Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Naps, 2 Screamers
jojosmommy 07:14 AM 09-24-2012
Having nap issues with my two toddlers. My own takes one really long am nap 9-11 or so but wont nap in the pm then. She is 11 months. I love the am break but dont want her so grumpy at 5 when she is over tired from no pm nap. Should I wake her? Pull am nap all together? Ideas?

My other issue, dck 15 months has been "talking/screaming" ALL nap, both am and pm nap. Used to sleep 45 min am and 2-3 hrs pm. All last week she didnt nap AT ALL. Not one minute. Mom said she didnt nap all weekend either despite her following the usual routines. Wtd?

She is bothering everyone else, plus she is over tired. She is in a seperate area of a big room. I dont have an entire seperate room for her.
rhymia1 07:25 AM 09-24-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Having nap issues with my two toddlers. My own takes one really long am nap 9-11 or so but wont nap in the pm then. She is 11 months. I love the am break but dont want her so grumpy at 5 when she is over tired from no pm nap. Should I wake her? Pull am nap all together? Ideas?

My other issue, dck 15 months has been "talking/screaming" ALL nap, both am and pm nap. Used to sleep 45 min am and 2-3 hrs pm. All last week she didnt nap AT ALL. Not one minute. Mom said she didnt nap all weekend either despite her following the usual routines. Wtd?

She is bothering everyone else, plus she is over tired. She is in a seperate area of a big room. I dont have an entire seperate room for her.
I would make the AM nap shorter, and see if that helps your child. I do think the PM nap is more important for little ones, because it is such a long stretch from 11-7 without any rest.

I would cut out the AM nap for your other dc kid, but maybe put her PM nap earlier if you can? The only thing I can think is she is so overtired that she is having an issue sleeping. She may be cutting 2 yr molars which can cause some pain, especially while laying down. Can you give an OTC legally? I can't, but used to have a mom come in and dose her child before nap. Worked like a charm Good luck!
seebachers 08:20 AM 09-24-2012
put both of them down for a short morning nap 30 minutes, wake them up and play hard til lunch. You should find them both napping long afternoon naps.
jojosmommy 12:08 PM 09-24-2012
Today my dd slept 1 hour and I woke her. She is taking a nap now after a little CIO. She is a terrible sleeper so some CIO might be a necessity for her.

The dck refused am nap. At PM nap, I put her down first, alone. 30 min later she was still singing/talking/screaming "lalala" to her self. I let the other kids go down for a nap then, they were tired. She continued for 30 more minutes. Fell asleep thank god. I hope its teeth or something. Mom and I both agree she needs a nap but what do you do when they bla bla bla so long and loud others are mad/crying b/c they can't sleep. ?????????

I have a tiny one who comes just at nap time so I can't sit next to her crib for unlimited time to get her to fall asleep. She was a great sleeper until about 2 weeks ago.
cheerfuldom 02:47 PM 09-24-2012
I would start transitioning both to one pm nap. Keep them on the same routine. Start pushing your own childs nap by 15 minutes each day, put them down at the same time. So the first day, they both go down at 9:15, next day 9:30. I think they both should be able to make it till at least 11 but I would keep going and see if i can get it to 12.
Heidi 12:22 PM 09-25-2012
new dcg is 11 months old, and mom rocks/bottle feeds her to sleep.

Nap time today was NOT pretty. She intermittently slept/cried/sang/fussed/screamed. Now she's sleeping again. sigh....

I tried going in to comfort her...ah, no...that just made her start all over. I guess 11 months is too old for the "gentle" form of sleep training. It's going to have to be CIO I guess.

Gosh, I hate having to be the bad guy! But, better now than in 6 months when she can climb out.
Tags:napping issues, naps, naptime - screamer, screamer
Reply Up