Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Halloween
MissAnn 04:11 PM 10-30-2012
Feeling like I didn't do enough this year. Sending home no candy or treat bags. We did carve a pumpkin (kids traced out where to cut, got the guts out and separated the seeds).....we are going to make pumpkin pudding tomorrow out of another pumpkin and roast seeds. We had 2 dress up days to include all part time kids. We've drawn pictures and read books...but that's about it. Wondering if parents will feel like I should have done more? At least I didnt' ask them to bring in candy!
littlemissmuffet 04:46 PM 10-30-2012
Sounds like plenty to me! I am beginning to phase out doing Holiday-themed events, crafts and gifts at my daycare next year... I feel these kinds of things should be more family-oriented and done at home.
Don't feel bad at all!
EchoMom 04:56 PM 10-30-2012
Sounds like plenty, what more could you have done?
countrymom 06:31 AM 10-31-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Sounds like plenty to me! I am beginning to phase out doing Holiday-themed events, crafts and gifts at my daycare next year... I feel these kinds of things should be more family-oriented and done at home.
Don't feel bad at all!
I was thinking the same thing.
littlemissmuffet 06:35 AM 10-31-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I was thinking the same thing.
I just don't feel it's worth it anymore - I end up putting in so much time and effort for nothing... nevermind the parents not caring, even the kids don't seem to care anymore. It's almost like they EXPECT it.

We will still do crafts and bake and send home a gift when a family leaves... but I'm not doing anything holiday or birthday related anymore after this year.
JennyBear 06:53 AM 10-31-2012
We just did a bunch of crafts this year. I'm not sending home any treats or anything (they will get enough, lol)
I have a new kid that's been a complete nightmare so I haven't been so fun and creative lately
Provider_Manda 07:00 AM 10-31-2012
You have done a lot more than me !! We made paper pumpkins, watched a few halloween cartoons (age appropriate) and colored some halloween pictures..which is what we will do today.

I done no candy, didn't really decorate for halloween, or anything like that
I agree with the above posters, a lot of these things should be done at home for family time !
SilverSabre25 07:08 AM 10-31-2012
that's more than I do...I'm not scroogey about holidays, really, but I have a hard time doing much with my group because they just don't care and it turns sour when i try to do special things. I feel bad saying that, but take yesterday--i set out Halloween stickers (sorted into identical piles because of the kids I have), glue/scissors/paper for each kid (no sharing needed), and crayons. They went at it. Two kids were actually creative and used the materials. One stuck the stickers to a paper, the cut the paper up (stickers and all), threw it away, and asked for more "because I accidentally threw mine away and want something to show mommy and daddy." no, not happening. I fished his pieces out of the trash and offered a separate bag to take them home in. He was NOT happy.

Later today we're making Monster Slime and I might send some home with each of my big kids.
AnythingsPossible 07:09 AM 10-31-2012
I didn't do alot. We do pajama day on Halloween, I bought them all a book from scholastic, they will trick or treat my house this evening, so they will get a treat then. We did some pumpkin activities yesterday and we will do a counting game with the pumpkin seeds today. The only "fun" thing we may do today is use toilet paper and turn each other into mummy's.
Countrygal 07:42 AM 10-31-2012
I'm so glad to "hear" all of this! I haven't done much this year, either. I'm not big on Halloween myself and don't really push it, but we did do some crafts, a work unit on Pumpkins and roasted pumpkin seeds. I thought I'd have a small scavenger hunt today with a special "snack" at the end.

Other than that, I wasn't doing anything much and I felt like scrooge as well.... You guys made me feel better!
Tags:halloween
Reply Up