Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Ok For Me To Term And Give Reason?
jokalima 11:29 AM 05-14-2013
I have this family that is being a little hard to deal with lately in the sense of $$$. I talked about their 200 for 3 kids offer in another thread. Well, they want to know what is going to happen and what I can offer them, of course expecting something very low. Today I got a call from a prospective client for 6 weeks from now and also today is the day I am giving them my answer about what I will charge them ( the current family ), my question is: Is it OK for me to tell them that if they don't accept my rates I need them to find alternate care for their children by the end of next month? And tell them why? I ask because I know they will ask why I want to term them before the actual day the want to leave that is ending the summer and the only true reason is because I want/need to have a secure income. Should I be honest with them about it, if not how can I explain the termination?

Thanks
CedarCreek 11:33 AM 05-14-2013
That is an absolutely sound reason to term!

I would say just that. "My rates are non negotiable. If you need a lower rate, I encourage you to begin your search for a new provider, this will serve as two weeks notice of termination of care."

Or however long you want to give them.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by jokalima:
I have this family that is being a little hard to deal with lately in the sense of $$$. I talked about their 200 for 3 kids offer in another thread. Well, they want to know what is going to happen and what I can offer them, of course expecting something very low. Today I got a call from a prospective client for 6 weeks from now and also today is the day I am giving them my answer about what I will charge them ( the current family ), my question is: Is it OK for me to tell them that if they don't accept my rates I need them to find alternate care for their children by the end of next month? And tell them why? I ask because I know they will ask why I want to term them before the actual day the want to leave that is ending the summer and the only true reason is because I want/need to have a secure income. Should I be honest with them about it, if not how can I explain the termination?

Thanks
That is absolutely ok. If they don't want to pay your rates, they are more or less terming themselves.

If you want to replace them with another family that is a better fit, term them now (giving whatever notice period you have in your handbook) and tell them that it is a business decision and that you feel they are no longer a good fit for your program.

I surely wouldn't mess with trying to convince someone why you have the rates you do and why they HAVE to pay that rate.
JoseyJo 11:42 AM 05-14-2013
Is it OK for me to tell them that if they don't accept my rates I need them to find alternate care for their children by the end of next month? And tell them why? I ask because I know they will ask why I want to term them before the actual day the want to leave that is ending the summer and the only true reason is because I want/need to have a secure income. Should I be honest with them about it, if not how can I explain the termination?

Thanks
I would absolutely tell them the rates are non-negotiable. The only problem is if you tell them you have another family interested they may say they accept the rates, wait for you to tell the other family no, then tell you they don't accept the rates in hopes that you will lower them if you don't have a family waiting in the wings.

I would tell them the rates, that they are non negotiable, and let them know you need to know if they accept them. If they don't accept THEN I would give the term date and explain about the family you have waiting. I wouldn't allow them to go back and say never mind, we do accept after they know you have a family waiting.
jokalima 02:37 PM 05-14-2013
Thanks a lot ladies! It does help a lot to read what you have to say... So I was scared, because I am afraid of loosing the income but after that prospective family that called in the am, a few hours ago another family called and even though I don't know if I will get them or not, it does give me hope that I will fill my spaces in my DC so That have me a boost and I answered the current family that I will charge them full rate w/ out any special discounts and said that my rates are non-negotiable. Let's see what happens
jokalima 03:16 PM 05-14-2013
And nope, already got the answered, made me feel terrible, guilty and that is my fault that they can't afford childcare.
AmyKidsCo 07:57 PM 05-14-2013
Don't let them make you feel guilty! $200 for 3 children is dirt cheap in this area - most group centers charge $200 for 1 infant.

Can you get a list of average rates from your Resource and Referral agency to see what other in-home and group programs charge? I'll bet there aren't many that would take 3 children for $200.
canadiancare 05:51 AM 05-15-2013
I am having anxiety because I am getting ready to term a child for no other reason but money and stability.

He is a part-timer who shares a spot to make it full-time. The girl he shares with goes to school in September. He goes the following year. One of my former clients will go back from mat leave and wants the spot full-time.

This would mean that the following school year I would only have 2 spots to fill instead of 3 and it would give me full-time income with a family I had already gone from infant to school with their firstborn.

I just have to decide how I want to say it. Husband is in hr and he says "you don't give a reason you just say - as of September 1st you will no longer have a spot" no reasons or excuses that they can try to negotiate with.
jokalima 06:37 AM 05-15-2013
It is difficult, but it needs to be done.

After yesterday, I have to admit, I felt so stressed during the night and today in the morning before drop off I was a mess. But Mom dropped children today and told me that they were going to be here for a couple more weeks and then find another place. So they made that part easy. Good thing is I have prospective clients and I feel better because of that, but it will be challenging, I have had this group of kids for more than 2 yrs now, this specific family for one year and all are leaving because of school and diff reasons, so I feel anxious getting new kids, specially babies, so please ladies keep me in your thoughts and prayers
Play Care 06:42 AM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I am having anxiety because I am getting ready to term a child for no other reason but money and stability.

He is a part-timer who shares a spot to make it full-time. The girl he shares with goes to school in September. He goes the following year. One of my former clients will go back from mat leave and wants the spot full-time.

This would mean that the following school year I would only have 2 spots to fill instead of 3 and it would give me full-time income with a family I had already gone from infant to school with their firstborn.

I just have to decide how I want to say it. Husband is in hr and he says "you don't give a reason you just say - as of September 1st you will no longer have a spot" no reasons or excuses that they can try to negotiate with.
I agree with this. Often we feel we have to provide an excuse or they will be "mad" at us. This backfires because then they think they can negotiate. Or we "fib" to spare feelings and it comes back to bite us. The thing is, I can't control someone else's feelings, and I tend to get annoyed when I work sooo hard to soften the blow only to have them be pissy anyway Lesson learned - business is business and so long as I behave in a professional manner I can hold my head high regardless of their feelings.
VTMom 06:44 AM 05-15-2013
It is difficult, but it needs to be done.

After yesterday, I have to admit, I felt so stressed during the night and today in the morning before drop off I was a mess. But Mom dropped children today and told me that they were going to be here for a couple more weeks and then find another place. So they made that part easy. Good thing is I have prospective clients and I feel better because of that, but it will be challenging, I have had this group of kids for more than 2 yrs now, this specific family for one year and all are leaving because of school and diff reasons, so I feel anxious getting new kids, specially babies, so please ladies keep me in your thoughts and prayers
Just my opinion... but I think you should write something up indicating the end date. "A couple weeks" sometimes has the tendency to drag on. That way you have a definite end, and a potential start for new families.

I'm glad things worked out. I love when that happens!
Reply Up