Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: How many weeks per year are you paid for child care?
52 out of 52 weeks (or every month, same amount with paid vacations/holidays/etc)) 11 28.95%
51 weeks (one week is unpaid for _________ reason) 8 21.05%
50 weeks (two weeks are unpaid for __________ reason) 6 15.79%
49 weeks (three weeks are unpaid for __________ reason) 1 2.63%
48 weeks (four weeks are unpaid for __________ reason) 2 5.26%
Only when school is in session (parents are not required to pay for school holidays) 3 7.89%
Only when children are in attendance 4 10.53%
Other (please explain) 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Poll: Vacation/Holidays/Sick Days
spud912 07:18 AM 10-07-2013
Hi All,

I just wanted to see what everyone does regarding time "off" and how many weeks per year everyone charges. I set up the poll to read how many weeks per year you charge and was wondering if you could break that down to what you charge for or not.

For example, I charge for about 48 out of the 52 weeks. Those 48 weeks include 10 paid holidays. The other 4 weeks include an option for the parents to use up to 2 weeks per year unpaid for a vacation (where their child is not in attendance) and up to 2 weeks off per year (unpaid) for my vacation.

I was thinking of changing this to 50 out of the 52 weeks because a month unpaid every year is killing me.
LaLa1923 07:21 AM 10-07-2013
I get paid for 52 weeks a year!

I take all Federal Holidays, and the day after Thanksgiving/Christmas.

I also get 2 weeks of paid vacation, I also have 7 personal days but I haven't had to use them.
littlemissmuffet 07:24 AM 10-07-2013
I get paid monthly, and I'm paid the same amount every month regardless of closures.

I am closed for 10 PAID vacation days, 5 PAID sick/personal days and 10-12 PAID stat holidays per year.
I do not offer parents unpaid vacation or illness time for their children.
blandino 07:26 AM 10-07-2013
We have 5 personal days in our contract that are paid. We close for all major holidays and Thanksgiving (th & fr). We usually use our 5 personal days for the days in between christmas and new years, so that we have a long stretch of time off.

Since all holidays and vacation is paid, tuition is the same all 52 weeks of the year.
momofboys 07:50 AM 10-07-2013
I voted Other as there was no spot for school-year who pays for holidays/breaks. I do mostly school-year care; however, parents still pay for their spot even if there is a holiday/school break. They don't pay over the summer - I like having summers OFF! So I do get paid about 42 weeks/year :-)
mamac 08:27 AM 10-07-2013
I get paid for 51 weeks which includes (for me) 2 weeks paid vacation, 12 paid holidays, 2 early close days and 5 paid sick/personal days. I give each full time client 5 "free" days that can be used individually or together after 6 months of enrollment. Part timers get 3 days.
Cradle2crayons 08:33 AM 10-07-2013
I get paid 52 weeks a year. I only take TWO paid holidays a year. I haven't taken an illness day in years, but if I do, that's paid also.

I don't offer parents any vacation time, at least not paid vacation. They are welcome to take it anytime they want though
butterfly 08:36 AM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I voted Other as there was no spot for school-year who pays for holidays/breaks. I do mostly school-year care; however, parents still pay for their spot even if there is a holiday/school break. They don't pay over the summer - I like having summers OFF! So I do get paid about 42 weeks/year :-)
me too. I also don't charge for Christmas break, but all other school holidays/breaks are paid.
SilverSabre25 08:38 AM 10-07-2013
I get paid about 50 weeks/year. I take 5 unpaid days off each year (as well as 5 paid, and holidays). And after a family has been with me for a full year, they get one week off where they do not have to pay me. This has to be taken consecutively, I don't provide care, and they have to give me at least two week's notice.
itlw8 08:45 AM 10-07-2013
They pay me for every week of the year. including their vacations my one week of vacation and all state holidays which is 13 days all paid
Sunshine75 09:06 AM 10-07-2013
Neat to see how we have all organized our years differently. I get paid 51 weeks a year. My families get one week vacation free which allows me to have an extra week of vacation a year. I take between Christmas and New Years off unpaid and then take 2 other week long vacations paid. My parents save their one week they don't have to pay me for the extra week above the 2 that I take off for sub care. I am paid for all holidays including Christmas and New Years and President's day which my husband has off. Why do I do it this way? Because my husband gets 6 WEEKS of paid vacation a year and as it is he takes three weeks off without me! But, this beats my last position as a nanny. Worked for a company that gave no holiday pay and no sick pay! Blah, no thanks!
jenn 09:11 AM 10-07-2013
*Each family gets 2 weeks to use as they want (illness, vacation,...).
*They do not pay for holidays that I am closed (New Years, 4th of July, Labor day, Memorial day, Thanksgiving, Christmas,...). This year I am taking off 9 days around Christmas/New Years. Last year I only took the actual days the holidays fell on. So, this amount varies from year to year.
*They do not pay for days that I am closed (illness, appointments, snow days...maybe 4-5 days per year).

So, this year would be around 6 weeks of no pay. Some years are less, just depending on how many days I use for holidays and personal days.
WImom 10:47 AM 10-07-2013
I chose other: They pay if I'm open or it's a paid holiday. If I close due to my vacation or sickness then they do not pay.
melilley 11:03 AM 10-07-2013
I said 51 weeks. I give my families one week of unpaid vacation, but that is it. Oops now that I think about it, I do give my parents one free week and there is one week that I have that I can choose to close that would not be paid so I guess it would be 50 or 51 depending if I take the second vacation week. (I have 2 weeks of vacation, one paid and one not)
GabsKids 11:10 AM 10-07-2013
I take one week off in the summer that is unpaid. I am taking the week between Christmas and New Year's this year also which will be unpaid. I also take around 3 Friday's off per year for long camping weekends, which are unpaid.

I have 10 paid Holidays per year.

Basically, if I am closed, they don't pay, unless it's a holiday. If I am open and they don't come on a contracted day, they pay.
mema 11:19 AM 10-07-2013
I put 51 weeks. If everyone takes everything they can, that's what it would be. I take holidays and 10 days paid and they can have 5 days unpaid with proper notice. If I close for anything else, it's unpaid, so I guess it could be less. This year I only took 8 of my 10 days, but will be taking an unpaid day since I have in my contract that I will give at least 2 week notice and this will be less. I have 1 dcm that will pay regardless. I remind her every year about her vacation time and she says to not worry about it. I closed for an emergency last year and I normally just take a day off of the pay the following week, but she says not to worry.
MamaBearCanada 12:02 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
this

I don't charge for summer or March break but I do charge for stat hols. Christmas Break is one week paid one unpaid. I am also closed unpaid 10 days during the school year. I have 5 paid sick days.

I voted school year but actually should have voted other... Ooops
spinnymarie 02:23 PM 10-07-2013
Right now I'm school-year only, only paid when school is in session and a few weeks before school when teachers set up their classroom. Works out to about 40 wks/year.
spud912 02:29 PM 10-07-2013
Wow it's so interesting to see what everyone does! Thanks for all the feedback!
Reply Up