Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Flax Oil
Baby Beluga 11:47 AM 03-09-2020
I feel silly asking this question, but I am not sure. Is flax oil considered a food or supplement?

I put flax oil in the smoothies I make for my own family and considered adding it to the smoothies I make for DCK's...but questioned myself on whether it is a food (that does not need special permission to give) or if it is a supplement (that would need special permission to give.)

Help please?

FWIW: not on the food program.
Cat Herder 12:06 PM 03-09-2020
I think it would be considered a supplement. I just add the seeds to oatmeal, bread and sauces.

I don't think you'd need permission any more than you would for olive oil, though.
Baby Beluga 12:37 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I think it would be considered a supplement. I just add the seeds to oatmeal, bread and sauces.

I don't think you'd need permission any more than you would for olive oil, though.

Thank you, CH!

I used to do flax meal in oatmeal for breakfast, but not everyone is here for breakfast, and of those who are, not all eat it. However, they gobble smoothies like it is no one's business So I thought maybe that would be a better vehicle for this group.

Can I ask what sauces you add the seeds to? I never thought about doing it that way, but I like the idea.
Cat Herder 12:52 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Thank you, CH!

I used to do flax meal in oatmeal for breakfast, but not everyone is here for breakfast, and of those who are, not all eat it. However, they gobble smoothies like it is no one's business So I thought maybe that would be a better vehicle for this group.

Can I ask what sauces you add the seeds to? I never thought about doing it that way, but I like the idea.
Beef spaghetti sauce, black bean salsa, brown gravy, cheese sauces, etc. Just toss them into a coffee grinder, first. They make a great thickener and can even be added to smoothies that way.
topazann 03:08 PM 03-09-2020
I use a little along with other oils or just a small amount in many recipes. I eat a tablespoon or two of chia seeds every day - usually in my morning oatmeal. Lots of good omega-3s.
Baby Beluga 10:05 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Beef spaghetti sauce, black bean salsa, brown gravy, cheese sauces, etc. Just toss them into a coffee grinder, first. They make a great thickener and can even be added to smoothies that way.
This is genius. Thank you! Especially the cheese sauce. I make a sauce with fake vegan cheese, so there is no fat or protein in it. I am forever trying to find ways to add healthy fats I to those types of dishes and I just never put two and two together.
Cat Herder 04:28 AM 03-10-2020
Getting the omega-3's in is important to me for neuro. Chia seed has more than flax as well as calcium and manganese for bones. I prefer the nutty flavor of flax but often mix the two for a nutritional bump to the pasta and bread heavy dishes the kids will eat.

Topazann is right, chia is a great choice. It just has a taste that I need to mask a bit more.
Baby Beluga 08:10 AM 03-10-2020
Thank you both!
Tags:chia, flax oil, supplemental nutrition
Reply Up