Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Question For BC
midaycare 08:42 AM 11-03-2016
I have the same potty training policy as you stated in a previous post, where you don't really stress about it, but what do you do when dck's are older and their diapers aren't holding their bm's?

It's becoming a sanitation issue. It's not as simple as calling for pickup, because the issue is the things his upper butt/back touches before I realize he has a bm. Dcb is really skinny and pants fall off him.
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have the same potty training policy as you stated in a previous post, where you don't really stress about it, but what do you do when dck's are older and their diapers aren't holding their bm's?

It's becoming a sanitation issue. It's not as simple as calling for pickup, because the issue is the things his upper butt/back touches before I realize he has a bm. Dcb is really skinny and pants fall off him.
Better fitting diapers? I know there really are some better brands for older or larger kids. My oldest kids in diapers use either Pampers or Target Up and Up brand and I've had no issues with either of them.

Also, if the child is older...they really shouldn't be having loose BM's anyways.

If so, then I'd address that before anything else.
A good probiotic or a change in diet...

A poor diet usually produces A LOT more waste than one where a child is eats a well balanced healthy diet. kwim?

Part of being ready for toilet training too is the physical changes I believe should happen before attempting to train. Things such more solid poos and not necessarily pooping every day or at the very least pooping with some sort of regularity each day.

So my advice would be to address the diet first and see what is going on there.. If he isn't in the training process, I'd totally ask DCM to use a onsie---although I know he might be a big large/old for one but it would eliminate his getting "stuff" on anything.
Leigh 09:20 AM 11-03-2016

Pampers Cruisers go up to size 7, and I haven't had one fail on me yet.
Baby Beluga 09:25 AM 11-03-2016
How much does the child weigh and what size diaper is he in now? Depending on that he may just need a larger size. If he is already in a larger size (tall kids need to go up to, not just chunky ones) then I think I would request a goodnights pull up over his diaper. That should help to catch any mess before it comes out.
midaycare 10:27 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Better fitting diapers? I know there really are some better brands for older or larger kids. My oldest kids in diapers use either Pampers or Target Up and Up brand and I've had no issues with either of them.

Also, if the child is older...they really shouldn't be having loose BM's anyways.

If so, then I'd address that before anything else.
A good probiotic or a change in diet...

A poor diet usually produces A LOT more waste than one where a child is eats a well balanced healthy diet. kwim?

Part of being ready for toilet training too is the physical changes I believe should happen before attempting to train. Things such more solid poos and not necessarily pooping every day or at the very least pooping with some sort of regularity each day.

So my advice would be to address the diet first and see what is going on there.. If he isn't in the training process, I'd totally ask DCM to use a onsie---although I know he might be a big large/old for one but it would eliminate his getting "stuff" on anything.
The loose BM's have been an issue with this dcb. Ironically, the two dck's who eat the healthiest - both vegetarian, tons of veggies, parents are super health conscious - have the worst, loosest stools. I had dcb's parents take him to the doctor twice to make sure he was okay. They checked everything. He seems to be okay. We've kept food journals. Nothing seems to be the culprit.

Perhaps another diaper brand. Dcb is pretty consistent, having bm's here every day, but when I ask him if he has one, he will tell me "no". I think he really doesn't realize, I don't think he is lying. He is incapable of lying, as far as I've seen. It's kind of weird for the age, but that's a different story. This is the dcb who I thought had asperbergs (wow, spelling) and you pointed out not so much!
midaycare 10:29 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Pampers Cruisers go up to size 7, and I haven't had one fail on me yet.
That is helpful. I've only ever seen up to size 6! Passing along that little tidbit to the dcf tonight.
midaycare 10:31 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
How much does the child weigh and what size diaper is he in now? Depending on that he may just need a larger size. If he is already in a larger size (tall kids need to go up to, not just chunky ones) then I think I would request a goodnights pull up over his diaper. That should help to catch any mess before it comes out.
I'm not sure on his weight, and he isn't tall nor short, but he is very, very skinny. His pants are always falling off him, and so is his diaper. He is in a larger diaper, but he has nothing to keep it up. I'm always looking at butt crack His pants literally do fall off. He will be walking and they just fall to his feet.
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 11-03-2016
The loose BM's have been an issue with this dcb. Ironically, the two dck's who eat the healthiest - both vegetarian, tons of veggies, parents are super health conscious - have the worst, loosest stools. I had dcb's parents take him to the doctor twice to make sure he was okay. They checked everything. He seems to be okay. We've kept food journals. Nothing seems to be the culprit.

