not really good at this type of thing in front of parents
[email protected] 04:53 AM 03-20-2010
I point blank say stop, you dont behave that way when Dad isnt here, your not going to do it when he is. Now sit right here while I talk to dad then you can go home. the first few times the kid and parent are kind of dumbfounded,.. but it works. If they didnt trust you to handle things they shouldnt trust you to keep him. I have one boy who will try a new thing every day. I have finally began picking him up,.. and saying right in front of dad "Quinn" you dont act this way here, now hush while I finish talking to dad. then I always look into their eyes and say,.. did you hear me??? ,.. they shake head or whatever,.. and I correct them with ,.. Yes Miss Jill. They repeat Yes Miss Jill,.. and I go on with my conversation. I always give my love and cuddles but they will respect both me and their parents while they are in my home. The first time I could actually feel and see Dads shock,.. but he has began making him sit in a time out or whatever when he acts up towards dad in front of me. I think alot of times they dont want us to know how they really do things. They dont know how to respond in front of us. We are the professionals. And they dont want to look bad.
momma2girls 06:31 AM 03-20-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
My kids just get BAD when their parents come. And instead of just getting the kids OUT of my house--the parents want to talk/try to reason w/ the child...just take him home already! One little girl just started being bad, and her mom was embarrased by her behavior but was handling it really well, but then she said "I think she's so good for you all day, she finally feels free to let go a little when I come" WHAT? I said " I think she's just testing to see who the boss is when we're both around!"
So who is the boss? do we be the bad guy, or let the parents take over? i usually let the parents do it, unless something destructive is happening to my home. Any ideas on this one? I'm not really good at this type of thing in front of parents
Try this, get them dressed or started 5-10 min. before the parents usually pick up. It does work.
MarinaVanessa 06:46 AM 03-20-2010
I think it begins at home. As parents we need to establish and enforce rules from early on. People have sometimes questioned my techniques or thought that they were odd but I do what works for me. My daughter is extremely "rambunctious ". That's the only word I ever use to describe her. Not bad per se but very curious about everything and always wanting to do something (no she she doesn't have a learning dissability or ADHD, I know because I checked because for a while there I thought so too lol). She's always kept me on my toes but I have always stood one step ahead of her.

This whole "running away in the front yard" thing could be very dangerous. I simply made it a game with her. I would ALWAYS hold her hand before stepping outside at any place. If she wasn't holding my hand, I didn't take one step. I don't have "power" of my own and need her hand to give me power. I'd pretend I was lost and needed to find my car. She would hold my hand and "help me" to my car. Sometimes I was an old lady, sometimes I was a lost little girl and my mommy was in my car, sometimes I was blind and couldn't see where I was going. Once we get to the car I'd be a police woman and say (in a deep but funny voice with a mock stern face) "Put your hands on the car. You're too (silly, goofy, cute, smart etc) and I'm going to take you to mommy jail" (mommy jail is a game we play where I catch her in my arms -jail- and give her hugs, kisses & tickles). She puts her hands on the car and doesnt move them. If she takes her hands off the car she doesn't get hugs or kisses. This is especially helpful when I'm at the grocery store and I have groceries or don't have both hands free. She stands by the car (hands on the front passenger door or near the rear right wheel if I have to put something in the trunk) until I get her door unlocked. Then I put her hands behind her and walk her to her carseat and put her in "busted". I use this with all my dc littles if we go somewhere and they love it too.

Parents just need to find something that works and stick to it.

I agree with laundryduchess 100%. Be firm with the child if the parent isn't and you'll show both the child and the parent that those actions are unacceptible. Parent's sometimes are embarrassed when their children behave like this and don't know what to do. You can guide the parent by example. If they aren't embarrassed by their child's behavior maybe they'll be embarrssed when you have to take care of a situation that should have been handled by them. Maybe embarrassment is what they need to nudge them into getting on track. It's not like there aren't endless techniques they could try.
GretasLittleFriends 06:11 AM 03-23-2010
Maybe this isn't the "right" answer, but it works here. We live out in the country and running out in the road isn't a concern with the layout of our driveway and entry door.

However, we have a Collie puppy (outdoor only). He'll be a year old next month. He's already a good 75lbs and is still all skin, bones and fur. He LOVES to play with the kids. I do chain him up near pick-up time as I don't want him meeting or following the parents' cars.

