Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For those of you that completed a degree
cherryhill 02:08 PM 05-08-2012
Just wondering if any of you ladies pursued a degree in education while doing home daycare how did you do your student teaching? I am on track to start my student teaching in January and will probably have to close for the 16 weeks with no pay and start over when finished. I have thought about having a full time assistant come in but not sure how comfortable I am with that.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this and how?

thanks
Blackcat31 02:27 PM 05-08-2012
I did my student teaching through our Early Childhood program and most of their classes were in the evenings so I completley lucked out there. I was worried about having to close or get an assistant too.

Check with your local ECE and see if they have anything your school will approve.
Beach Baby 04:23 PM 05-08-2012
I am almost finished with my Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education. I am in an online program that does not include student teaching, therefore, it does not lead to certification. I can enter into an internship program at a local college and do my student teaching through them if I wish to become certified to teach. I'm not quite ready to give up the home daycare and leave my daughter to work outside the home just yet, so my plan is to take the Praxis now and do my student teaching through the internship program in a few years. What are you planning to do once you graduate? Will you still have your daycare?
dave4him 04:28 PM 05-08-2012
I have a degree but its not education. Im working on going back this winter to get a AA which i can transfer to get a BA, its a process but i do want to teach full time someday
Crystal 05:01 PM 05-08-2012
If you are attending any of the California community colleges, you are only required to complete 3.15 hours of practicum, 2 days per week for the semester. Is it possible for you to hire an aide to cover those hours for you?

I completed mine in my program. I was required to submit photographs of my program and had to have a person with a master Teacher Permit act as my "supervisor" Fortunately, at the time, I was involved in the preschool bridging model and they sent a teacher to my program two days per week, so I had that covered.

What college are you attending? I am a Mentor for the California Early Childhood Mentor Program, and students complete their lab/practicum hours in my program.....I may be able to find some resources to help you out with this.
cherryhill 08:26 AM 05-09-2012
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I currently attend GCU for a BA in Elemetary Education with an emphasis in Early childhood education. I need to complete 20 ECU to fulfill my degree and have been taking those courses at my local Community College. The practicum at GCU usually requires about 20 hours per class. I wish I could do my student teaching at night but it has to be at an Elementary school since I will be able to teach K-8.

Crystal- I would be interested in any info you have I still have a few more units of ECU to complete.

Thanks for the replies.
Reply Up