Perhaps another diaper brand. Dcb is pretty consistent, having bm's here every day, but when I ask him if he has one, he will tell me "no". I think he really doesn't realize, I don't think he is lying. He is incapable of lying, as far as I've seen. It's kind of weird for the age, but that's a different story. This is the dcb who I thought had asperbergs (wow, spelling) and you pointed out not so much!
I would still really stress the use of a probiotic.

I had a little gal a while back that had a super healthy diet too but her stools were so loose.... Added a daily serving of Kerfir and it seriously solved the loose poop issue. I think eating overly healthy and/or vegan is a good thing but not always a well balance thing...kwim?

You could add Kerfir to your breakfast menu too and I bet you'd see a lot of change in the kids' poop.

http://www.kefir.net/what-is-kefir/
Leigh 11:34 AM 11-03-2016
That is helpful. I've only ever seen up to size 6! Passing along that little tidbit to the dcf tonight.
I have to get my size 7's from Amazon, which is fine, since they're almost always cheaper there.
happymom 11:39 AM 11-03-2016
If sizing up diapers won't work, I'd have the parents grab some Thirsties Duo Wrap (in size 2), they have a pretty high rise adjustment and work well for skinny kids. Just put it on over the diaper. It's got elastic front and back and velcro makes it easy to adjust the waistband to fit nice and snug to contain blowouts.
midaycare 11:48 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would still really stress the use of a probiotic.

I had a little gal a while back that had a super healthy diet too but her stools were so loose.... Added a daily serving of Kerfir and it seriously solved the loose poop issue. I think eating overly healthy and/or vegan is a good thing but not always a well balance thing...kwim?

You could add Kerfir to your breakfast menu too and I bet you'd see a lot of change in the kids' poop.

http://www.kefir.net/what-is-kefir/
You are preaching to the choir. I eat mainly eggplant, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, edamame, and carrots. My diet is far from balanced. Good advice! I can't stomach kefir, but maybe dcb could. Kids are awesome like that.
midaycare 11:49 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
If sizing up diapers won't work, I'd have the parents grab some Thirsties Duo Wrap (in size 2), they have a pretty high rise adjustment and work well for skinny kids. Just put it on over the diaper. It's got elastic front and back and velcro makes it easy to adjust the waistband to fit nice and snug to contain blowouts.
Great tip, thank you!
LostMyMarbles 12:04 PM 11-03-2016
You guy are way more tollerant than I am. Hell to the no would I suffer
through anyone older than 3 in diapers. I had a 4 year old vegetarian in diapers. I would dry heave changing her. I told her mom I was done with that. I told her that her daughter was highly intelligent and I didn't care how long she wanted to change those diapers but I was done! She asked me what to do. We started potty training the next day. She has one wet accident and that was all. Those horrific diapers were a thing of the past. Good bless you all who can stomach that.
happymom 12:21 PM 11-03-2016
I re-read through the thread but didn't find it, how old is he?
mommyneedsadayoff 01:00 PM 11-03-2016
He needs a smaller diaper and while vegan may be deemed as healthy by some, I would need to know what his vegan diet consists of. I had a gluten free family whose idea of healthy was basically any processed food with no gluten. Very little whole foods and they compensated for the restricted diet by giving a lot of juice, so runny poop and diaper rash were constant.
midaycare 01:12 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
I re-read through the thread but didn't find it, how old is he?
Turned 3 in March.
midaycare 01:14 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
He needs a smaller diaper and while vegan may be deemed as healthy by some, I would need to know what his vegan diet consists of. I had a gluten free family whose idea of healthy was basically any processed food with no gluten. Very little whole foods and they compensated for the restricted diet by giving a lot of juice, so runny poop and diaper rash were constant.
It's a whole food, actual healthy diet. I had them keep a fiod journal and dcb will eat all my healthy foods. Any veggie. I totally believe their food journal.
happymom 02:35 PM 11-03-2016
Turned 3 in March.
Great, I was just making sure my suggestion for the size 2 duo wrap was a good one.
Reply Up