I stand at the back door as the children leave. If they start to run around and play and not listen to their parents I just say "It looks like you want to play. I think I'll let Bert loose so he can play with you." The children know our driveway isn't a play area. If they wander that way Bert will do his best to heard them back towards the play area. He's also a very loud barker. The kids are somewhat intimidated by him. Needless to say, they instantly get into their parents' vehicles.
momma2girls 06:17 AM 03-23-2010
I had a 4 yr. old boy who didn't get a nap that day, because of preschool, was terrible with his Mom(he has done this before, but nothing like this day, OMG!!!) It was horrible, it took 15-20 min. he kept running away from him, I finally got him to stay with her by the door, then he didn't have his bag, threw a fit over this. That am the Mom forgot his bag, but it happen to be in her van. So instead of taking him to the van without his bag. She made his sister go to the van, and get it for him!!! OMG!!!! Then he was terrible putting his coat on, and his shoes. He is throwing a fit, just take him out without them on!!!! I was so mad, when she left. The daycare boy and I had a talk the next day about behaving when his Mom came to pick him up!! It hasn't happened that badly again!!!! WOW!!!!! I would definately put my foot down if this was an everyday occurance. Wow he sure gets ornery even at 4 yr. old with no naps!!!!
Lucy 12:09 AM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I get that here too. Or they hide in the morning when another kid arrives. Now I just say "no hiding" - period. Every once in awhile they'll look out the window in the morning, see that their buddy dc friend is arriving, and I see in their body language they're about to duck and cover somewhere. I immediately say "no hiding", they grumble and it's over.
Lucy 12:19 AM 03-28-2010
I'm the same way. I have a 2.5 yr old boy who is great for me. Mom or Grandma will bring him and say he's been a bear all morning, sorry. He puts on his little show for them, they have a million hugs & kisses and help him find a good toy or book, etc. etc. I keep wishing they'd just leave, because once they do he's fine. He has a great day. They're just prolonging the tantrum that he is putting on for their benefit. So when they pick him up, this boy who has been an angel for me, suddenly runs the opposite way down the hall, laughing and screaming for them to chase him. When they try to put his coat on he's arching his back and trying to get out of their grasp so he can run and scream. They do nothing to try and make him behave. They take him to the car and he wriggles his way away from them and runs - usually across the grass, but one time it was down the street!! Luckily I have a very quiet street, but still. Most time I'm so tempted to just take over and make him behave like he does for me, but I figure they're the parent, and once they come to get him, he's their responsibility. But it's soooo frustrating! Sometimes I'll stand at the door and watch, but usually I just close it and think to myself that he's no longer my responsibility once they show up.
momma2girls 06:06 AM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I'm the same way. I have a 2.5 yr old boy who is great for me. Mom or Grandma will bring him and say he's been a bear all morning, sorry. He puts on his little show for them, they have a million hugs & kisses and help him find a good toy or book, etc. etc. I keep wishing they'd just leave, because once they do he's fine. He has a great day. They're just prolonging the tantrum that he is putting on for their benefit. So when they pick him up, this boy who has been an angel for me, suddenly runs the opposite way down the hall, laughing and screaming for them to chase him. When they try to put his coat on he's arching his back and trying to get out of their grasp so he can run and scream. They do nothing to try and make him behave. They take him to the car and he wriggles his way away from them and runs - usually across the grass, but one time it was down the street!! Luckily I have a very quiet street, but still. Most time I'm so tempted to just take over and make him behave like he does for me, but I figure they're the parent, and once they come to get him, he's their responsibility. But it's soooo frustrating! Sometimes I'll stand at the door and watch, but usually I just close it and think to myself that he's no longer my responsibility once they show up.
Can you get him dressed with shoes on before they come? I know someimtes they come at different times for pick up, you can't always do this, but this idea does work and well.
TGT09 12:23 PM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I get that here too. Or they hide in the morning when another kid arrives. Now I just say "no hiding" - period. Every once in awhile they'll look out the window in the morning, see that their buddy dc friend is arriving, and I see in their body language they're about to duck and cover somewhere. I immediately say "no hiding", they grumble and it's over.
That's a good idea. One of my parents (of the main hider) has started laying down the law about it and making sure he has consequences when he gets home if he does hide/run/misbehave after she gets here. I believe that it's ok since "technically" it's on her time dcb is doing it.
Lucy 09:57 PM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Can you get him dressed with shoes on before they come? I know someimtes they come at different times for pick up, you can't always do this, but this idea does work and well.
Sorry for the delayed response, I just now saw this. Yes, I do get his shoes on and bag packed and ready to go. Most of the time I do put his jacket on, but if it's a cold day and he has a heavier coat, I don't want him sitting in it getting hot if they are 5-10 min later than normal. Believe me, I get as much ready for him as possible - hoping they'll take him and GO! Like I said, he's fine for me. He just knows what he can get away with when it's mom or grandma. They won't be firm with him. I try to tell new people that it will sometimes be hard to leave them in the morning, but the best thing to do is just leave. But there are still those who have to hug and kiss for 10 minutes while the kid is throwing their "don't leave" tantrum. I realize it alleviates mom's guilt, but they have to just trust that the kid is totally FINE once they drive away.
QualiTcare 10:43 PM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
i know a lot of people disagree with this, and i didn't dare mention it when the topic came up in class when i was in school, but sometimes a good old fashioned spanking does wonders! and sometimes not...

