Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Easy Plant Growing
thetoddlerwhisper 07:45 AM 03-17-2014
easy plants for 2s? im stuck between grass, beans, or a simple flower. this is for our april science so i'm just doing plans. which would you choose and if a flower which one?
Scribbles 07:46 AM 03-17-2014
Sunflowers are our go-to Spring plant. We've done Shasta Daisies too.

That and green beans. They always seem to grow.
Cat Herder 07:54 AM 03-17-2014
Strawberries. Kids love them.

They are perennial, have flowers + fruit, fulfill both the growth cycle and food pyramid themes and the parents love them, too.
thetoddlerwhisper 08:33 AM 03-17-2014
oh and i should add. were going to do these inside for a while. maybe outside eventually but our weather is bipolar this year
sahm1225 11:39 AM 03-17-2014
My dcks love growing beans. It's easy and when they get big, we send them home!
FCCarmyprovider 11:50 AM 03-17-2014
Beans seem to be the easiest to grow, but if I could pick I would go with strawberries so the kids can all enjoy the fruits of their labors without having to cook them afterwards ooh and maybe make some jelly too!
Heidi 12:03 PM 03-17-2014
I have a fun one you can do in addition to the others.

Get some nylon knee-hi's, and put grass seed in the toes. Then, fill the rest of sock with wood shavings and close the end. They should be about the size of a softball or so.

Mold a nose in the middle of the "face", and tie small rubber bands around to hold. Then, let the kids make eyes and mouth from whatever materials you have...buttons, scraps of fabric, etc.

We set ours in the bottoms of 2 liter bottles. Then, water in the bottom until it soaks up through.

The grass will grow "hair" out the top, and the older kids can even give them haircuts. Kind of like home-made Chia pets...

Here is something similar we did, just using 2 liter bottles, without the knee highs. Adapt as you choose.
Attached: kinderhaus kids 005.jpg (185.1 KB) 
melilley 12:09 PM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

Get some nylon knee-hi's, and put grass seed in the toes. Then, fill the rest of sock with wood shavings and close the end. They should be about the size of a softball or so.

Mold a nose in the middle of the "face", and tie small rubber bands around to hold. Then, let the kids make eyes and mouth from whatever materials you have...buttons, scraps of fabric, etc.

We set ours in the bottoms of 2 liter bottles. Then, water in the bottom until it soaks up through.

The grass will grow "hair" out the top, and the older kids can even give them haircuts. Kind of like home-made Chia pets...

Here is something similar we did, just using 2 liter bottles, without the knee highs. Adapt as you choose.
Those are awesome!!!
Scribbles 12:14 PM 03-17-2014

I saw something similar in an older thread but the poster just used nylons and sawdust, I believe.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45093

They were super cute! I would love to make some but would have to collect some 2 liter bottles as we don't drink anything that comes in those bottles.

I asked parents to bring some empty ones if they had them but no one has brought any in yet.
Heidi 12:25 PM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Scribbles:
I saw something similar in an older thread but the poster just used nylons and sawdust, I believe.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45093

They were super cute! I would love to make some but would have to collect some 2 liter bottles as we don't drink anything that comes in those bottles.

I asked parents to bring some empty ones if they had them but no one has brought any in yet.
Gosh, you could really use any kind of cartons. Almond milk containers cut in half, then you can paint them different "skin" colors first (or any colors...purple people?).

The only benefit to the clear bottles is really that you can sort of see the roots grow, but only if you use potting soil. If you use saw dust, they're going to be hard to see.
Scribbles 12:27 PM 03-17-2014
Gosh, you could really use any kind of cartons. Almond milk containers cut in half, then you can paint them different "skin" colors first (or any colors...purple people?).

The only benefit to the clear bottles is really that you can sort of see the roots grow, but only if you use potting soil. If you use saw dust, they're going to be hard to see.
Oh, that's a good idea (about using empty milk cartons)...I do love the clear though. I think it would be fun to see the roots grow.

I'll have to look around and see what type of containers we have...

Thanks for sharing the idea!
Cradle2crayons 05:46 PM 03-17-2014
The ones I use for daycare kids... Are marigolds.... They sprout to three inches tall in just a week indoors as seeds... And you almost can't kill them...

I buy the little square kits with the dried pellets... One for each kid... They plant.. And when they get big enough and it's time to plant outside I send each kit home with the kids for them to plant at home.... They bloom all summer...

Here are some marigolds we planted just 9 days ago for my flower bed in the front yard
Attached: image.jpg (75.8 KB) 
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:19 AM 03-18-2014
The carrot seed-
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5575468&type=3

Jack and the Beanstalk-

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c19641be57
Tags:garden, gardening, gardening - beans
Reply Up