Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Toddlers During Circle Time
VanessaEO 12:30 PM 12-16-2010
I have an in home daycare with three toddlers and 6 older kids (3.5+). I've been doing circle time with the older kids, but I need some ideas for merging the younger kids into our circle time.

Our circle time includes child sharing, songs, reading a book or two and then going to the kitchen table for an art project or coloring.

Right now, I just can't imagine my 2 year old boys sitting still for that 10-15 minutes.
AmandasFCC 12:34 PM 12-16-2010
Mine do. They start participating in circle time much earlier than 2 actually lol. If they have trouble, give them a stuffy or something to hold on to (a fidget toy) and keep it interesting. We sing songs, then we all count the days together, sing a days of the week song, read a story, and we're done. The toddlers love doing the actions (at least mine do) and picking a story to read.
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 12-16-2010
One of the first things I learned about circle time is that you invite the kids to join but never make them. It is suppose to be conducted in a manner that entices the kids to want to join the group but should never be something that all the kids have to participate in. If the subject or conversation is interesting enough they will come, if not they won't care and that is suppose to fine as well. I also agree, that toddlers do not have the capabilities to sit for that long and probably don't really care that we are even doing circle time because they would much rather play. I used to spend alot of time getting everyone to come sit down, time spacing them out, introducing a subject, reminding them not to touch each other, pay attention, listen and not talk while I am etc etc etc......now I sit and start circle even if only one kid is involved and sooner or later they all come over and join in and if they don't...oh well. It is much simpler for them and or me.
Unregistered 02:08 PM 12-16-2010
I'm a home daycare provider but before that, I worked as a lead teacher in a toddler class at a center. I used to get really frustrated when the toddlers wouldn't sit still for more than a couple minutes at a time and then they were up and moving. Sometimes I wasn;t even able to complete one book before they got distracted. I learned that the books need to be short and entertaining or else the toddlers would get bored fast. I also learned that songs that included movement were a definite must for circle time. Above all, I learned that the best way to have a productive circle time is to not force any of the kids to sit and participate, but instead to let them observe and join in when they see how much fun everyone else is having. I would say that 9 times out of 10, kids will make the choice to be a part of circle time.
WImom 06:00 PM 12-16-2010
I have everyone participate. I agree with the books. Make them short. I have to do that at nap time too or they dont' stay on their nap mats. I like the idea about the figet toy. I might start letting them pick an animal out of the reading area to join us. Maybe they will sit still longer.
boysx5 03:01 AM 12-17-2010
most days mine will sit but somedays we only last 10 mins. I do what they can handle this time of the year I think they are just so excited and we have been stuck inside that they need to get the energy out and sitting too long is not a good thing. I have them start before two as well it doesn't always go well but we make it work
QualiTcare 09:07 PM 12-17-2010
where people mess up during circle time is having the idea that the kids have to sit still and be quiet during a story. they should be able to point, ask questions, join in, etc. i realize you have to keep some distance and not let it turn into a free for all, but stopping and asking questions is a good way to let them get out what they're dying to say. i've also seen people trying to read stories that are nowhere near appropriate for the age group they're reading to aka too long.

i worked in a center before in a class with all 2 year olds. i was part time and it was painful for me watching the lead teacher try to do circle time as i cleaned up after lunch. she had something to do one day and asked me to do it. every day after that, she was doing what i did - because it worked. first, i had a choice of books and let them choose which one they wanted. after i read it, i sang a couple of songs that included motions. their favorite was this one that they continued to use every day and never got tired of:

you pick a child (every child ends up being picked) and say, "jill, what's your favorite color?" she says, "pink"

"i wiiiish i had a little PINK box i could put my JILL in! i'd take her out and MWAH, MWAH, MWAH (doing the kissy sounds) and put her back again!" they looooved it and every kid would join in and sing the child's name and they thought they were superstars. that was pretty much it - a short story they participated in and a couple of songs - the end. that's all they can handle at 2.
Tags:circle time
Reply Up