i would sit there biting my tongue in school when everyone would talk about how horrible spanking is. and for the most part, i agree - it shouldn't be used as THE method of discipline.

however, my son is one of those kids who would be unbuckled, open the car door, and run into the street before i could put it in park. just the other day i was standing near the door talking to his grandmother, and in a flash...he pushed open the screen door and took off flying toward the car - across the parking lot - without ever pausing to glance for cars. it's a nightmare!

i've talked to him about it until i'm blue in the face - telling him how he could die, blah blah blah. i've spanked him. nothing works. it's not my parenting skills because my daughter was/is an angel and i never had to spank her or even raise my voice. i did nothing differently with him, yet he's a monster.

i know deep down that spanking isn't the best form of discipline, but i also know i got my A** beat a few times and it made an impression (literally and figuratively). i've also told people (since this scenario is the only time i've resorted to spanking) that spankings hurt a lot less than getting ran over by a car. he can recover from a spanking. actually, he laughs during a spanking by me. he can't recover from being killed by a car. i told his dad how big of a problem it was, and he spanked him too (which he didn't find funny) but he continues to do it.

don't blame the parents.
Unregistered 07:03 AM 04-27-2010
While i agree with spanking my own kids even though i have rarely ever had to do it i do think that there are times and some kids that only respond to that form of disipline (along with kids that do not respond to that as well) and believe me i have a little dcg in my care that although she is a handfull for me at times i dont have near the amount of trouble iv seen and heard her giving her parents and many times i have wished i could just tell dcm to give her a good spanking,(i do think this is the only way this dcg will get it as nothing else has worked,for the dcp anyway) this dcg is old enough to know better but acts horribly! And to be honest there have been many times iv thought she needed a spanking but there is nooooooooooooooooo way i would EVER spank a daycare child, not even with the parents permission and yes i have had some tell me to do just that. The child running away is the parents problem but for me until they are off my property i am responsible for them, i have it in my policies that 5 minute drop off and pick ups and no PLAYING with my toys or on my property after pick ups.
Kiddie Care
tenderhearts 08:28 AM 04-27-2010
A couple of my dck have acted out when parents come too, usually as the parent is talking they'll walk back out into the daycare room and start doing ALL the things they arent' suppose to then I have all the kids arguing and being loud, this one particular boy I always have issues with and he is now 5, he is great during the day but as soon as parents come he's different. For instance yesterday he kept pushing the key pad on my front door, I told him to stop doing that it wasn't to play with, he acted like I didn't even say anything and kept doing, I took his hands and removed them from the pad and said I asked you to stop playing with the door, it's not a toy, he abruptly put his hands back up there, all his mom said was, stop, she asked you to stop, but not in a tone like she meant it, just a normal like she didn't know why I had a problem with it, I finally said you need to stop and I turned him towards outside and said have a good evening, well mom forgot her money so when she came back up he ran up there and started pushing them AGAIN, I was so pissed, she said nothing. This child does this all the time, he listens for me during the day and I never have issues with him ever, he is probablly one of the best dck I've ever had, but he does this kind of stuff when his parents come. I literally daily tell him your parent comes you slide your shoes on (he only wears crocs) and you don't ask to color you don't go back out in the daycare room ect, he doesn't do those things but eventually like yesterday he finds something else that I haven't mentioned. So he gets a time out when he gets here today first thing for not obeying me, he knows this and mentioned last night when he was leaving. His parents can't barely get him in the car cuz he's running around, takes mom at least 5 min to get him out of the car in the mornings, they let him run the house. It makes me so mad.
MarinaVanessa 09:25 AM 04-27-2010
I'm starting to have issues with my own five year old now (not about running in the street but other things) and it seems that nothing that I've tried so far has worked. I too have tried the spanking but that didn't make a difference. If it doesn't change the behavior, it isn't working and it's time to try something else.

My next step is to take EVERYTHING away lol. No toys, no tv, no games. Only DC toys and activities. We'll see what happens.
tenderhearts 11:37 AM 04-27-2010
I had a problem with mainly 2 of my dcb getting out of control, whenever I had a parent arrive and not their parent just anyone, so what I did was any time I had to go to the door when a child arrived or left when I saw the parent pull into the driveway I would tell each of the to go sit down quietly until I was done, I had books on hand to give them while I was "occupied" it really worked, I made them do this for a week and then now if it starts I'll warn them that if they do it again then every time a parent comes they'll need to go sit down quietly until I'm done, one of the times I had to bring the child into the adjacent room that I was talking with the parent and have them sit there until I was done. But it worked.
Tags:hiding, running
Reply Up