Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>18 Month Old Ripping Books
maelb05 02:30 PM 11-20-2019
How do I get a child to stop ripping books? I have a bookcase full of books, with both soft and hard cover. Anytime this child takes out a book, he starts ripping it up. I do my best to steer him away from the books if I notice him heading that way. Sometimes though, when I get distracted with other children, he gets a hold of one and immediately starts ripping. I have never had a child do this before, so looking for some ideas on how to stop it other than removing all the soft cover books from the shelf.
Baby Beluga 02:53 PM 11-20-2019
Is he ripping pages apart from the binding or is he picking at the cardboard? Book tape might help. Or strong packaging tape.

Otherwise, these books are great: https://www.amazon.com/Indestructibl...4290370&sr=8-1
Ariana 05:02 AM 11-21-2019
Redirection and replace the paper book with a board book. I also try and keep the paper books higher on the bookshelf. Another thing I do is sit with the child on my lap and show them how to turn paper pages and repeat that you need to be gentle with books. I also put my good books away and bought some cheap dollar store ones until they can be more gentle.

I have had the same books for years and just in the last year this new group is destroying my books, even the board books are not safe. They stand on them, try and rip flaps off etc. I think it is lack of experience with books in general because my one family who I know reads a lot to their kids are fine with them. The 12 month old can sit and look through a paper book no problem but my 20 month old cannot.
LittleExplorers 06:56 AM 11-21-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Is he ripping pages apart from the binding or is he picking at the cardboard? Book tape might help. Or strong packaging tape.

Otherwise, these books are great: https://www.amazon.com/Indestructibl...4290370&sr=8-1

These look awesome and affordable too!
Ariana 07:30 AM 11-21-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
These look awesome and affordable too!
Just my opinion but these are not going to teach a child how to properly interact with books. I think these things are part of the problem! Don’t shoot me
flying_babyb 05:13 PM 11-22-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Just my opinion but these are not going to teach a child how to properly interact with books. I think these things are part of the problem! Don’t shoot me
They could, if the provider sits down and shows the child the correct way to use books
Tags:18 month old, book damage
Reply Up