Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>sleep training help
childcaremom 09:44 AM 04-24-2015
Dcb, 12 months, used to having a bottle and being rocked to fall asleep for nap. I cannot do this and will be having a chat with parents. This did not come up in the interview and they only just informed me. He is not a scheduled baby at all, which they did tell me, and I told them I would be working to get him on our schedule. I did not know about the rocking (and honestly woudn't have signed them on).

Is there a gentle way to transition him from this? He seems ready to go to only one nap a day but hard to say as he was not here in the morning this week. I know he has not been having a morning nap at home and Dad suggested they would like to push back his nap time.

He has only been here for three half days this week so don't know what his morning was like but day one was a lot of crying, day two had him nap for 2 hours (he did fall asleep in his high chair first) and today saw only 30 minutes.

I have not given him a bottle or held him as I don't want him to get used to that here with me.

Today, I gave him his bottle in his high chair after lunch and then laid him down, he cried for 5 minutes, fell asleep and woke up screaming after 30 minutes.

I would like to have a good start to the week next week and looking for suggestions on how to approach this.
Shell 10:00 AM 04-24-2015
Ok, I might get flamed for this.
I don't do bottles past one year old, and I switch to one nap a day at one. When I worked in centers, this is how it was done, so I do this way also and it works pretty well.
For parents that insist on bringing a bottle (even though I frown upon it, I do allow it), I let the child feed them self and sometimes give them the rest at nap- they usually chug it and fall asleep.
No rocking, just in the pack and play or mat.

Sorry if I come across as rude or not caring enough (I do), but by 12 months, I feel a child can self soothe.

Hth
Thriftylady 10:24 AM 04-24-2015
I have the same issue. I told parents I do not give bottles over 12 months don't even bring it here. And mom said DCG has to be rocked to sleep. Don't do that here either. Every day this week, she has screamed in the PNP all of nap time. I know she is tired. A bit ago I was rocking her and she fell asleep and she woke up when I got up to put her in PNP guess who is bouncing up and down screaming? I hate to just let her scream but what else is there? Oh and when mine won't sleep at night, mom sleeps in the recliner with her.
childcaremom 02:52 PM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Ok, I might get flamed for this.
I don't do bottles past one year old, and I switch to one nap a day at one. When I worked in centers, this is how it was done, so I do this way also and it works pretty well.
For parents that insist on bringing a bottle (even though I frown upon it, I do allow it), I let the child feed them self and sometimes give them the rest at nap- they usually chug it and fall asleep.
No rocking, just in the pack and play or mat.

Sorry if I come across as rude or not caring enough (I do), but by 12 months, I feel a child can self soothe.

Hth
We finish lunch and then I set the bottle on the tray for him to have himself. The first day he refused to hold it, the second day he fell asleep and the third day he caved and held it himself.

Ideally, he finishes the bottle while we read our stories, then we all say good night to our friends and get tucked in.

I have no problem doing this for the meantime. Mom plans to switch to milk within the month, which means a sippy cup only.

He started screaming as soon as he saw the pnp and did not sleep. His older sister was sure to tell me that he needed his bubba and to be rocked to sleep. Sigh.

How long do you let them cry? If it is a full out wailing session do you go in at all? Any time I went in it just made it worse. I've never had a child cry longer than 10 minutes and that only lasted a few days.

I think I am as stressed as he is.
childcaremom 02:55 PM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have the same issue. I told parents I do not give bottles over 12 months don't even bring it here. And mom said DCG has to be rocked to sleep. Don't do that here either. Every day this week, she has screamed in the PNP all of nap time. I know she is tired. A bit ago I was rocking her and she fell asleep and she woke up when I got up to put her in PNP guess who is bouncing up and down screaming? I hate to just let her scream but what else is there? Oh and when mine won't sleep at night, mom sleeps in the recliner with her.
Do you go in to reassure her at any point?

Not sure if I am defeating the purpose by going in to him. I refuse to rock, hold or snuggle this child to sleep.

I tell parents our routine during interviews so not sure why she wouldn't have told me this was their routine.

He is a sweet kid and very independent otherwise.
Thriftylady 03:00 PM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Do you go in to reassure her at any point?

Not sure if I am defeating the purpose by going in to him. I refuse to rock, hold or snuggle this child to sleep.

I tell parents our routine during interviews so not sure why she wouldn't have told me this was their routine.

He is a sweet kid and very independent otherwise.
I go in to reassure her and she will quit screaming the minute she sees me walking towards the room and hold her hands up for me to pick her up. The second I walk away, she resumes screaming. It is a fit for sure, not a cry KWIM?
childcaremom 03:02 PM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I go in to reassure her and she will quit screaming the minute she sees me walking towards the room and hold her hands up for me to pick her up. The second I walk away, she resumes screaming. It is a fit for sure, not a cry KWIM?
This guy is crying. Loudly and with conviction.

He is very used to this routine from the sounds of it. If they are still doing it at home, is it worth the time to train him here?
Thriftylady 04:04 PM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
This guy is crying. Loudly and with conviction.

He is very used to this routine from the sounds of it. If they are still doing it at home, is it worth the time to train him here?
Well sometimes you can get them trained to learn the difference, and not have issues. Did it with my grandson. But this girl I have right now, I am not sure if I can train her, I have given it a week. With kids I have had before in a week I had seen some improvement, in this case I have seen none. I really don't know.
Reply Up