Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trial Period/ Holding Fee/ Deposit
Sprouts 04:16 PM 08-14-2012
I would like to know how others handle and word trial periods in their contract...

currently I require a one week non refundable holding fee that goes toward child's last week in care.

I also mention a two week trial period where the provider or parent can cancel during anytime ....

so what do others do in terms of this?

i require parent pays the friday in advanced, so say they pay the first friday, the child starts monday and they decide to cancel tuesday..would u refund the rest of the week? Would you consider this the child's "last week in child care" and keep the difference? How would you word this in the contract so there is no confusion....??

pretty much explain that the holding fee is to hold and gaurantee the child's spot. Before I had this deposit refundable if they decided to change their mind during the two weeks after deposit is given...but now its just non refundable because I take a lot of my personal time preparing for a new child to enter my program....
EchoMom 05:03 PM 08-14-2012
I ran into this same problem and decided I just wanted to get rid of the trial period altogether because I didn't want to have to give back the non-refundable deposit after I'd held a spot for someone. I realized the trial period wasn't necessary, I think anybody can make it through one week notice. That's what I decided to avoid the problem altogether.
Nickel 05:08 PM 08-14-2012
I do a two week deposit and the deposit is refundable if they cancel during the first two weeks. I know a lot of people also do a nonrefundable deposit. I would also give them back the days they did not use, but I'm new and just starting out In a year or two it will probably all be nonrefunable! LOL
daycarediva 05:08 PM 08-14-2012
I do have a trial. No deposit (I won't hold a spot unless they want to pay for the spot until they need it). I also get paid in advance/Friday for the following week. What I have done is written up a little 'happy with care after trial period and agree to all of the contracts & policies type paragraph' (it's on the very end of my contract), on the second Friday/last day of the two week trial I ask if they are going to stay with me, and have them sign stating as such. After that, I accept payment for the third week and we are both in agreement both written and verbal that the trial period is over and two weeks written notice would now be required/need to be paid to terminate the contract.
Sprouts 12:50 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
I ran into this same problem and decided I just wanted to get rid of the trial period altogether because I didn't want to have to give back the non-refundable deposit after I'd held a spot for someone. I realized the trial period wasn't necessary, I think anybody can make it through one week notice. That's what I decided to avoid the problem altogether.
so is your deposit for the last week or 2 weeks? Or just holding spot deposit?
Crazy8 04:30 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
I just did the same thing when I reworked my contract about a month ago! For 10 years I had the trial period in there but don't think I ever used it. I always give the benefit of the doubt that a child will adjust and I wouldn't "quit" on them in the first 2 weeks so I figured the trial period was really just for the parents, not for me so I took it out. I have NEVER been in a situation where I need to refund money because my contract just doesn't have any instances where I would need to, and I like it that way!
daycarechick 12:47 PM 07-23-2014
TRIAL & TERMINATION: The first 2 weeks of Care are a no-fault trial period to work out unexpected kinks & ensure an all-around good fit however no refunds or credit for unused days will be given. After the trial period, 2 weeks’ advance notice shall be required prior to terminating Care, at which time your last 2-weeks payment and any other outstanding fee will be due whether your child attends the 2 weeks or not. Term notices will not be accepted during your or my vacation time. Subsidies: this may be out of your pocket, see your case worker before quitting Care.
* Provider Dismissal: If for some reason I cannot continue to Care for your child, I will give you two weeks’ notice and credit your holding fee to the 2nd week (no credit if you decide to leave early) -- this credit is a courtesy only & will not be offered for any other reason. If an emergency prevents my giving full notice, I will prorate the remaining days. NOTE: I reserve the right to terminate Care without notice and without hold fee credit ‘for cause’ such as but not limited to: Breach of Contract, Failure to pay as agreed, Failure to comply with Handbook policies, Behavior/Discipline/Zero-Tolerance, etc.
Tags:deposits, holding fee, holding fees, trial period
Reply Up