Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Giving Copy of ID Safe or Not
hottie8962 09:22 PM 11-27-2019
I have a question i have been getting recently brandnew family's is if they can take a photo of my id or have a copy.is that ok something u would do or not safe.The first person had my full name from a Facebook ad and had my adress from coming by so i sent a picture but blocked out the id numbers.Second person that came today and asked for a copy i dont have copys so he took a picture of it.I understand they want to know for sure who has there kids but wasnt sure about it.would love your opinions
Michael 10:49 PM 11-27-2019
I wouldn't give a copy of my ID.
Ac114 05:06 AM 11-28-2019
I’ve never had anyone ask for a copy of my ID, and that’s not something I would provide either.
Ariana 05:38 AM 11-28-2019
The only thing they would need my ID for would be a criminal background check. I would ask them what they needed my ID for and then tell them that I will get the background check for them (if you don’t already have it and if that is what they needed it for) but that I do not give out my ID to strangers.

Just like they don’t know who has their kids, you don’t know them either! Keep your information safe.
Blackcat31 04:30 PM 11-28-2019
Are you licensed? If so they need only have a copy of your license or your license number.
Cat Herder 11:06 AM 12-02-2019
I have never been asked for my ID, how odd. There is not a chance I'd give it, either. My license is posted and available online at the State website along with all of the inspection reports.

Can you give them a link to your state listing, instead?
DaveA 11:49 AM 12-02-2019
No way am I giving a client a copy or pic of my ID. Any information they need is on my license, which is publicly displayed and a matter of public record.
Baby Beluga 01:34 PM 12-02-2019
I am curious, and it's likely due to my lack of knowledge on this subject - please tell me your thoughts.

When you test drive a car, you have to leave your DL/ID.
When you tour an apartment complex, you have to leave your DL/ID.

Why do most people do those willingly, but not give a copy to a parent?
Cat Herder 01:47 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I am curious, and it's likely due to my lack of knowledge on this subject - please tell me your thoughts.

The heightened risk of identity theft. Giving birth/impregnating someone does not make one a trustworthy person.

I also have never been asked to leave my license with a car dealership or apartment complex, only my car keys. Why would anyone drive willingly without their license on them?
Snowmom 02:50 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

15 years ago, I worked as a leasing agent for an apartment complex. We did this (left the ID of the person getting a tour in our locked office when we left). It was because if something happened to us and we didn't return, this is the person we were last with. It was a security measure for us. But honestly, it was pointless. ID;s are stolen all the time. Plus, if someone really wants to hurt you, they will with or without their ID.
We just bought a car last year. They copied our DL before the test drive.

So ultimately, I get what you're saying.
But I still wouldn't do it. All daycare information is already public. If they wanted to check my state ID with a brief hand-hand inspection, no problem.
happymom 02:51 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I also have never been asked to leave my license with a car dealership or apartment complex, only my car keys. Why would anyone drive willingly without their license on them?
Generally they take a copy before you drive away. In case you steal their car, they can file a police report and know who you are.

We are required to take a copy of DL every time someone finances a vehicle in my line of work. I've never had someone question it.
Baby Beluga 02:51 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The heightened risk of identity theft. Giving birth/impregnating someone does not make one a trustworthy person.

Touche

That is interesting regarding the DL. Whenever I have been car shopping they always take a copy of my DL before test driving. Now that I type that out that may be to verify that the driver is actually licensed duh.

I used to be a leasing agent and we always had to take a prospective resident's DL/ID and hold it in the office while we were touring with them. Anytime I was the prospective resident at different communities I also had to leave mine. Maybe it's a regional thing.

FWIW: I am certainly not judging anyone for not wanting to give a parent a copy of their DL. I wouldn't want to either. Just wondering why it's okay in some situations but not in others.
Baby Beluga 02:53 PM 12-02-2019
Funny - all 3 of us posted within a minute of one another.

It makes sense. I was just curious
Cat Herder 02:55 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by happymom:
Generally they take a copy before you drive away. In case you steal their car, they can file a police report and know who you are.

We are required to take a copy of DL every time someone finances a vehicle in my line of work. I've never had someone question it.
Where I live they won't allow anyone to test drive without the salesman going with. Credit checks for financing I fully get.

A potential daycare client wanting a copy of my license, nope. Not happening. I'm a cops daughter.
Tags:personal information, personal safety
Reply Up